It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Ask Obama To Prosecute Global Warming Skeptics.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: johnwick

But only on the subjects you decide are " important " right?

You know what you are doing right?

It is a behavior pattern known as zealotry.

It is a form of extremism.

Just like the wacko Muslim's think you should be jailed even killed if you don't say what they demand about Islam.

Because of their extremist zealotry.

Glad we could straighten that out.

Oh yah, that's it. I'm such an extremist when it comes to climate change. What a regular Perry Mason you are to cleverly figure me out like that. What a Zealot I am??? Actually discussing possible Racketeering or fraud on an online forum.

I think you're still high from your surgery buddy.

Glad we got that straightened out.

Yes, because you can't believe that anyone could disagree with you unless they are committing a crime.

And then you do mental gymnastics to rationalize it.

When it should be obvious your perspective is crazy

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Reallyfolks

The "alarmers" have been investigated multiple times based on the lies of deniers... cleared, every time.

I'm sure both sides are completely on the up and up. I still wonder, how many years of accurate temperature data do we have? How old is the earth. Arguing on a fraction of a percent of data compared to the whole, is well, pretty dumb. I don't care what the PhD these people received claims they know.

Not the smartest person in the world. But common sense tells me neither are the people invested in this issue when considering the overall. I think no one will disagree that pollution is bad, but you really expect me to believe you have a fraction of a percent worth of data and I'm supposed to accept as settled or hard science you have any clue what you're saying with any certainty? Sure.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Yes, because you can't believe that anyone could disagree with you unless they are committing a crime.

And then you do mental gymnastics to rationalize it.

When it should be obvious your perspective is crazy

Well, that's obviously very well thought out and all except for a couple things. I'm not saying anyone is committing crime. These scientists are and they say they have the documented proof of it too.

If that is the case then they are calling for Obama to use the RICO act to charge them with a crime. Again, if it can be shown that they have.

I would say that the same should apply in either direction actually. That if it can be proven that either side has been fraudulent about their activities and information in an organized effort for the purpose of profiting off of it from the people they've tricked into believing them. Then that would punishable as a crime since that is something called Racketeering.

Sorry if you think Defrauding people, Racketeering and bribery should be allowed to be legal, but it's just not that way. Maybe one day they will be though and you'll be free to do all the shady profit making you want, but for now I guess we'll just have to go by what the law says.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

So the "hockey stick" falsified data scientists should be prosecuted?

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Apparently some 'scientists', and I do use that term loosely want us poor little ole 'flat earthers' locked up. Why yes people the science is settled. So settled it can't stand any criticism what so ever, and to preserve the science the state needs to get involved, and use it's bold face authoritarianism using RICO laws to prosecute them 'flat earthers' !

Actually, they are suggesting that RICO be used to investigate groups that corruptly spread lies the way the tobacco industry used to:

We appreciate that you are making aggressive and imaginative use of the limited tools available to you in the face of a recalcitrant Congress. One additional tool – recently proposed by Senator Sheldon Whitehouse – is a RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) investigation of corporations and other organizations that have knowingly deceived the American people about the risks of climate change, as a means to forestall America’s response to climate change. The actions of these organizations have been extensively documented in peer reviewed academic research (Brulle, 2013) and in recent books including: Doubt is their Product (Michaels, 2008), Climate Cover-Up (Hoggan & Littlemore, 2009), Merchants of Doubt (Oreskes & Conway, 2010), The Climate War (Pooley, 2010), and in The Climate Deception Dossiers (Union of Concerned Scientists, 2015). We strongly endorse Senator Whitehouse’s call for a RICO investigation.

The methods of these organizations are quite similar to those used earlier by the tobacco industry.
A RICO investigation (1999 to 2006) played an important role in stopping the tobacco industry from continuing to deceive the American people about the dangers of smoking. If corporations in the fossil fuel industry and their supporters are guilty of the misdeeds that have been documented in books and journal articles, it is imperative that these misdeeds be stopped as soon as possible so that America and the world can get on with the critically important business of finding effective ways to restabilize the Earth’s climate, before even more lasting damage is done.

The actual letter. [Emphasis mine. --DJW001]

What does Big Oil have to fear if they are investigated? I'm sure they can afford to buy off the FBI the same way they buy off academics.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

No, only people that disagrees with his side....

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Science

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

The "hockey stick"????

I don't know if they mean the scientists themselves or if they're talking about the people funding them. Racketeering charges usually deal with organized crime and it allows for the bosses to be charged for the crimes they have other people do for them but aren't directly doing themselves. But I'm not sure exactly who they're going after by using the RICO act.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienmma
There's a difference between approaching a subject with scientific validity and questioning and approaching a subject with complete disdain for the theory and the inability to reason objectively.

