It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice: Transporting a desktop computer.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

I need to move my desktop computer which involves a 3 hour flight (I have decided to take it as extra baggage). I have the base unit (no manufacturer's packaging) and a 22" LCD monitor (with manufacturer's packaging).

I have built all my desktop computers in the last 18 years (I am one of the old brigade that started with Win 2.1 lol). My last build was 2 years ago and I still have the motherboard manual. My idea was to remove the dvd drive, hard disks, memory, graphics card, CPU and the motherboard. Place in anti-static bags where necessary and pack all the components inside the base casing with bubble wrap. The base unit will be transported surrounded by rolled up towels and bedding in the suitcase. The boxed monitor will be packed similar in another case.

I did search on the net about desktop PC transportation and everything I have read suggests just packing the base unit as is which will result in a small risk of cards unseating or connectors becoming unplugged. Has anyone tried this method and was there any damage?

I did contemplate using the opportunity to upgrade but performance increase to cost ratio (or is it the other way round) is very high.

Thanks for any help/advice.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
My advice is to pack it just like you have planned... Maybe add a clock that beeps a lot, and make sure to wear a turban and a robe and say Allah Akbar alot, you should have no problems at all.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I used to transport mine in a rugged keyboard road case. It was ideal because I could fit everything, including monitor, in one hard case.

It worked well for me.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: deliberator
In my opinion, leave everything as-is, and have a store that specializes in packaging, do a proper job for you. The small cost will be worth it. Once it arrives, check connections and re-seat cards or memory if necessary. I've shipped units this way, and have had nil issues. Just make sure the box is large enough, so there's plenty of packing around the tower.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Pack however you want but if you leave it all intact it should be fine anyway. As long as nothing is floating around and banging into other parts you'll be fine. Even if a card comes unseated it will only come out of the slot a tiny bit and still wont be able to move around. The board will hold the memory and cpu in place and as long as the drives are secured they won't move either.

The thing to worry about the most is the screen. Flat screen monitors can be damaged easily by just putting enough force on the screen and it doesn't take much.

Once you arrive just check to make sure all the components are secured before turning it on.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Keep it assembled, pack it so it's not slamming around in the case its packed in and you should be fine.

ETA: yeah, what mOjOm said above me. Especially the part about checking that everything is secure before firing it up
edit on 9/20/2015 by dogstar23 because: Adding

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
As a thought if your paranoid about it you could take out the hard disk if it has the rotating platters and carry it with you. Or put the OS and files on a SSD and not worry about it. Duplicate your work files out on the cloud and download them if needed. And if you upgraded to Windows 10 take along a USB drive with the Windows 10 install and any other installation software you might need if a disaster strikes. You might still have to buy a Laptop at the other end if they lose it or drop it off a 15 ft high conveyor belt into a shipping bin.

Buy a laptop. Did you see the garbage truck they were using 1/3 way through the video?

edit on 20-9-2015 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
My advise is to ship it UPS. Allow UPS to pack all your electronics. Then simple insure the package. You cannot insure anything at the airlines. You can bet the airlines will be rougher with your precious package than UPS will.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
My advise is to ship it UPS. Allow UPS to pack all your electronics. Then simple insure the package. You cannot insure anything at the airlines. You can bet the airlines will be rougher with your precious package than UPS will.

Honestly, this is the best idea.
Either UPS or courier or something. Pay the extra for insurance.

I know it's an additional cost, but I wouldn't want to take a desktop on a flight. I just wouldn't trust them to be careful enough with everything.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
UPS or Fedex. If you have a aftermarket CPU heatsink, you might want to brace that some.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Thanks for all the advice. I will take them on board. I will also find out courier costs.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

This is what I would do as well.
Ship it UPS or similar, insure it.

top topics

join