It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we not time travelers already?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Many of us are obsessed with the concept of time travel. We want to know all about it both in theory and if it has been achieved somehow.

Of course, if we believe that it will be achieved in the future, then there is the connundrum that we are currently being observed or visited by us already.

But, besides that... what we could rationalize, is that we ARE all time travelers, already.

We know that large gravitational influences cause space/time to warp around them, and we Earthlings stuck on this Earth, are really experiencing time slower than if we were just a few hundred clicks in Earth orbit.

The kicker for me is, our Moon astronauts are really our ultimate time travelers, as they have escaped most of Earth gravity, traveled to an object of a different gravity and returned.

Even though the amount of time displacement is minute relative to us here on the Earth, it is measurable. Even our GPS satellites have to take relativity calculations into account to make sure we don't run off the road or into a lake.

So, my question would be, did the Apollo astronauts really come back to the same time line that they left.. or is it so close, yet different than the one they left in?

This is based solely on the theory that says that if you depart a certain time line, you can really never return to the exact same time line, but very similar. I don't really know how much that holds water in the first place, or what constitutes crossing a timeline, but it seems that this is a given consequence, if we ever did achieve the ability to rapidly move through time.

I will leave that speculation up to anyone else that thinks this idea would have any legs.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I don't know...I think the universe as a time denominator and that our perception is just a nominator.

Speeding up time and traveling into the future is surely possible but I don't think it's possible to go back in time by conventional methods...

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

The Apollo astronauts haven't jumped timelines, their progress through time, their 'temporal velocity' for part of their journey, has been altered in respect to the temporal velocity of those on Earth.

Like sailing over a rough ocean and being blown off course does not have to mean they are on a different ocean or sea.

edit on 19/9/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
We are indeed all time travellers by definition. Unless you are somehow static and frozen in time.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

The Apollo astronauts haven't jumped timelines, their progress through time, their 'temporal velocity' for part of their journey, has been altered in respect to the temporal velocity of those on Earth.

Like sailing over a rough ocean and being blown off course does not have to mean they are on a different ocean or sea.

But there is the timeline argument itself. There is in this theory a concept that everything that has happened and will happen all exists at once. We may even shift in and out of them all the time and never know it. The granularity is infinite.
And it is a relative thing, as nothing would change for us, but they have experienced a time displacement that may effect them. It may not be drastic, but is it the same?

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Why Yes, Yes we are indeed travelers. We have been to the past and the future many times in other dimensions, but the time traveling part is murky and is only relevant to the human aspect.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

originally posted by: chr0naut

But there is the timeline argument itself. There is in this theory a concept that everything that has happened and will happen all exists at once. We may even shift in and out of them all the time and never know it. The granularity is infinite.
And it is a relative thing, as nothing would change for us, but they have experienced a time displacement that may effect them. It may not be drastic, but is it the same?

That, is beautifully put. It cannot be really expressed any better. The words "It is what it is" make so much sense that way, this thing we are experiencing is, has, already started and ended. it is the right now, we are experiencing. Our fleeting interactions with each other, causing the glow of reality we need, desire, want.. without it, we're alone. lost. a sad way to live, and so much more sad a way to die.

We're the paint on the canvas of life, illuminated by the suns rays. there is no going back to the wood, after you've enjoyed the fire, though.. and that inevitability we all try to put off, comes as sure as the sun rises..

if only we could go back, even a little...

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   

The kicker for me is, our Moon astronauts are really our ultimate time travelers, as they have escaped most of Earth gravity, traveled to an object of a different gravity and returned.

Oh yes. Theory of relativity proves this. It might not be a much of a difference but they are time travellers into the future.

Gravitational time dilation

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
It's negligible, the record holder for time dilation is Sergei Avdeyev : 0.02 seconds

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Ddrneville

Negligible or not he was a time traveller.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
We're traveling forward through time, so yes we are technically time travelers. Always have been.
edit on 9/19/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

Well said as well. The concept of time is so much more than thinking of it in terms of going forward or backward. Each and every one of us understands reality only from our own personal perspective.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

The average time it takes for a complete human blink is 0.3 / 0.4 seconds, so you could have missed the whole time experience thingy

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

The mindf*** of it all is that time is relative. Einstein even talked about this. I could be talking to you in the future or in the past.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Time travel to the future is simple and safe, we all do it all the time.

Time travel to the past is problematic and that's where your timeline problems come into play.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Ddrneville

so you could have missed the whole time experience thingy

That's the weird thing. You wont miss anything. That's how relativity work.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Time travel to the past is problematic and that's where your timeline problems come into play.

Yes Michael J. Fox has demonstrated that for us already.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ddrneville
It's negligible, the record holder for time dilation is Sergei Avdeyev : 0.02 seconds

en.wikipedia.org...

Interesting. He experienced both speed and gravitational influences in time dialation. I wonder how it compares to mostly gravitational influence, or what the number would be for the Apollo crews.... It would be interesting reading something he has written after he came back, and I will try and find something if it exists. Thanks for the reference.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

That's a shaky argument.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

That's a shaky argument.

You haven't seen the movie? And you thought I was being serious? I was joking.

But anyway everyone of us are on different timelines and relativity proves it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join