It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dictionary Game - Play

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The Dictionary Game - Play

My mother used to be full of big words. She read a book a day and sometimes 2. Not little books, novels. She loved to read and I decided to come up with a way to honor Mom.

I invented the Dictionary Game.

Okay, it is just a silly idea, but indulge me.

We could all use a little "edjumication" (borrowed from a member, they know who they are).

I am not asking for much, just pick a word in the dictionary...any word you like...and provide us with the definition (along with source) and use it in a sentence of your own.

Having a conversation with my Mom always left me running for a dictionary, heck, I even decided one day to just start carrying a pocket version whenever I knew I was going to be spending time with her.

Forget asking asking her what "it" (any word) meant, that just got the "stare" and a reminder to "look it up".

It infuriated her even more when I tried to use "big" words in conversation and I had no clue what the heck I was saying.

She challenged me to be better. Not a day goes by where I do not hear a whisper from my Mom, something in my ear, telling me to look it up first.

I will start the game with my Mom's least favorite word, ASSUME.

as·sume

as·sume [ə sm]
(past and past participle as·sumed, present participle as·sum·ing, 3rd person present singular as·sumes)
vt
1. suppose something: to accept that something is true without checking or confirming it
Don't assume that all has been revealed.

2. take responsibility for something: to start being responsible for something
She assumed all of her brother's debts when he died.

3. adopt something: to adopt or take on a quality
The task facing them assumed Herculean proportions.

4. undertake role: to undertake a role or function
assume a new role as sales director

5. pretend something: to put on a pretense of something, usually in order to hide true feelings
He assumed an air of indifference.

[15th century. < Latin assumere "take up" < sumere (see sumptuary)]

-as·sum·a·ble, , adj
-as·sumed, , adj
-as·sum·er, , n
Word Key: Synonyms

See deduce.

Now, I included much more information about my word, but all you have to do is just provide a simple definition and a simple sentence.

However, feel free to write as much as you wish to demonstrate your intelligence.

Feel free to include whatever definitions you desire of said word and the source of your information, please.

Here is my use of the word ASSUME:

For many years, there have been theories about many conspiracies from the origin of man to the words in the Bible to the events of Pearl Harbor to the assassinations of JFK and MLK to 9/11 and each and every one of them ASSUME facts not in evidence.

We can make this a debate about the word ASSUME if you wish, we can tackle any conspiracies listed, or you can just play along and contribute your word.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I love words, great game idea! (posting now so I can find this thread when I get home to post my word).

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Supercilious- Arrogant, Haughty, better than others.

The way in which Donald Trump came across in the latest T.V debates, was extremely supercilious.

www.vocabulary.com...

edit on 19/9/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Good word game.

I will be keeping my eye on this thread, and If I come across an unusual word throughout my day, I will participate.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Fun! My word:

Comprise

com·prise
kəmˈprīz/
verb
verb: comprise; 3rd person present: comprises; past tense: comprised; past participle: comprised; gerund or present participle: comprising

consist of; be made up of.
"the country comprises twenty states"
synonyms: consist of, be made up of, be composed of, contain, encompass, incorporate; More
include;
formalcomprehend
"the country comprises twenty states"
make up; constitute.
"this single breed comprises 50 percent of the Swiss cattle population"
synonyms: make up, constitute, form, compose; account for
"this breed comprises half the herd"

My sentence:

"I am surprised and disappointed at how often educated persons misuse the word comprise, mistakenly believing it is synonymous with the word compose."

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Before I add to the game, I think given you love of words you should take a gander at the Uxbridge English Dictionary.

An unofficial dictionary of word meanings based on a radio panel show called 'I am sorry I haven't a clue'. It is one of my favourites, and teh definitions will make you chuckle.

Uxbridge English Dictionary

Randomly flicked the dictionary and dragged my finger down the page I landed on Donkey.

Def: Long eared member of the horse family, 2: a person who is considered to a stupid or stubborn.

The donkey was very happy in his field with his friend Phil.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

"I am surprised and disappointed at how often educated persons misuse the word comprise, mistakenly believing it is synonymous with the word compose."

Allow me to edit your post...

I am surprised and disappointed at how often an educated person misuses the word comprise; mistakenly believing it is synonymous with the word compose.

Thanks for playing, but the OCD in me has a mind of its own.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

Good use of the word donkey, one has to wonder though, who the heck is Phil and is he happy

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

Well crappie, shouldn't be too hard...you used 2 possibilities in your reply

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

I am all a quiver with anticipation, I feel a Carly Simon song coming on

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Or Narcissistic...I can never tell the difference...good job though!

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I sort of mistook your rules and flicked the dictionary open, picked a random page, scrolled my finger down it and it landed on 'donkey'.

I hope Phil is happy. He was a random name out of the ether of my mind. He has a donkey though, so why wouldn't you be happy. Donkey's are great!

