It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four out of five migrants are NOT from Syria: EU figures expose the 'lie' that the majority of ref

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Only one in every five migrants claiming asylum in Europe is from Syria.
The EU logged 213,000 arrivals in April, May and June but only 44,000 of them were fleeing the Syrian civil war.
Campaigners and left-wing MPs have suggested the vast majority of migrants are from the war-torn state, accusing the Government of doing too little to help them.
'This exposes the lie peddled in some quarters that vast numbers of those reaching Europe are from Syria,' said David Davies, Tory MP for Monmouth. 'Most people who are escaping the war will go to camps in Lebanon or Jordan.
'Many of those who have opted to risk their lives to come to Europe have done so for economic reasons.'

Four out of five migrants are NOT from Syria: EU figures expose the 'lie' that the majority of refugees are fleeing war zone

Very interesting news coming from Europe. Official EU figures state only 1 in 5 people flooding into Europe are fleeing from Syria. The truth is most real refugees are escaping over the border to refugee camps in Lebanon, Turkey, Jordan. The real refugees are staying close to home waiting to return once it is safe to do so.

So who are there people flooding into Europe? For weeks the mass media here in the UK have been drumming it into us that the refugee invasion of Europe is based on Syrians fleeing a war zone. This now, according to official EU figures is wrong, we have been told something of a lie as David Davies points out in the article.

Don't get me wrong, many of the people fleeing their homelands will be poor and looking for a better life in Europe. You have to feel sorry for them. But the facts are only a small percentage are actually on the run from Syria. This is different to the general media reports.
edit on 19-9-2015 by ufoorbhunter because: English illiterate

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter
There is a distinct difference between refugees coming to Europe via normal means and the large quantity we are now seeing walking through the Balkans to Germany (basically).

It is the usual Daily Mail nonsense of putting two things together in an attempt to link them. It is up to you, the reader of the statistics, to not fall for the usual BS that paper prints.

The vast majority of the refugees on the TV are coming from war torn middle east. That does not mean that the vast majority of refugees are from war torn middle east.....understand the difference? That said the stats do show that the increase in numbers is almost exclusively from war torn or unstable areas ie 100% increase from Syria, 323% increase from Afghanistan, 470% Iraq and these are also the largest groups.

Yes there is indeed an increase in economic migrants as well and it would dumb to not expect this. That said there must be something bad happening in the Balkans since Albania,Montenegro and Kosovo are all showing a large increase.

+22 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Yes, they are all free loaders looking for free housing and healthcare and any benefits they can get their grubby hands on. They should fight for their own countries, but as you say 80% of them aren't fleeing from war.

They effectively want to steal from hard working westerners, and the sick thing is that some of us (our idiotic governments) will let them.

It's not just their freeloading though, we need to think about what socio-economic consequences of an unlimited influx of immigration is going to have on our future generations.

The islamification of the west being the most prominent of these concerns. It all seems too planned to me. There's a nasty agenda here, and it's going to lead to the fall of Europe into an extension of middle eastern lunacy.
edit on 19-9-2015 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

Yes there is indeed an increase in economic migrants as well and it would dumb to not expect this. That said there must be something bad happening in the Balkans since Albania,Montenegro and Kosovo are all showing a large increase.

Many will be economic migrants. Hey I'm just posting this in the news section as it does differ from most accounts labelling the people on the move as 'Syrian refugees.' Many will be people seeking a better life, they all seem to want to go to German speaking lands and that interested in staying in Slavic or Magyar zones, so economics must be right on their mind.

You mention the Balkans people on the move, RT was reporting the amount of people on the move from that area recently with their aim of making Germany. That is possibly a conspiracy in itself, Serbs wanting to depopulate those zones to take back Kosovo. Bosnia has economy crippled by the status quo, nothing can develop in a zone that still feels like a war zone with a ceasefire. Many will be Kosovans and Bosnians and Albanians faking the Syrian thing with the aim of reaching Germany.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   

The authorities from one country with its borders being invaded questioned a guy, clearly not Arabic and he admitted he was from Bangladesh - yet they let him in.

The actual solution to this problem is for those supplying ISIS to stop and take a chunk of the land they have claimed, put the money that is taken for Foreign Aid, put that money into building up its infrastructure and put the migrants there. It can be Islamic or whatever but its closer to their roots and the family they have left behind. Whether that will appeal to the Bangladeshihe will have to choose for himself.

