It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians 'martyred for beliefs every FIVE MINUTES by Islamic State and other terrorists'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: cosmickat
a reply to: TechUnique

How do you know that your collection of holy words is correct ?

You are now starting to derail this thread so I'm not going to respond to your rhetoric.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Any loss of life is tragic, but I have to ask you shouldn't you be more concerned with non Christians being killed? In your view Christians are saved and will enter paradise upon death, everyone else will be going to hell. One of the main goals of Christians is to save those who have not accepted Christ. So shouldn't you be more concerned with all the people dying before being saved?

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaws1975
Any loss of life is tragic, but I have to ask you shouldn't you be more concerned with non Christians being killed? In your view Christians are saved and will enter paradise upon death, everyone else will be going to hell. One of the main goals of Christians is to save those who have not accepted Christ. So shouldn't you be more concerned with all the people dying before being saved?

That's a very good point. It's not a case of me having no concern for non Christians dying. I wrote this thread specifically with more a concern regarding the general apathy towards people dying who are Christian.

For instance: 10 White middle class non-Christian Americans being murdered would garner a much bigger emotional response than 10 Christian children who are not white.

Not that I'm trying to turn this into a racial thing, even if there are some racial elements to it.

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechUnique

originally posted by: markosity1973

You're going to have to elaborate. As far as I was aware a Coptic Christian is simply a Christian who is Egyptian?

How are they 'pretty much' Catholics? I don't understand your post at all.

Sure

Today, there is a small population of Coptic Christians remaining in Alexandria, but most are located elsewhere. Estimates of the current population of the Coptic Church range from 10 million to 60 million members worldwide. Theologically, Coptic Christianity is very similar to Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy. They profess to be genuine followers of Jesus Christ and a part of His worldwide Church. But, as with Catholicism, they tend to emphasize meritorious works in salvation along with liturgical ritual rather than salvation through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

www.gotquestions.org...

As a Catholic, I've been to Coptic mass and it is pretty much the same thing. Same goes for High Anglican mass and Orthodox mass. The oldest churches have almost identical belief systems (although the Ethiopian orthodox are very different and extremely fascinating)

The only thing that makes Roman Catholicism what it is, is the Vatican in Rome. Actual doctrine is so similar it is to the point of splitting hairs once you remove the hierarchy from it and other original churches.

Actually in terms of doctrine there are many differences between the two. (Catholics vs Protestants)

To get into an in depth debate over this would derail the thread though but I love a theological debate so feel free to PM me.

To add one last thought to this;

Orthodox, Coptics and Catholics are the same family - You may see them as Protestant, we see them as brothers and the truth is they bridge the gap between both parties. They are far closer to us in belief than your average American revivalists. For instance, we all share the rosary and venerate the Virgin Mary. They also have holy icons and statues, something abhorrent to newer protestants.

In fact here is a Coptic church in Zeitoun with a well documented Marian miracle - even the Egyptian president saw this! And to put this video in context, it is one story from a longer video called 'Marian Apparitions Of The 20th Century' that was widely circulated within the Catholic church's believers - we had a copy at home in NZ for instance and it was bought from the Catholic bookshop.

If you really want to get into it, you can message me also, but I am telling you that the Coptics and Orthodox are definitely something Catholics are comfortable with and often vice versa as long as we leave Rome out of it.
edit on 19-9-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

I get you. Thanks for clearing that up. For a moment I thought you were saying that protestants and catholics are basically the same doctrinally speaking. Because in my experience nothing could be further from the truth.

I enjoyed your comments and learned a lot from them so thanks for that.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
In my humble opinion religion never was " the opiate of the people " instead it is more akin to the crack coc aine while tripping out in some kind of meth amphetamine craze of the people. The biggest thing history can tell us is that millions have died in the name of a " merciful god " whose teachings they are following. In my experience truly spiritual people do not wear their religion like a club badge, they are at one with their god, whatever form that takes. They live a life of tolerance, are non judgemental and never preach. Kinda the opposite of all structured organised religions.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

How do you know that your collection of holy words is correct ?

You are now starting to derail this thread so I'm not going to respond to your rhetoric.
forgive me, no derailment intended at all. But you did begin by introducing a rhetoric theme of "Christian persecution" "bible prophecies " and " evil Catholics " you don't work for Fox News by any chance do you ?

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

In my humble opinion religion never was " the opiate of the people " instead it is more akin to the crack coc aine while tripping out in some kind of meth amphetamine craze of the people. The biggest thing history can tell us is that millions have died in the name of a " merciful god " whose teachings they are following. In my experience truly spiritual people do not wear their religion like a club badge, they are at one with their god, whatever form that takes. They live a life of tolerance, are non judgemental and never preach. Kinda the opposite of all structured organised religions.

I'm not in a structured or organised religion. Neither do I wear my 'religion' like a 'club badge'. I don't even consider myself to be religious.

Also if I were to just keep it to myself as you seem to be suggesting; I wouldn't be carrying out the will of the Father which is to preach the gospel.

I can tell you are clearly confused and have made all sorts of assumptions about myself. That being said, our discussion is now verging well into off topic as a lot of these kind of threads often do.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Sorry, but I am less confused than you seem to be. You are right that I made assumptions after reading your first post. I assumed from what you had written you were outraged at the killing of Christians by radical Muslims. I am outraged by the devastation sweeping over a third of the globe by greedy corporations and illegal wars for profit. I also assumed that you were Christian after you had referenced the bible. You are appearing confused though having made the statement that although you do not consider yourself to be religious at all, you must however preach the gospel. ? Really though, if you don't want people to respond with their own viewpoint or question your posts, then don't invite it. Yes, Christians are being murdered, along with Jews, Muslims and every other flavour that is out there. The world is at war.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Everytime the us goes and bombs another country why does your president have to say god bless america.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Sorry, but I am less confused than you seem to be.