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

moist
mɔɪst/
adjective
adjective: moist; comparative adjective: moister; superlative adjective: moistest

slightly wet.
"the moist, fertile soil"

Phil did not know what it was but given that he was stood in a field at 3 in the morning and whatever "IT" was was moist he instantly regretted standing in it bare foot. He glanced accusingly at the donkey but it appeared not to notice and wandered off whistling.
edit on 19/9/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

LOL at me! I stand corrected!!!

I was paying so much attention to making sure I got comprise and compose right that I completely blew the rest of my sentence. If I'm lucky, that'll be my only comeuppance for the day... but I won't hold my breath!

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

LOL at me! I stand corrected!!!

I was paying so much attention to making sure I got comprise and compose right that I completely blew the rest of my sentence. If I'm lucky, that'll be my only comeuppance for the day... but I won't hold my breath!

I am surprised and disappointed at how often an educated person misuses the word comprise; mistakenly believing it is synonymous with the word compose.

Allow me to re-edit my edit:

I am surprised and disappointed at how educated people misuse the word comprise; often, mistaking that it is synonymous with the word compose.

Eventually, I will get it right!

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Worked for Shrek! Eddie played a great donkey!

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Really testing the OCD here, however, I will abstain (refrain from something: to choose not to do something)

and possibly refrain (hold self back: to avoid doing something or hold yourself back from doing something)

for fear of alienating (make somebody unfriendly: to cause somebody to change his or her previously friendly or supportive attitude and become unfriendly, unsympathetic, or hostile).

Thanks for playing!

edit on 19-9-2015 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

So did you two collaborate (work with others: to work with another person or group in order to achieve something) on purpose or was this random, too?

edit on 19-9-2015 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I love the word "conniption."
I think its used more in America,but was possibly taken there by British settlers/invaders back in the day.
I am trying to bring it back across the pond,but few folks know what it means over here sadly.

conniption ‎(plural conniptions) (informal) A fit of anger or panic; conniption fit

en.wiktionary.org...

And my sentence-

"Poor little Timmeh from Ouagadougou was so sick of his school mates making South Park jokes about him that he went into a total conniption."

Bonus points for Ouagadougou,surely?
Shirley?

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Source.

If I pick a word from the dictionary and have to disclose the source, well, the dictionary pretty much IS the source.

Definition as follows:

source, n.

(sɔəs)

Forms: 4–5 sours, 5–6 surs, 5–7 sourse; 4– source (6 sowrce).

[a. OF. sors, *surs, *sours masc., and surse, sourse, source (mod.F. source) fem., substantival uses of the pa. pple. of sourdre to rise or spring: see sourd v.]

†1.1 ‘A support or underprop’ (Gwilt). Obs.

1346 in J. T. Smith Antiq. Westm. (1807) 209 [In the works of the said chapel for sources to the images under the tabernacles.‥ The columns placed‥under the aforesaid sources.]    1359–60 Ely Sacr. Rolls II. 194 In stipend. Roberti Burwelle facientis Garguyles et ymagines pro sources ad le blakrode.

†2.2 a.2.a Hawking. The act of rising on the wing, on the part of a hawk or other bird. Obs.

c 1384 Chaucer H. Fame 544 Me fleynge in a swappe he hente, And with hys sours a-yene vp went.    c 1386 ― Sompn. T. 230 Right as an hauk upon a sours Upspringeth into thaer, right so prayeres‥Maken her sours to Goddis eeres tuo.    1513 Douglas Æneid v. v. 21 [Ganymede] Quham, with a surs, swiftlie Jovis squyer Caucht in his clukis, and bair up in the air.    1575 Turberv. Faulconrie 127 The Sparowhawkes do vse to kill the fowle at the Sowrce or Souse as the Goshawkes do.    1612 Selden Illustr. Drayton's Poly-olb. v. D.'s Wks. 1876 I. 145 But the Goshawk, taken at the source by the Falcon, soon fell down at the King's foot.

†b.2.b The rising of the sun. Obs.

? a 1400 Morte Arth. 1978 In-to Sessoyne he soughte‥And at the surs of the sonne disseuerez his knyghttez.

†c.2.c An assault or attack. Obs.

1616 J. Lane Contn. Sqr.'s T. ix. 179 He gallantlie receavinge bothe theire sourse, and theie as resolutelie quittinge force.

3. a.3.a The fountain-head or origin of a river or stream; the spring or place from which a flow of water takes its beginning.

c 1386 Chaucer Clerk's Prol. 49 Wher as the Poo out of a welle smal Takith his firste springyng and his sours.    1426 Lydg. De Guil. Pilg. 21838 Ryht as a welle hath hys sours Vpward, with water quyk and cler.    1579 Spenser Sheph. Cal. Nov. 126 The flouds do gaspe, for dryed is theyr sourse.    1601 Holland Pliny xxxi. iii. 408 The head or source therof ariseth at the foot of the utmost mountains of the Pelignians.    1673 Temple Obs. United Prov. Wks. 1720 I. 7 He that would know the Nature of the Water,‥must find out its Source, and observe with what Strength it rises.    1687 A. Lovell tr. Thevenot's Trav. ii. 46 That River‥takes its source about four days Journey from Mardin.    1738 Gray Tasso 51 Of many a flood they view'd the secret source.    1774 Goldsm. Nat. Hist. (1824) I. 86 All rivers have their source either in mountains or elevated lakes.    1808 Pike Sources Mississ. iii. App. 6 The river‥may be about 1000 miles in length, from its sources to its discharges.    1846 McCulloch Acc. Brit. Empire (1854) I. 9 Near the sources of the South Tyne and the Tees.    1878 Huxley Physiogr. 20 The streams and springs from which a river is popularly said to take its rise are‥only its proximate sources.

