It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention Members: never give out your private email address in ATS private messages...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   
It's sad that this has to be pointed out..but true beyond words. You may think you know a member here well enough to trust them with your email, so that you can converse off site about things you may not feel comfortable about in the U2U system. DON'T. Just don't do it. Just as in real life, people can come and go from here and turn on you on a dime, and there goes your info with them to do with as they please including share with others without your permission. Years ago I made this very mistake, and the person turned on me very fast after receiving my email, and sent many messages that were extremely threatening to the point where I had to report it to ATS staff. I was not the only target of this person. The threats were such that I feared for my safety in REAL LIFE. It's never a good idea to share personal info, anywhere on the internet, because you have no power over it once it hits the web. Be safe everyone...better than being sorry.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   
***** ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS *****

Given the seriousness of this situation please stay on topic so it doesn't get derailed and the information diluted/missed by other members.

Thank you

***** Do Not Reply To This Message *****

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I would like to point something else out that I have noticed several times.

Never post real pictures of yourself and/or tell people where or for who you work for or the exact place where you live.

I shouldn't need to say this, but it is happening and this also potentially puts you at risk.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

I ask because I am new and want to be understanding of t&cs. I was not complaining and I accept the apology you owe me for the snark.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
I would like to point something else out that I have noticed several times.

Never post real pictures of yourself and/or tell people where or for who you work for or the exact place where you live.

I shouldn't need to say this, but it is happening and this also potentially puts you at risk.

I never got a reply from Skeptic, but shouldn't people who ask for things like your employer in a thread automatically get their post removed? I was really upset when after complaining about just such a post that it was not removed and the writer was not censured for it.

I gave it a great deal of thought over the past 2 weeks and was about to reply to this person who asks often for such information to post their curriculum vitae in the thread if they wanted mine so badly. Bad form on my part to even think such a thing. But I should have really been directing my frustration where it belonged at the Mods for not telling the person to stop this behavior. It is a regular contributor who is doing this.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

We've had a recent, unfortunate event, where someone was using the private messaging system to harvest the private email addresses of some of our members. Thankfully, this was reasonably well-contained rather swiftly, thanks to our alert staff.

So it's staff that spotted this?

That must mean that "private" messages are being constantly monitored by staff?

Did the members that were contacted by this person, know this person as a member?

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

However, unfortunately, some members were duped into revealing their personal email addresses.

I don't really understand what the issue is here? What do you mean duped? They made a conscious choice of giving their email.

Can you tell us how this person tricked those members?

Are there any members that were approached but didn't give their email adres?

Did you receive any complaints?

edit on 19-9-2015 by NittyGritty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

It's still a risk. A big risk. You are, of course, free to do what you wish when asked. However, it is strongly recommended not to give out personal information.

So can a member ask for another member's email or not?

Why is it a big risk?

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: NittyGritty
Can you tell us how this person tricked those members?

If he intended to make bad use of the information, then "I want to be your friend" was trickery.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

There is a reason I asked a staff member. You are not in a postion to answer that question.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

It's still a risk. A big risk. You are, of course, free to do what you wish when asked. However, it is strongly recommended not to give out personal information.

So can a member ask for another member's email or not?

Why is it a big risk?

If you read the entire thread you would see that a member was stalked through email with death threats after giving out his email on ATS.

Also, once you give someone access to your email, if they are tech savvy they can get your contacts list and start sending out messages to people on your contact list pretending to be you.

That is why it is dangerous.

Also, if one gives out employer information, previous or present,
the person requesting the information can then start calling the employer
and causing problems for the person at their work,
even causing someone to lose a job or lose any hope of a decent future reference.

Giving out any information that can identify one personally
runs the risk of an "evil stalker" who can do great damage to ones reputation, family or job.

Even someone online who has a wonderful "persona" on ATS, can be a sociopath or psychopath in real life and turn the information into living hell for the person who unwittingly gives such information to someone they have "known" on ATS for even years.

