It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention Members: never give out your private email address in ATS private messages...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
We've had a recent, unfortunate event, where someone was using the private messaging system to harvest the private email addresses of some of our members. Thankfully, this was reasonably well-contained rather swiftly, thanks to our alert staff.

However, unfortunately, some members were duped into revealing their personal email addresses.

Never give out your email
Or anything else personal, for that matter.

Recruiting and/or collecting the personal information of our members via the private messaging system is one of most strict and longer-standing aspects of our Terms and Conditions. If someone is asking this of you, Please report it to staff immediately.

No matter the apparent motivations of the member, seeking your personal information is a very strict violation of our Terms and Conditions. The member's account has been terminated.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.
edit on 18-9-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the information. Point well taken.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up but what if it's someone you've known on the boards for a while and you offer them an offsite way to communicate? Is that okay?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

It's still a risk. A big risk. You are, of course, free to do what you wish when asked. However, it is strongly recommended not to give out personal information.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
What about members who ask for personal information in threads?
I complained about a member who asked me to "prove" my "creds" by writing back in a thread the names of books that I have edited and places I worked. Giving this information would lead to revealing my real identity. I refused and complained to the Mods as per ATS rules and followed ATS protocol. The person then posted further calling me a liar for refusing to reveal things that would reveal my identity. I ignored the member. Now, I realize we have some real nut jobs from time to time on ATS and ignoring them is the best response.
But when I complained to the Mods the person's posts demanding these things and calling me a liar were not removed as off topic or as violating T&C. I was distressed to see my concerns ignored when what the person was demanding and insisting on was a revelation of my personal identity.
Where do you draw the line?
When someone demands information on a thread that would reveal another persons personal information, is that not an extreme manners violation?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
What about members who ask for personal information in threads?
I complained about a member who asked me to "prove" my "creds" by writing back in a thread the names of books that I have edited and places I worked. Giving this information would lead to revealing my real identity. I refused and complained to the Mods as per ATS rules and followed ATS protocol. The person then posted further calling me a liar for refusing to reveal things that would reveal my identity. I ignored the member. Now, I realize we have some real nut jobs from time to time on ATS and ignoring them is the best response.
But when I complained to the Mods the person's posts demanding these things and calling me a liar were not removed as off topic or as violating T&C. I was distressed to see my concerns ignored when what the person was demanding and insisting on was a revelation of my personal identity.
Where do you draw the line?
When someone demands information on a thread that would reveal another persons personal information, is that not an extreme manners violation?

Except for standard things like age, maybe yes or no on kids and very generic stuff. I would treat any identifiable info like you would your social security number. Just my opinion. People can chose to believe you or not. What's more important? Protecting your information or being called a liar by someone on a forum who has no real impact on your life, but may if you give up identifying info.

It's a computer age now a days, you're a sheep or a wolf. I wouldn't help the wolves at all.
edit on 18-9-2015 by Reallyfolks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

The ats member photos thread can give out a lot of personal information....maybe that thread should be deleted?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Although it never occurred to me that it was against policy, I did realize the danger of giving out my personal email to ????. Sad that this happened and regret that ???? lacked the foresight to refrain from the activity that resulted in his ban from this site.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I've seen recent threads about members having died. Mods discussing the member fondly, a lot of peronal info provided.

Should notices of members having died have a thread?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElOmen

The ats member photos thread can give out a lot of personal information....maybe that thread should be deleted?

Taking it a bit far. The difference between someone being duped out of personal info and members getting to know each other, at least in my mind, isn't even related.

Having said that though, some people are just slow. and that goes well beyond the scope of ATS.

I mean, we live in a world where a facebook clickbait that pretends to log you out of facebook and asks you to log back in, IS working.

can't fix slow.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

Although it never occurred to me that it was against policy, I did realize the danger of giving out my personal email to ????. Sad that this happened and regret that ???? lacked the foresight to refrain from the activity that resulted in his ban from this site.

That leaves more question marks than .. wait you used question marks.

Oo

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

I've seen recent threads about members having died. Mods discussing the member fondly, a lot of peronal info provided.

Should notices of members having died have a thread?

smh

I guess when the boss speaks, disgruntled people just haaave to come out with the daggers.. Oo

(post by Kali74 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I guess if you chat with people regularly and have built up friendships it's fine, otherwise how would so many on here chat in Skype, email, meet up, date - marry!!
It's ridiculous to say ' Don't EVER' share your details but if someone messages you saying "hey I'm starting a website, Give me your email" or "I have proof of aliens I'll send you my free ebook, what's your email"
Or similar then just ignore.
If it's someone you know and speak to regularly then go for it - you may just make a new friend.
edit on 19-9-2015 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
And don't forget that the FBI and CIA will try and seek out any information from individuals on this site since it's a conspiracy site.

But yeah don't trust anyone. I've come to know a few members here but it was a long process and trust. I used to talk to a lot of ATS members in ATS chat and it was fun. If you want to share an email address just create another email address and keep information to a minimum.

edit on 9/19/2015 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
And don't forget that the FBI and CIA will try and seek out any information from individuals on this site since it's a conspiracy site.

I keep hoping, but they just dont bother with me
wonder why

But yeah don't trust anyone. I've come to know a few members here but it was a long process and trust. I used to talk to a lot of ATS members in ATS chat and it was fun. If you want to share an email address just create another email address and keep information to a minimum.

I trusted people from here. some have proven to be the best people I will ever have the fortune to meet.

Some others I wish I'd never even seen their avatar. and some love themselves so much they kill you flipping their damn hair..

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Thank you alert staff!

Shut up Josh!

edit on Ram91915v17201500000003 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join