Many people that are 'against' climate change do not approach it scientifically or in any sort of scholarly manner.

Never the less, if these scientists are so worried that a non edumicated person spouts something they believe is the truth w/out the same supposed level of evidence as themselves that they want them locked up means they are either worried their theory isn't water proof, or they have some ulterior motive. Follow the money........

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I have to wonder how much Al Gore has profited from false climate data.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Wouldn't it be funny if government-funded scientists falsified data and the RICO statutes went after the govern-. . . oh wait.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Yeah, that's right wick. You're so clever. You're really on to something aren't you. Good luck with that.

Just keep repeating your useless opinion of what you think I'm talking about. Don't actually read any of it or consider the fact that you have no clue as to who I am or what my opinion is. Maybe if you say it enough it will just magically become true.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

But I'm not sure exactly who they're going after by using the RICO act.

BP, Exxon, Citgo... you know, the Good Guys who only want what's best for American citizens.

link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: neo96

Apparently some 'scientists', and I do use that term loosely want us poor little ole 'flat earthers' locked up. Why yes people the science is settled. So settled it can't stand any criticism what so ever, and to preserve the science the state needs to get involved, and use it's bold face authoritarianism using RICO laws to prosecute them 'flat earthers' !

Actually, they are suggesting that RICO be used to investigate groups that corruptly spread lies the way the tobacco industry used to:

We appreciate that you are making aggressive and imaginative use of the limited tools available to you in the face of a recalcitrant Congress. One additional tool – recently proposed by Senator Sheldon Whitehouse – is a RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) investigation of corporations and other organizations that have knowingly deceived the American people about the risks of climate change, as a means to forestall America’s response to climate change. The actions of these organizations have been extensively documented in peer reviewed academic research (Brulle, 2013) and in recent books including: Doubt is their Product (Michaels, 2008), Climate Cover-Up (Hoggan & Littlemore, 2009), Merchants of Doubt (Oreskes & Conway, 2010), The Climate War (Pooley, 2010), and in The Climate Deception Dossiers (Union of Concerned Scientists, 2015). We strongly endorse Senator Whitehouse’s call for a RICO investigation.

The methods of these organizations are quite similar to those used earlier by the tobacco industry.
A RICO investigation (1999 to 2006) played an important role in stopping the tobacco industry from continuing to deceive the American people about the dangers of smoking. If corporations in the fossil fuel industry and their supporters are guilty of the misdeeds that have been documented in books and journal articles, it is imperative that these misdeeds be stopped as soon as possible so that America and the world can get on with the critically important business of finding effective ways to restabilize the Earth’s climate, before even more lasting damage is done.

The actual letter. [Emphasis mine. --DJW001]

What does Big Oil have to fear if they are investigated? I'm sure they can afford to buy off the FBI the same way they buy off academics.

If the misdeeds in these publications are so well documented go to court. By asking to validate the claims through Rico it's seems like some accusations were made absent of proof by a large number of people and now they want Obama to run with it.

Kind of odd considering the push is because they are claiming large groups of people are making claims that go against what these scientist are saying absent of proof.

Seems to me that these scientist are saying that we want we an investigation based on documented claims lacking proof. Because the people we disagree with are making claims based on documented claims lacking proof. I guess I wonder if making claims against the non believers without proof isn't also misleading the public how are the scientist thinking they shouldn't also be Rico investigated?

link   

Wouldn't it be funny if government-funded scientists falsified data and the RICO statutes went after the govern-. . . oh wait.

That's what I was saying before. It should apply both ways IMO. It would be ironic if during the investigation they found evidence that reversed the charges on to the other side. That would make for quite a scandal.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

BP, Exxon, Citgo... you know, the Good Guys who only want what's best for American citizens.

Ya, that would be my guess as well. They don't give any names. I'm sure the Koch's are possibilities as well.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

That's what I was saying before. It should apply both ways IMO. It would be ironic if during the investigation they found evidence that reversed the charges on to the other side. That would make for quite a scandal.

And it would never see the light of day, unless you're a person who thinks that the law is applied equally for everyone.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Well then they would have to investigate AL Gore now wouldn't they.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

And it would never see the light of day, unless you're a person who thinks that the law is applied equally for everyone.

You're probably right. That's one of the many reasons things are so screwed up too. People being above the law and all.

Although if you think charging a bunch of rich CEO's of energy companies and oil companies is any easier then you don't know the power they hold either. Just think about how hard it is to get one of those guys in jail. They have some of the best lawyers on earth that know every loophole and trick in the book so they're probably above the law the same as Gov.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks

If the misdeeds in these publications are so well documented go to court.

That's what they are initiating.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join