It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We don't think that differently. From atheist to mormon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=19833443]deadlyhope[/post Thank you for the reply, I've never experienced a community that goes back generations in their religion. It always fascinates me how different people can be from state to state or even from town to town. I have been to Utah a few times, but never even met a Mormon when I was there and if I did, I didn't know it. Thank you again for sharing.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SilentHill666

It is believed that when Jesus was resurrected, he visited the Americas.

The topic of Joseph Smith is a tougher one, and while I may have my personal beliefs, and while it is a key part of the lds religion, it is not a piece I am as focused on as other aspects.

It is believed that Joseph Smith used a urim and thummim. These are referenced in some other books, such as the Hebrew Bible. They are basically instruments, or tools that helped Joseph Smith translate the book of Mormon.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

No problem! My main intention is to allow others to see that blanket statements should not be made about Christians in specific. Some believe in evolution, many love science and even some apostles are known in fields of different sciences.

I've seen a lot of negativity towards Christians about different things I've just never seen in my whole life, and I've lived in Utah all my life moving to different places every couple years.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Thank you again for your reply.There are some threads here on ATS that mention the rumor I mentioned, I also heard it mention in the comment section of a news article from a local paper.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

There are a lot of rumors. Here are a few:

Mormons wear magical underwear
We believe dinosaurs never existed, it's just a trick played by Satan
We believe the earth to be only several thousand years old
We don't believe in any form of evolution

Just off the top of my head xD

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   

So you put a limit on what a person can do? Do you believe that given thousands of years, that if humans were peaceful and collaborative and strived for a common goal, that we could not eventually terraform another planet into being inhabitable by humans? And dictate that habitat.. Would that not define us as gods, in their eyes?

You say if humans were peaceful? Well, when have they been peaceful? History shows constant war and strife. There has been and will always be war and strife. War is the number one way to make a guaranteed profit both during war and during "alleged" times of peace (depending which country is talking). This can be seen by how much money the "superpower countries" spend on their defense budget......building and selling war machines.

Mankind has proven time and time again that we are a war-like race. Greed, jealousy, hate, pride, favouritism are just a few emotions that all of mankind are subject to that will NEVER make us gods let alone rule over any planet. It has also proven that we can not rule over ourselves on this rock!

To anyone who thinks we are ruling over this planet and its people needs to step way back and take another look around.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Put it this way, if the circumstances that created us had a 1x10 to the trillionth power of happening, there's still a possible infinite number of world's out there that could have life similar to humans. If there's only that same chance that the whole world is peaceful with each other.. There's another possible infinite number of peaceful world's capable of sustaining life, and peaceful as well . So even if we don't have faith in our own world, we could believe in another world, somewhere, doing things better, smarter, etc.

I agree with you that it's not likely our world will ever reach that point.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Try John 14:26, 27. It talks about two different kinds of peace that come from two different places. One is temporary, and the other is eternal.

Just like deadlyhope said, we can evolve, we can change, and that can bring about a better thinking, an improved mindset that doesnt include need for war.

Yes we are all subject to our emotions, unless we practice self mastery we are slaves to our feelings and thoughts. Any belief system that teaches self control is giving great advice. Peace will not be accomplished by treaties and governments. It will be accomplished individually, and subtly within the walls of a home. This is one of many reasons why we put so much emphasis on family.
edit on 21-9-2015 by HAZE3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Evolution isn't an atheist belief system. It is just a scientific theory and it doesn't preclude atheism to believe it is true. So saying that you believe in Evolution as a religious person really isn't that impressive of a mention. It may be here on ATS where there is a vocal crowd that seems to suggest that Evolution IS an atheist belief system, but they are wrong and presenting strawmans.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Evolution is the most common belief system outside of creationism. Sure, their are outlying beliefs, but they are hardly common enough to mention. The high, high majority of people believe in either evolution, creationism, or a combination.

I'm not intending to be impressive, simply intending to be informative. My beliefs of creationism and evolution going together are more widely believed by more people than assumed, threads on ats show a lack of realizing this, so I am bringing it to the front.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Well as long as you understand that belief in evolution isn't some atheist belief, then carry on. It appeared to me that you brought it up because you thought it was relevant to atheist beliefs, so that's why I said what I said.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join