It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House OKs Bill Blocking Planned Parenthood Funds, Amid Shutdown Worries

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

The House voted Friday to block federal funding to Planned Parenthood for a year and curb some abortion practices, in the chamber's first legislative response to videos showing the abortion provider's tissue harvesting practices.

I doubt this bill will ever see the senate floor or have any chance of getting past a veto, but I suppose it is a symbolic vote by Republicans to pander to their base. I can see why people would be against public funding for abortion, but I am just as much against killing people in wars and other Government sponsored crap with my tax dollars.

I have no love for PP, but defunding them and denying low-income families access to other important health care services they provide doesn't seem like the right answer to me.

News Source
edit on 2015/9/18 by Metallicus because: Readability

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

And we are not funding abortions... all this does is defund the prevention of them.

Hopefully this is nothing more then some pandering and gets squashed quick.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The U.S. Government has shut down many times, and everyone's world kept turning as before. Congress always passed emergency appropriations to keep critical programs like Medicare, Government Health Programs, etc.. funded during the shutdowns... So very few people, other than the doomsday loving media, even noticed.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Looks like propaganda won this time.

How sad.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

This is why I love ats...
You find common ground. I agree wholeheartedly with your op, though we differ on other viewpoints.

I'm just wondering if the repubs are so committed to shutting down the government over the issue in an election year. Because we know that's what will eventually occur. Until more funding for pet projects and bombs anyways...

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

It really is sad. Though in the end this will never passed the Senate.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TsukiLunar

Doesn't matter in the end. PP will keep their funding, I'm sure, but the real damage that is being done here is that almost an entire party fell for the propaganda, used that propaganda to push legislation and now these politicians will use this failure as some proof they are actually trying to do work for the American people.

A Republican fail will be twisted to equate to a victory.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Wait until it gets shutdown in the next stage and they start crying "Christian" persecution.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
this is what you get in this day and age, when you get a majority of republicans elected to congress.....where's the job bills?, the infrastructure bills?, the minimum wage bills?...where is all the legislation that is suppose to get this country back to work, and the workers making a decent wage.....nada...gone...one big fubar....you know, I hope the republicans shut down the government for a long time, the general populace will lose, business will lose, our credit will go down again like it did when they did the same thing in 2011, that costs billions for taxpayers in raised interest rates on U.S. treasuries......keep screwing up the country, republicans....and I hope the hardest hit are the very voters that elected these nimrods into office

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Veto. Silly republicans.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I have no love for PP, but defunding them and denying low-income families access to other important health care services they provide doesn't seem like the right answer to me.

Obamacare takes care of that issue for those low income folk... they just have to deal with the inconvenience of going to an actual medical center for whatever care they're looking for. Problem not solved, because it wasn't really a problem to begin with.

Defund it and shut the government down. Who cares at this point? Big Baby Boehner will just wilt at the zero hour and capitulate to whatever Obama is demanding as he always has, anyway...

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Wait until it gets shutdown in the next stage and they start crying "Christian" persecution.

Charlie, how does Islam view abortion?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

It's not universal.
I'd guess most find it abhorrent.
Some would be more like myself, find it abhorrent unless it's a life saving last resort.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

It's not universal.
I'd guess most find it abhorrent.
Some would be more like myself, find it abhorrent unless it's a life saving last resort.

And some would support the "honor killing" of a woman for the crime of having been raped, regardless of the fact that she may be carrying a child.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Hindus and Sikhs do that as well..
As well as African "Christians"...

I guess the atheists are the only ones who are squeaky clean.

Oh sorry I thought we were deflecting.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Nope, not deflecting, not trying to single out Muslims either. Metallicus did that in asking you what the Muslim stance is on abortion. Just like asking what the Christian stance is on abortion, there isn't "one".

You're right, all stereotypes are guilty of hypocrisy. Its not their fault.

edit on 18-9-2015 by windword because: added more thoughts

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
.....where's the job bills?, the infrastructure bills?, the minimum wage bills?...where is all the legislation that is suppose to get this country back to work, and the workers making a decent wage.....

Obama fixed all that during his 2 terms. All of those shovel ready projects saved this country and got the economy booming again.......

Oh wait...............

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Yeah my point is it's more of a socially and tribally cultural thing than religious...
Like FGM...

It's not really a right wing thing to disagree with abortion either, it's based on our own personal experience added with our own personal conscience or moral compass.

I'm not right wing, never have been, and I had my beliefs before I converted.
They haven't changed at all.

I don't know what I mean by all this, I guess it's just to say I don't think it's just a republican thing to want to defund PP...
Although I disagree with doing that too.

But I'm sure there are "lefties" & independents who bought into the CMP videos.

It takes all sorts.

ps wasn't accusing you of deflecting/derailing, just noticed that we were (unintentionally) and apologised to Metallicus for it.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

And we are not funding abortions... all this does is defund the prevention of them.

Hopefully this is nothing more then some pandering and gets squashed quick.

Obama has vowed to veto any defunding bills and there are currently enough votes to sustain a veto.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

To be honest, this is the best option they got at this point to make themselves look decent and look like they are doing something. If they let the government get shutdown over this issue, then the public is going to blame the GOP for the shutdown and it will hurt them more than help them.
edit on 18-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join