Right back at you. When I say I don't consider myself religious I mean that I don't follow the traditions of man or adhere to a specific church. For many reformed Christians the word religious applies more to someone who holds a largely ceremonial based faith such as a Catholic or many other faiths.

I am not subscribed to a church. I also don't have any routine religious practises or rituals.

Most of the things you say are bad I agree with you. Which just goes to show you are indeed confused and have made wrong assumptions about my own personal beliefs.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Ok..still not confused here. But at the risk of making further assumptions I will bid you a peaceful night. Christianity is a religion. No confusion there. Whether it be Protestant Catholic or fundamental et al

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Irony.
The Catholic religion accounts for more than half of Christianity, globally. For one Christian to say its time that they were seen as separate as they are inherently evil rings out an echo of the exact same consideration that certain followers of Islam ascribe to other followers of Islam. Same religion but utter disdain and no respect for the others beliefs. We all know how that plays out.

HE means the catholic leadership is corrupt. It was them and their templars who carried out the crusades(after the ones done by the muslims first) that did the persecution of other christians who were not bowing to rome.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
To put the OP article in context, here is what Pope Francis says on the subject

"These are our martyrs of today, and they are many. We can say that there are more of them now than there were in the early centuries. I hope the international community does not look on, mute and inert, at such an unacceptable crime," Francis said.

www.jpost.com...

No matter what denomination a Christian is, the persecution and martyrdom for faith is growing at an unacceptable rate.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Irony.
The Catholic religion accounts for more than half of Christianity, globally. For one Christian to say its time that they were seen as separate as they are inherently evil rings out an echo of the exact same consideration that certain followers of Islam ascribe to other followers of Islam. Same religion but utter disdain and no respect for the others beliefs. We all know how that plays out.

HE means the catholic leadership is corrupt. It was them and their templars who carried out the crusades(after the ones done by the muslims first) that did the persecution of other christians who were not bowing to rome.

Exactly. Thanks for reiterating.

originally posted by: markosity1973
To put the OP article in context, here is what Pope Francis says on the subject

"These are our martyrs of today, and they are many. We can say that there are more of them now than there were in the early centuries. I hope the international community does not look on, mute and inert, at such an unacceptable crime," Francis said.

www.jpost.com...

No matter what denomination a Christian is, the persecution and martyrdom for faith is growing at an unacceptable rate.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Who cares what faith they have? People are being killed. Regardless of what faith they ascribe to, PEOPLE are being killed. Christian and Muslim alike.

You putting so much emphasis on the Christian victims IS a persecution complex because it doesn't recognize others who are not of the Christian faith that have been killed by ISIS.

Why are you trying to paint Christians being killed as more tragic than people of other faiths being killed? I feel for every single person that is suffering over there equally, not just the ones that are a part of my group.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
By today's definition, it can't be considered persecution.

Why not?

Because they're Christians.

None of our so-called enlightened community will ever admit to that fact directly because it would put a spotlight on their hypocrisy, so don't expect many people agreeing with you, OP.

Like many other places, anti-Christian sentiment is in vogue on ATS. Oh, you'll get plenty of comments attempting to deflect by saying incredibly ignorant things, and never once will they admit that the eradication of Christianity would be something they would ultimately applaud as a good thing, regardless of how it was accomplished.

Just remember, there is no persecution of Christians; it's all in your head.

Says one of the 2.4 billion Christians on this planet hoping and praying for the return of a savior, and the "wrath" of his "father" who intends to murder billions of people on this planet during a so-called "tribulation", so you can inherit the earth. You sir, are a hypocrite. Come Lord Jesus, indeed.
edit on 9/19/2015 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Never Again Is "Now" - The Time To Act Is Now
www.abovetopsecret.com...

They are trying to get the Women and Children out and full families when possible.

www.mercuryone.org...

WHERE ARE THE RESCUED REFUGEES GOING TO END UP? We hope to be able to bring many of them to the United States. However, the United States remains closed to Christian refugees. Meanwhile, a number of European and South American countries have agreed to provide a limited number of VISAS to those we help evacuate.

philosproject.org/state-department-says-no-to-iraqi-christians/

Donors in the private sector have offered complete funding for the airfare and the resettlement in the United States of these Iraqi Christians. But the State Department – while admitting 4,425 Somalis to the United States in just the first six months of FY2015, and possibly even accepting members of ISIS through the Syrian and Iraqi refugee program, all paid for by tax dollars, told Dobbs that they “would not support a special category to bring Assyrian Christians into the United States.”

The United States government has made it clear that there is no way that Christians will be supported because of their religious affiliation, even though it is exactly that – their religious affiliation – that makes them candidates for asylum based on a credible fear of persecution from ISIS.

The president’s response appears to be United States policy. Evidence suggests that within the administration not only is there no passion for persecuted Christians under threat of genocide from the Islamic State, there is no room for them, period.

In fact, despite ISIS’ targeting of Iraqi Christians specifically because they are Christians, and, as such, stand in the way of a pure, Islamic Caliphate in the Middle East (and beyond), the U.S. State Department has made it clear that “there is no way that Christians will be supported because of their religious affiliation.”

edit on 19-9-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Wait wait wait wait,

Christians are not Catholics, and stop using # that happened 500 years ago as an excuse to act like an asshole today.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Meh....NM I'm not touching this one...

Next.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join