It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question - do you have VOIP phone service?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
For my home, I have a regular land line for my telephone service. I hate to keep track of minutes used, so I have one of these plans that covers unlimited local and long distance for a flat fee of $54.99/month. It is one of the major US carriers.

Recently, I find out that Vonage offers Voice Over IP (VOIP) sevice at $30 a month LESS than my current serviice. It works by using my broadband connection as the medium. $30/month is a signifcant savings.

My question to the board is, has anyone switched to VOIP? If so, could you share your experiences, good or bad? Would you switch back, or are you happy with VOIP?

Thanks

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
My friend uses VoIP and it really blowed. He got reallyyy bad serbice for almost a montth, and it relies on the relyaabiliy fo the broodband provider. Its ont worth it, if you havea #tty cable or dsl company then youd be out of luck when tyring to make a call.

Sorry for some bad tiping, mom gave a BIT tooo much vdoka in ma soda.

Ill try and cleer it up tomorrrow.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Yes, I use VoIP service.. it's called Optimum Voice and is supplied by our cable company Cablevision. To get it, you must subscribe to the online service Optimum Online. Since we got both together, it's $30/month per service for first year. (We got it in July)... after that, Online goes back to $45/month and Voice goes back to $35/month.

With Voice, you get unlimited local and long-distance calling with Caller-ID, Call-Waiting and all that jazz for one low monthly rate.

I remember using AT&T... our bills were $46-55/month... with no additional features such as Caller-ID!

As with problems... we've had none so far. It's been perfect.

Technology rocks.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

[edit on 1/1/05 by prophetmike]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Well, they seem to offer everything that my current carrier does, for less than half the price. And -maybe someone can verify this- an interesting feature of portability. The lady I spoke with said that I will receive a phone adapter that plugs into my broadband connection. I live in the northeast, and if I traveled to Florida, I could take the adapter with me, plug it into a broaband connection there, and receive and make all my calls as if I were at home. Nice feature, if true.

[edit on 2-1-2005 by jsobecky]

[edit on 2-1-2005 by jsobecky]

top topics

join