Asking for such information is tantamount to a home invasion of sorts,
(trying to get into ones home as a stranger pretending to be a "good person")
and brings into question the psychological stability of the person asking for such information.
What do they intend to do with it? Why would they ask?
On ATS, it is quite likely that it could possibly be for nefarious reasons given the nature of the site, conspiracy theories.

Even a "trusted" member with whom one has starred or commented to or with kindly for years.
One never knows.
I'm not being paranoid, one only has to look at the news to see examples of people ending up with horrid stories for giving out such information on social media.

I may not be a staff member,
but I can certainly enlighten you as to why it is a risk.

edit on 8Sat, 19 Sep 2015 08:00:58 -0500am91909amk196 by grandmakdw because: addition clarification

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
As others have said, use a fake email account.
I wouldn't give anyone my actual email on here but there have been a couple I've exchanged emails with over the years, no problem at all.

There have definitely been some dodgy members on here over the years, I remember one member telling me she was hassled by a member who threatened her etc and was very fearful for her safety.
The "perp" was banned.... the "perp" was also a FSMe (or maybe MOD) can't remember now, it's a few years back.

If you've chatted to someone for a while and feel comfortable, take it to skype but just have a fake account... or send U2U's or set up throwaway email.

Giving out your name, phone number, real postal address, everything...... to just anybody, is ******* crazy IMHO.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

There is a reason I asked a staff member. You are not in a postion to answer that question.

The etiquette of this site does not forbid people to answer posts addressed to others, especially if (as in this case) they are in a position to offer a reasonable answer to the question.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

But there is no possible way for you to know the ansswer to that specific question since you didn't read those messages.

Simple as that.

especially if (as in this case) they are in a position to offer a reasonable answer to the question.

Your response didn't even answer the question, btw.
edit on 19-9-2015 by NittyGritty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

If you read the entire thread you would see that a member was stalked through email with death threats after giving out his email on ATS.

Is he dead? This is an isolated case. I am sure 100's of email adresses have been exchanged here without any problems.

Also, once you give someone access to your email, if they are tech savvy they can get your contacts list and start sending out messages to people on your contact list pretending to be you.

Or read your private emails?

I'm not being paranoid, one only has to look at the news to see examples of people ending up with horrid stories for giving out such information on social media.

Not the same. In these cases entire sites were hacked and email and password data was stolen.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Is he dead? This is an isolated case. I am sure 100's of email adresses have been exchanged here without any problems.

Not the same. In these cases entire sites were hacked and email and password data was stolen.

There is only one point on which you and I agree.
That is the question.
What is SkepticOverlord's position on people asking for personal information in thread?
Should the person asking have their post removed as a gross violation of manners?
As for U2U, that is a slightly different matter as it is intended to be more personal,
however, clarification for people like you who defend the practice would be a good idea.

You are obviously defending the practice of asking for people's personal information.
I stated the case earlier as to why it is dangerous for anyone to reply with such information.
Please reread that post carefully, thank you in advance.
I can see no possible defense for asking for someone's personal information.

I await a response from SkepticOverlord since he is personally involved in this thread.

edit on 8Sat, 19 Sep 2015 08:28:29 -0500am91909amk196 by grandmakdw because: format

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I think SkepticOverlord gave his position on page one of this thread.

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
a reply to: Kali74

I'm lead to believe that it's an issue where one should use their best judgment. If asked for such information and there's the slightest reservation for even a split second, the answer should be no. Sure some people have poor judgment anyway and as I'm sure there's probably members of all age groups, it's rather understandable that staff would strongly discourage anyone and everyone from giving any information out at all. But at the end of the day, we're responsible for ourselves.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Why are people arguing and getting posts removed?

It's simple

Don't give out your info unless you're sure and if you do then you do so at your OWN RISK

If someone asks you in a thread and you don't like it, report it... mods cannot be everywhere and see everything

Have a throwaway account ready if you absolutely must give one out and never give out personal info

This stuff is Internet 101 people, it's not ATS specific so not much point keep asking the same questions to SO and others.

Just be safe.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join