transf.    1605 Shakes. Macb. ii. iii. 104 The Spring, the Head, the Fountaine of your Blood Is stopt, the very Source of it is stopt.    1810 Scott Lady of L. iii. ix, The billow‥That far to seaward finds his source.

attrib.    1881 Rep. Geol. Explor. New Zealand 135 The middle part of the Buckler Burn, before breaking up into its source-branches.    1899 Athenæum 28 Oct. 585/1 To control the source-region of the Nile.

b.3.b With a and pl. A spring; a fountain.

c 1477 Caxton Jason 102 b, Hit semed that hit had ben a sourse or sprynge rennyng oute of his body.    1596 Drayton Legends iii. 451 Like those that strive to stop some swelling Sourse.    1632 Lithgow Trav. vi. 292 A source or standing Well.    Ibid. viii. 373 Their Bestiall are watered with sources.    1662 J. Davies tr. Mandelslo's Trav. 199 There is, among others, a source of hot-water which hath the taste of Tin, and issues out of a Cave.    1735 Somerville Chase ii. 24 Where trickling Streams distil From some penurious Source.    1820 Byron Juan iv. liv, Though sleeping like a lion near a source.    1855 Tennyson Letters v, Like torrents from a mountain source.    1856 Merivale Rom. Emp. xl. (1871) V. 19 In the time of Augustus seven aqueducts brought water from distant sources to Rome.

transf.    1589 Greene Menaphon Wks. (Grosart) VI. 43 Yet kissing the pretie infant, shee lightened out smiles from those cheekes that were furrowed with continual sources of teares.

c.3.c In fig. contexts.

1581 T. Howell Deuises (1879) 205 Whose strayned hart in sowrce of sorrowe swymmes.    1609 Drayton Legend Cromwell 21 This was to me that ouerflowing sourse, From whence his bounties plentifully spring.    1647 Clarendon Hist. Reb. i. §6 No man can shew me a source from whence these waters of bitterness‥have more probably flowed.    1754 Gray Pleasure 54 Near the source whence Pleasure flows.    1754 ― Progr. Poesy 94 This can‥ope the sacred source of sympathetic Tears.    1835 T. Mitchell Acharn. of Aristoph. 479 note, The foundation of Megara was in itself a source of hostile feeling, which was never likely to be wholly dried up.

4.4 fig. a.4.a The chief or prime cause of something of a non-material or abstract character; the quarter whence something of this kind originates.

c 1374 Chaucer Troylus v. 1591 O swerd of knighthod, sours of gentilesse!    1390 Gower Conf. I. 46 Sche that is the Source and Welle Of wel or wo.    1412–20 Lydg. Chron. Troy iii. 5469 Of knyȝthod grounde, of manhod sours & wel.    1613 J. Tapp Pathw. Knowledge 322 This Charracter √ signifieth the source, roote or beginning of any number or quantity whatsoeuer.    1690 Locke Hum. Und. ii. i. §4 This source of ideas, every man has wholly in himself.    1760–2 Goldsm. Cit. W. iv, Pride seems the source not only of their national vices, but of their national virtues also.    1770 Junius Lett. xxxix. (1788) 220 The free election of our representatives‥is the source and security of every right and privilege.    1831 Scott Cast. Dang. viii, It is my duty‥to leave no stone unturned by which this business may be traced to the source.    1857 Miller Elem. Chem., Org. ii. §3. 77 Gases of an offensive odour, which are the source of annoyance to the neighbourhood.    1875 Manning Mission H. Ghost xii. 223 This intellectual perversion is the source of a systematic immorality.

b.4.b With a, this, etc., or pl.

1642 H. More Song of Soul i. ii. 147 All strength and livelyhood is from this sourse.    1718 Prior Knowledge 413 She is oblig'd and forced to see A First, a Source, a Life, a Deity.    1759 Robertson Hist. Scot. iii. Wks. 1813 I. 197 The sixth article remained the only source of contest and difficulty.    1824 R. Stuart Hist. Steam Engine 195 The many sources of consolation which were afforded by the circumstances.    1848 Dickens Dombey vii, Something or somebody had superseded him as a source of interest.    1861 Buckle Civiliz. (1873) II. viii. 559 One source of danger to which they had long been exposed was considerably lessened.

c.4.c The origin, or original stock, of a person, family, etc.

1669 Dryden Tyrannic Love iv. i, And, thy full Term expir'd, without all Pain, Dissolve into thy Astral Source again.    1738 Gray Propertius iii. 58 [To]
And etc
edit on 19-9-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join