It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House OKs Bill Blocking Planned Parenthood Funds, Amid Shutdown Worries

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Metallicus - I REALLY appreciate your thoughts on this, as you are coming from the far right Libertarian side of things (correct me if I'm wrong).

Government PP funding doesn't even include abortion funding, which is a whole separate set of books for the private funding of abortion, and not all PP clinics even give abortion services.

Anyway - thank you for that very sane assessment. I hope a lot of people on the Right will see things this way too.

peace,
AB

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
So................

If Congress sends a budget bill to the President's desk and the President exercises his Veto because he disagrees with additions or deletions how can one claim that Congress shutdown the government?

Seems that would be the President's Veto that would cause a shutdown.

Oh wait I forgot Obama has dictatorial powers in that he can demand Congress only send him bills he will sign.

That Boehner guy needs to go back and get advice from Pelosi on how this is supposed to work.

If they don't send Obama bills he likes it'll be all their fault things come to a halt.

GW rolls in grave once more.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

The government won't get shutdown over this bill because it isn't attached to a funding bill.

The shutdown issue is over Republicans, led by Ted Cruz, trying to attach a rider to defund Planned Parenthood to a critical funding bill that needs to be passed by the end of September lest the government shutdown knowing FULL well that Obama will have to veto that bill. That means it is the GOP's fault for pushing a critical bill through Congress that Obama has no choice but to veto. At least that is how the public at large will see it.

In other words, the majority of people think that defunding planned parenthood isn't a serious enough issue to shut the government down over.

Here's the conservative news outlet, The Hill, agreeing with me.
Poll: More voters would blame GOP for shutdown
edit on 18-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Nope, not deflecting, not trying to single out Muslims either. Metallicus did that in asking you what the Muslim stance is on abortion. Just like asking what the Christian stance is on abortion, there isn't "one".

You're right, all stereotypes are guilty of hypocrisy. Its not their fault.

I was asking an honest question of my ATS friend. I meant him no disrespect. I was curious.

And thank you, Charlie!

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Ok different bill I suppose, I wonder on the later one if Obama rather than shutdown via veto just go to Congress and work out PP issue as stand alone rather than play bully.

As an added thought - this is why I abhor omnibus spending bills!

It allows either party these games.
edit on 18-9-2015 by Phoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

The people playing bully are the Republicans forcing the issue by holding the government hostage over it, not Obama. Blaming Obama for the shutdown would be like blaming the kid who didn't give his lunch money up to the bully and subsequently got beat up for not handing the money over.
edit on 18-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

In a way I sort of see what you're saying in principle.

In practice the President is dictating to another branch of government what it will do.

Sure he can veto, but claiming Congress forced him to do so is a falsehood.

Overall It'd be nice to get some adults in there all the way around.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard
a reply to: Metallicus

Metallicus - I REALLY appreciate your thoughts on this, as you are coming from the far right Libertarian side of things (correct me if I'm wrong).

Government PP funding doesn't even include abortion funding, which is a whole separate set of books for the private funding of abortion, and not all PP clinics even give abortion services.

Anyway - thank you for that very sane assessment. I hope a lot of people on the Right will see things this way too.

peace,
AB

I don't consider myself far right, but certainly right leaning Libertarian. The Republicans and religious right are just as annoying as Dems. Anyone that stands in the way of individual freedom and liberty I consider a threat to my beliefs and values. If I lean right it is because I believe in personal responsibility and am against Government intrusions into our lives and wallets.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Well obama care is right there on the chopping block...

Good for Boehner for not letting the whole nation suffer because we have politicians that just care about pandering and not the reality of the situation.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

The president is also elected to represent us, if congress is sending bills that do not do that then he has a duty to veto. Still the fault of Congress for sending it.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix

In a way I sort of see what you're saying in principle.

In practice the President is dictating to another branch of government what it will do.

Don't obfuscate the issue. The President is performing his Constitutionally delegated powers here. It's called checks and balances. He has veto power for this VERY reason.

Sure he can veto, but claiming Congress forced him to do so is a falsehood.

No, it isn't.

Overall It'd be nice to get some adults in there all the way around.

Yea, then Obama wouldn't have to veto anything and Planned Parenthood wouldn't even be being discussed to be defunded because the Republicans would be more intellectually honest about reviewing those videos.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix
So................

If Congress sends a budget bill to the President's desk and the President exercises his Veto because he disagrees with additions or deletions how can one claim that Congress shutdown the government?

Seems that would be the President's Veto that would cause a shutdown.

Oh wait I forgot Obama has dictatorial powers in that he can demand Congress only send him bills he will sign.

That Boehner guy needs to go back and get advice from Pelosi on how this is supposed to work.

If they don't send Obama bills he likes it'll be all their fault things come to a halt.

GW rolls in grave once more.

Um. NO. Obama is not doing anything that Founding Father George Washington didn't do himself!! He is not acting as a Dictator, for the love of Constitutional Government, please check Article 1 section 7!!!

Here is an explanation of Presidential Veto Power, which CAN be overruled by a 2/3 majority - again, checks and balances!!

Article I, section 7 of the Constitution grants the President the authority to veto legislation passed by Congress. This authority is one of the most significant tools the President can employ to prevent the passage of legislation. Even the threat of a veto can bring about changes in the content of legislation long before the bill is ever presented to the President. The Constitution provides the President 10 days (excluding Sundays) to act on legislation or the legislation automatically becomes law. There are two types of vetoes: the “regular veto” and the “pocket veto.”

The regular veto is a qualified negative veto. The President returns the unsigned legislation to the originating house of Congress within a 10 day period usually with a memorandum of disapproval or a “veto message.” Congress can override the President’s decision if it musters the necessary two–thirds vote of each house. President George Washington issued the first regular veto on April 5, 1792. The first successful congressional override occurred on March 3, 1845, when Congress overrode President John Tyler’s veto of S. 66.
LINK
edit on 18-9-2015 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

They may regret it. This may already be posted, but saw this.

Judge: Anti-Planned Parenthood group must turn over evidence
thehill.com...

ETA: It is becoming striking how much legislation, in all branches of government, are directly related to women. Is that freedom?
edit on 19-9-2015 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join