It also stops this huge influx that will only destabilise European countries. WE don't have full employment many countries don't have housing just waiting for people to need it and neither do they have the spare capacity in their schools, medical facilities etc etc.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAZ21
Yes, they are all free loaders looking for free housing and healthcare and any benefits they can get their grubby hands on. They should fight for their own countries, but as you say 80% of them aren't fleeing from war.

Hi Dazz, it does look that way. Most real Syrians are staying close to their country so they can get back there to their properties once the Russians have successfully helped the Syrian government fight off the terrorists. For sure there are many Syrians on the run and entering the ex Yugo and Hungary zones, for sure these people are genuine refugees and sorrow is felt for them, Iraqis and maybe some Afghans too, all these places are being attacked by the terrorists, if they are genuinely escaping Isis then help needs granting for their temporary stay in the west until they can return home. Some will probably need to stay for good, if I was a Christian I wouldn't return to Syria until Isis has been eradicated from the entire middle east, can we honestly see this happening with too many outside interests funding the terrorists?

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

The authorities from one country with its borders being invaded questioned a guy, clearly not Arabic and he admitted he was from Bangladesh - yet they let him in.

You can see from the footage that many of these people aren't from the Levant. Loads of east Indians/Bangladeshis in the TV reports. Real Syrian refugees or Iraqi from Mosul etc, let's look after them, but all the rest? We can't takes them all into Europe..........it's just nonsense. Looks like the Hungarians see things for what they are.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   

ooops
edit on 19-9-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Using the Mail as a news source is just begging to be lied to or having your own beliefs reinforced. The Mail and others like the Express have been selling copy for years based on skewed BS about asylum seekers, refugees and economic migrants etc.

The Eurostat release can be read in the original right here (pdf). They show that 44% are coming from ME countries: Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan. 21% are from East European nations: Russia, Eritrea, Kosovo, Albania, Serbia, Ukraine.

There's also a residual 35% that include people from African nations (Sudan etc) as well as Eastern European (Bosnia etc) and a couple of hundred who are 'stateless.' The numbers here don't represent a large enough slice of the pie-chart to have individual sections.

Most of the highly represented nations are war-torn, dirt-poor and/or operate under regimes with humanitarian shortcomings. The Mail would like us to think that the non-Syrian applicants must all be bullsh!tters who are looking for an easy life on hand-outs. Looking at their points of origin, we can see that most would have genuine cause to want to leave their own nations.

Now obviously all this migration is a crisis that's building. We have to be careful to keep a more balanced perspective and not be manipulated into a fear-response by popular press. For example, there's 650, 000 applicants pending from July 2015 when it was half that figure last year. This indicates that we're genuinely seeing greater numbers seeking asylum, but we have to recognise that conflict has been ongoing and is driving more people away.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Do we need to blame the British and the Germans for this?.
Certainly, Germany opened the doors to the Turks after the World Wars, partly for cheap labour to rebuild the country, I presume.
Britain opened the doors to India, Pakistan, the East Indies and the Africans, partly because Millions of Native English emigrated to mainly, Australia, NZ and Canada in the 50s and 60s , and England basically lost its best people.....

Now look what you've done!!!.....

I suppose we will have to come back and clean up this mess....... again, and bring the Yanks over.....again......

You owe us 10000 billion pounds and a castle (with moat) each thankyou.......

edit on 19-9-2015 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

originally posted by: Shiloh7

You can see from the footage that many of these people aren't from the Levant. Loads of east Indians/Bangladeshis in the TV reports. Real Syrian refugees or Iraqi from Mosul etc, let's look after them, but all the rest? We can't takes them all into Europe..........it's just nonsense. Looks like the Hungarians see things for what they are.

although a bit rude, the hungarians are the only ones with some common sense and the only ones that protect their citizens while other countries first care about refugees and not their own people.
you can bet no refugee wants to stay in hungary and leaves it as fast as possible.
including the radicals.
good luck austria, germany, france and sweden!

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAZ21

The islamification of the west being the most prominent of these concerns. It all seems too planned to me. There's a nasty agenda here, and it's going to lead to the fall of Europe into an extension of middle eastern lunacy.

Not to deny your sarcastic tirade here, but the sad irony is, that thing you just said?

you think this is not the case?

how blind are you in that mask, for gods sake...

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

but only 44,000 of them were fleeing the Syrian civil war.

