It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The WWII-Era Plane Giving the F-35 a Run for Its Money

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The WWII-Era Plane Giving the F-35 a Run for Its Money

An interesting article that goes into some of the insights of soldiers and brass about planes.

While I think he makes some wrong assumptions about the F-35.

He's probably right about how insurgencies are being fought.

It's a nice looking plane too.

The Super Tucano was a throwback to a bygone era of aerial combat—a time when pilots looked through the blur of a propeller and pointed their nose at the enemy before pulling the trigger. A time before auto-pilot, guided missiles, and infrared gun “pods.” The A-29 was fast enough to get to a fight quickly and light enough to stay there in a low, slow orbit overhead the battle.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Inexpensive to make too, but no match for a mig my guess. I like it, lets build some and patrol the borders with it.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: scattergun

Well. The right tool for the right job.

This thing can hang out for 4 hours. And go low and slow to drop a bunch of lead on the enemy.

Nothing wrong with that.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The Super Tucano is a COIN platform. It has a 3300 pound payload. The F-35, with external hardpoints active can carry over five times the payload.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
A-29 was not around in ww2.
However, it's a pretty good platform for COIN operations, due to it's ability to fly low and slow, and also being able to be on station for long periods of time. Operational cost is relatively cheap, or so google tells me.
Colombia has been using them for some years, with a high rate of success.
I don't think it can replace A10, since they have slightly different missions, but when it comes down Low Intensity COIN operations, in my opinion it's a winner.

AT-6B Texan II is an alternative to A-29 with some pros and cons, biggest pro being it's Country of origin, which is the US of A, and cheaper cost.
here is some info on both:
rhk111smilitaryandarmspage.wordpress.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The Super Tucano is a COIN platform. It has a 3300 pound payload. The F-35, with external hardpoints active can carry over five times the payload.

I'm not sure what coin is but I would think that the Super T would cost a whole lot less to operate that a F 35. Besides we could always call for support if needed from the Big boy fast movers..

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

But at $14 million a pop you can buy more of them.

Not saying it can replace the F35...... But not every job needs a $200 million aircraft.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: scattergun

COunter INsurgency. It's a cheap, lightweight platform designed to attack insurgent forces. It's not really suited for a peer war and wouldn't last long. Yes, it's cheaper to operate than the F-35, but you'd need five of them to carry the payload of one F-35A.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

And lose them faster than a fleet of B-52s against an S400.

Not everything needs a $200M platform, but you don't throw aircraft designed for low intensity conflicts into fights with anything resembling modern defenses.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

And lose them faster than a fleet of B-52s against an S400.

Not everything needs a $200M platform, but you don't throw aircraft designed for low intensity conflicts into fights with anything resembling modern defenses.

Well thats what I was angling at.

As I used the F-35 would have it own roles IE in a high intensity combat zone.

This seems like a good plane for mopping up the some ISIS rats.

link   

Not to mention a sixth one to carry the EW gear the F-35 has and maybe one more after that for the targeting capability.

This whole A-29 vs F-35 thing is a joke. Lol.

link   

originally posted by: kaskad
A-29 was not around in ww2.
However, it's a pretty good platform for COIN operations, due to it's ability to fly low and slow, and also being able to be on station for long periods of time. Operational cost is relatively cheap, or so google tells me.
Colombia has been using them for some years, with a high rate of success.
I don't think it can replace A10, since they have slightly different missions, but when it comes down Low Intensity COIN operations, in my opinion it's a winner.

AT-6B Texan II is an alternative to A-29 with some pros and cons, biggest pro being it's Country of origin, which is the US of A, and cheaper cost.
here is some info on both:
rhk111smilitaryandarmspage.wordpress.com...

This perfectly sums it up.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Which adds more money, more complexity to the current fleet, more supply issues, etc. The F-15 and F-16 and A-10 are all fine platforms for the mission against ISIS. More payload, fewer aircraft to carry the same payload, better targeting systems, etc.

There is no reason for an additional platform that can only be used in extremely limited situations.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

What about an OV-10 with a GAU-25 stuffed in the paratrooper space behind the cockpit?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

Another COIN platform, but better able to survive. These platforms are better suited to nations like Afghanistan or Columbia. Nations that aren't really suited or in a position where they're going to get into a major war and have a limited budget.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

How about a Skyraider? Wouldn't that be even cheaper for coin ops?

Not a bad payload either.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Age and cost. Yes the Skyraider can carry more payload, but the Tucano is cheaper to operate and maintain.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barnalby

What about an OV-10 with a GAU-25 stuffed in the paratrooper space behind the cockpit?

Airframes are old/obsolete and not in production. Philippines are replacing those with A29's I believe.

@Zaphod58,
It does add more complexity and additional cost to the supply train, but they can be used on our borders and in/around ISIL strongholds.
In the mean time, A10's can go into storage, and get modernized and retrofitted with never systems and what not.
That way when/if the day comes they will be ready.
Downside with them, is just like the OV-10B, production lines are closed, and factories would have to dig up the blueprints and re-start the whole process, that equals $$$.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Wonder how much it would take to make brand spanking new skyraiders lol!! No no i got one better a Stuka lol!!

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: kaskad

The problem is that right now the military is fighting for every dime. They're in danger of having to cancel and renegotiate the tanker contract because of budget issues.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join