It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volkswagen could face $18bn fine over secret device that 'intentionally cut emissions'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

Well still a bit funny yes when you see that the vast majority of cars in the US are like small trucks..

www.gizmag.com...
Despite ongoing efforts to wean itself off the teat of foreign oil, the U.S. car market is still almost twice as polluting as Europe and Japan.

So that's why it sounds funny to me.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Pluginn

Wasn't it Volkswagen banned from selling a certain car in the states because it was too efficient?

Yep they do have a banned car. Banned for getting 300mpg. Somthing tells me that this beef came from the banned car last year.
edit on 08915p00820 by snypwsd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: spav5
Gm has to pay only 99 million for killing 124 people and now they want Volkswagon to pay in the billions for evading a regulation? sounds about right. SMH.

The us also banned a Volkswagen car from being sold in the states last year because it got 300 mpg.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: snypwsd

Haven't heard about that (will look it up) but I do think the latest diesel (hybrids) engines from VW are a great threat for the US power & US car makers. People would buy way and way less gasoline when they would use VW diesel(hybrids) cars and oil in dollars is important with the world currency and most of the oil being sold in dollars.. so it has free dollars to print.
Although Ford for example also makes pretty good fuel efficient diesel cars.. at least here in Europe.
But still if many many people would drive very fuel efficient diesel (hybrid) cars I do think it would be a problem..

I mean Libya, Iraq and Iran all wanted to sell their oil in euro's... just recently Iran made a deal with the US (lifting their sanctions) and they keep on selling it in dollars again.
edit on 20-9-2015 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

How can you possibly support VW in this?

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: snypwsd

Wasn't it Volkswagen banned from selling a certain car in the states because it was too efficient?

Yep they do have a banned car. Banned for getting 300mpg. Somthing tells me that this beef came from the banned car last year.

Complete lie.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It's not about supporting VW, more about the fact this fine seems out of all proportions (may it be as high) and it seems suspicious.

But sure the US got this silly culture where you can get crazy fines or sentences which may seem normal for most people in the US but surely don't seems normal let alone justified in the rest of the world.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Volkswagen has been fined exactly zero dollars.
They will pay nowhere near 18 billion when the dust settles.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pluginn

It's not about supporting VW, more about the fact this fine seems out of all proportions (may it be as high) and it seems suspicious.

But sure the US got this silly culture where you can get crazy fines or sentences which may seem normal for most people in the US but surely don't seems normal let alone justified in the rest of the world.

They were sneaky and underhanded and got caught. Lesson: Don't be a scumbag company.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pluginn
18 billion.... This is why many car makers don't sell cars in the US because of the danger you get fined like crazy...

Personally I think it's just a way to hurt foreign competition, look how they fined Toyota before and other foreign car makers.
Sure GM also got fined but that is like peanuts compared (only a 100 million fine), even when that fault killed hundreds of people!

They wouldn't be facing the fine if they didn't do something highly deceptive and illegal. This isn't something minor, this is a serious public health hazard, like if a company were pumping toxic waste into a playground, it's that serious. VW knew what they were doing because they designed systems that would secretly circumvent the exhaust tests.

They deserve the fine, they deserve the cost of fixing the cars, and if that means they no longer sell here, it's not a big loss. Do you really want unsafe products being sold?

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

They deserve the fine, they deserve the cost of fixing the cars, and if that means they no longer sell here, it's not a big loss.

They will still sell here. They cannot afford not to. But they will probably be more careful about the rules (and mileage claims).

Actually, it was a pretty good cheat. But still, a cheat.
edit on 9/20/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Scumbag company? I say good on them. The U.S. Government makes all of these stupid rules and regulations in the name of safety, and protecting the environment that has completely destroyed availability and selection of vehicles that are years ahead of the crap they pass off as vehicles here.

If the government had to abide by its own rules it would have imploded years ago, but it keeps chugging away because it doesn't follow its own rules. It conducts itself in a manner which would see us common folk jailed or worse.

There is so much innovation out there now that people's heads would spin. But we get lumbering inefficient overpriced junk. A different recall every month. Crap that is designed not to last ten years.

More companies need to tell the EPA where they can shove their mandates. And so do people.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

The U.S. Government makes all of these stupid rules and regulations in the name of safety, and protecting the environment that has completely destroyed availability and selection of vehicles that are years ahead of the crap they pass off as vehicles here.

Yeah. Dammit!
Stupid safety.
Stupid environment.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Dude, the vehicles that are out there are very efficient. Not allowed here because of lighter frames and design. VW actually manufactured super efficient TDI diesels here in the U.S. Surprise, we exported all of them because the near 80 mpg was too efficient. More innovation stifled by beurocrasy.

As far as safety is concerned, all the safety features in the world will not help stupid people be better drivers. In fact, vehicles are making a generation of mindless drivers. Why would they worry if the thing stops itself, parks itself, has proximity sensors and cameras because mirrors were somehow burdensome and you might actually have to physically turn and look behind you.

So yea. Stupid safety, and stupid environmental protection agency.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Dude, the vehicles that are out there are very efficient.

Yeah. I know.
My 1980 Honda Civic got 40 miles.
Thing is, it dumped a lot of crap into the atmosphere while doing so. I don't like to breath crap.

edit on 9/20/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

False. It was not because they were too efficient. They are efficient because they remove all the safety features. Those safety features are not fluff, they are required.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh

Scumbag company? I say good on them. The U.S. Government makes all of these stupid rules and regulations in the name of safety, and protecting the environment that has completely destroyed availability and selection of vehicles that are years ahead of the crap they pass off as vehicles here.

If the government had to abide by its own rules it would have imploded years ago, but it keeps chugging away because it doesn't follow its own rules. It conducts itself in a manner which would see us common folk jailed or worse.

There is so much innovation out there now that people's heads would spin. But we get lumbering inefficient overpriced junk. A different recall every month. Crap that is designed not to last ten years.

More companies need to tell the EPA where they can shove their mandates. And so do people.

I think you'd love it in China.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
So where would the $18 billion dollars go?

Bet you not a dime will go to green energy or reducing emissions on U.S. Based cars.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

Bet you not a dime will go to green energy or reducing emissions on U.S. Based cars.

Not sure what you mean. Do you think that it should be given to GM?

Fines are meant to be punitive. The proceeds are used to help finance the operations of the authority which levies them. It means VW helps pay more .

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I mean use that money for green energy campaigns, research and development, and installation of more renewable energy sources.

If they're taking from VW $18b for an emissions standard law, then shouldn't the U.S. be using that money for their own means to reduce emissions in the country? Or will the United States magically get 20 new PGA courses funded by an "anyonomous" entity.

18 Billion dollars can go a long way when it has a purpose. In perspective the curiosity rover to Mars mission cost around $2.5-$3 billion dollars, and the New Horozon mission cost around $700 million.

But again some new elite golf courses coming soon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join