And how many of that number actually were ?

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I gravitate toward 'Syrian Girl' for first hand reports of the mess in Syria & terrorists ensconced there

www.youtube.com...

~talking with a UK news reporter~ to me... he prompts way too much, like a 'push poll' (a forced response is the result)

I give the interview a 8.5 rating

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Official reports and EU figures mean about as much to me as 'a bloke down the pub said...'

Something's obviously going on and I'd suggest that it's very big, but I don't think that I'll be too willing to accept the perspective that our politicians or media want us to adopt.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Sad to see how this is being played, as other topics, in partisan bickering. Shouldn't be this way, sure there are concerns, such as any IS members, etc., but to really think a lot of these people that are fleeing are really just looking for a hand out is sadder still. That would be really pushing countries to the brink that already have economical issues, not even mentioning those countries that were accepting to them that closed boarders already.

Interesting thread, with the shared info, as this should be discussed.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Who are they, these refugees? Well just read Eurostat's report. They're from all over the Middle East, because you know, it's a hell hole.

ec.europa.eu...

Citizens of 141 countries sought asylum for the first time in the EU in the second quarter of 2015. Syrians, Afghanis and Albanians were the top 3 citizenships of asylum seekers, lodging around 44 000, 27 000 and 17 700 applications respectively (Table 1).

Syrians (22 500 more applicants compared to the second quarter of 2014) and Afghanis (20 600 more) added most to the overall increase in first time asylum applicants in absolute terms, followed by Albanians and Iraqis (13 800 and 11 500 more applicants respectively) (Figure 2, Table 1).

Asylum applicants from Iraq (nearly 6 times more) recorded the most substantial relative increase in the EU in the second quarter of 2015 compared to the same quarter of 2014, followed by Kosovans (nearly 5 times more), Albanians and Afghanis (more than 4 times) and by applicants from Montenegro (more than 3 times) (Figure 3, Table 1).

edit on 19-9-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

I'm not being sarcastic, otherwise I would have put this
at the end of my post.

I know it sounds far fetched and laughable, but it's no joking matter. Though what can we do about it? Nothing it seems...

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

If I was forced to live in a country who still acts like its the 9th century I would probably haul ass as well.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Using the Mail as a news source is just begging to be lied to or having your own beliefs reinforced. The Mail and others like the Express have been selling copy for years based on skewed BS about asylum seekers, refugees and economic migrants etc.

The Eurostat release can be read in the original right here (pdf). They show that 44% are coming from ME countries: Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan. 21% are from East European nations: Russia, Eritrea, Kosovo, Albania, Serbia, Ukraine.

There's also a residual 35% that include people from African nations (Sudan etc) as well as Eastern European (Bosnia etc) and a couple of hundred who are 'stateless.' The numbers here don't represent a large enough slice of the pie-chart to have individual sections.

Most of the highly represented nations are war-torn, dirt-poor and/or operate under regimes with humanitarian shortcomings. The Mail would like us to think that the non-Syrian applicants must all be bullsh!tters who are looking for an easy life on hand-outs. Looking at their points of origin, we can see that most would have genuine cause to want to leave their own nations.

Now obviously all this migration is a crisis that's building. We have to be careful to keep a more balanced perspective and not be manipulated into a fear-response by popular press. For example, there's 650, 000 applicants pending from July 2015 when it was half that figure last year. This indicates that we're genuinely seeing greater numbers seeking asylum, but we have to recognise that conflict has been ongoing and is driving more people away.

Here's what your link says:

Over 210 000 first time asylum seekers in the EU in the second quarter of 2015

During the second quarter of 2015 (from April to June 2015), 213 200 first time asylum seekers applied for protection in the European Union (EU), up by 15% compared with the first quarter of 2015 and by 85% compared with the second quarter of 2014. In particular, the number of Syrians and Afghans rose considerably to reach almost 44 000 and 27 000 respectively. They represent the two main citizenships of first time asylum applicants in the EU over the second quarter 2015, accounting for a third of all first time applicants. Kosovars, who were the top citizenship of first time asylum applicants in the first three months of 2015, have seen their number drop from almost 50 000 during the first quarter 2015 to just over 10 000 in the second quarter 2015.

Seems Daily Beast is more right on, in fact only about 20-21% are Syrian refugees.

p.s. bolding emphasis is mine.

edit on 19-9-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join