It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What High School Has Become - From a High School Teacher

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: stdscf12

What a marvelous OP and it really does explain the development of the Idiocracy Society of the future. When all that's left is Walmart and Costco and people drink Bondo because it has electrolytes but don't know what electrolytes are they won't even think to ask....."how did this happen?"

And really, for the 85% of the gene pool that makes up the society of Jerry Springer and the Kardashians, that's o.k. We'll legalize Marijuana and they'll live happy, stoned, lives waiting for the SSI Disability check, or for their grandmother's Social Security check to come in so they can buy more dope and booze and play video games in the basement.

For the 15% who can read and write and form ideas and engage in critical thinking, life will be all about....MAKING ENOUGH MONEY, to get out of Idiocracy. Their working lives will probably be pretty miserable and they'll face ever longer commutes to work so they can avoid the Idiocracy neighborhoods. For them, Money = Security = Escape at the end of their working lives.

And that pretty much explains part of your problem. You're a good and dedicated Teacher, not an Educrat. You just want to instruct and fill young minds of mush with knowledge. But, as times have changed, your goals have been daunted because while things changed around you.......you didn't change. And by change I mean you stayed in the Public School system. You definitely need to take your talents elsewhere, because they are wasted where you are. The offspring of the People of Walmart don't need you. In fact, they and their parents obviously resent your presence, probably because you don't give all the kids an "A" regardless of their performance.

So, the answer is........
MOVE!

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Parents are afraid of their children because the letters CPS are shoved down our kid's throats from the moment they start kindergarten. American kids have turned into entitled brats who know they can have their parents punished if they felt pushed too far. I don't believe in abusing children, but how many rotten kids do we see that would benefit from a firm hand rather than a limp wrist?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
But this is going according to plan.

When they reduce the people to a mass of ungoverned brutes who cannot govern themselves, then they will need to be governed and such damage will be done that they will never again aspire to self-rule. The power of the elites over the now truly great unwashed will be assured.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: alsace
WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN THE OBVIOUS LESSON?

DUH?

STATE EDUCATION DOES NOT WORK. It is an oxymoron.

The ONLY system that works is PRIVATE EDUCATION.

What needs to be done in the USA is OBVIOUS.

Its time to privatise ALL EDUCATION.
Give all the schools to the teachers to run as businesses.
Give every parent a voucher for one education per child.
Then the state pays the school fees for which ever school that they send their kids to up to a limit.

If a school is rubbish, no-one will send their kids there and the teachers will lose their jobs. If a school is great, everyone will send their kids there and the teachers will make a packet.

Private schools are successful because they expel the troublemakers. I went to a state school. Some classes were as good
as first year university (we called them Sixth Year Study years). Other classes were as bad as the worst scenes in "The Bronx Zoo". Students would just not sit down, throw stuff around, constantly make silly noises to annoy the teacher.
If they could have just thrown out those class clowns, all classes would have been good. Parents would have been forced to
send them to special teaching schools.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: alsace
WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN THE OBVIOUS LESSON?

DUH?

STATE EDUCATION DOES NOT WORK. It is an oxymoron.

The ONLY system that works is PRIVATE EDUCATION.

What needs to be done in the USA is OBVIOUS.

Its time to privatise ALL EDUCATION.
Give all the schools to the teachers to run as businesses.
Give every parent a voucher for one education per child.
Then the state pays the school fees for which ever school that they send their kids to up to a limit.

If a school is rubbish, no-one will send their kids there and the teachers will lose their jobs. If a school is great, everyone will send their kids there and the teachers will make a packet.

Private schools are successful because they expel the troublemakers. I went to a state school. Some classes were as good
as first year university (we called them Sixth Year Study years). Other classes were as bad as the worst scenes in "The Bronx Zoo". Students would just not sit down, throw stuff around, constantly make silly noises to annoy the teacher.
If they could have just thrown out those class clowns, all classes would have been good. Parents would have been forced to
send them to special teaching schools.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Life isn't good anymore. Morals used to be better. Its mostly from dark side of technology.
edit on 18-9-2015 by shamaniski because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Let's take a look at Jr High, and High school back in the old days. Here is some information on Indiana that is relevant. Let's take it as an example of what the whole country used to be like. First of all there is a strict moral code.

The Teachers will endeavor to combine mildness with firmness, kindness with justice. Strict regard will also be had to the language, the manners, the whole deportment of the pupils, in the school room and out of it, so as to secure, if possible, not only that they may become good scholars, but also good men and women. Students who will not refrain from drunkenness and other vicious indulgences, will be promptly dismissed, as dangerous to the morals of the school, and unworthy of a place in it or any other.

American Schools 1930s ATS: Critical thinking in Geometry

But the secularist regime called the Department of Education hijacked local authority of schools and did away with morals. We raised a generation of multiculturalists to be the new teachers. Of which the OP is one.

These days the closest one can get is a session on ethics. I wonder what the OP _really_ meant by "home life" when he characterized the quality of individual students and what they reflect. Unaware of the hole in his own soul, that there is no one morality and he has no right to expect one, he sighs and resigns himself to waiting it out.

We have known how to solve these problems for a long time. When boxing was taught in school, there were no fights in the halls. When riffle teams existed in the schools there was no one shooting up the place. If these things are messed up now. It is by design.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 18-9-2015 by mikegrouchy because: grammar

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

It is and isn't true. Most parents who are going to spend that kind of money on education will generally make sure their kids can at least pretend to be functional human beings when in class, but some pretty messed up people came out of private education. Most of our so-called elites are private schooled for example.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Preach sister/brother preach!

originally posted by: stdscf12
Don’t get me wrong, I understand that these issues are important and we don’t want conformist robots walking around our school

They are though.. because [1]

Schools have become the place for students to rebel and fight the “system”.

We have students/parents making our schools battlegrounds for religious issues, sexual preference issues, gender issues, racial issues, and just about everything else.

1. They only think they're rebelling. In reality they are caught up in the dialectic back and forth, contrived and worthless issues that only serve to divide.

This generation really is the worst. I know all generations say this but come on, the worthlessness, narcissism and entitlement of this generation must be self evident to all but the thickest.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I grew up with a math deficiency apparently NO ONE can explain I can't even find out who diagnoses that stuff to tell SSDI people. IN THE 70S they introduced the SRA reading stuff and in 3rd grade I was reading highschool level according to that ,yet I had JUST flunked the 2nd grade for math I dropped out and got a GED later because I preferred NOT to go to High school I was their for all 12 years but I wasn't going to graduate.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

The epidemic is called Narcissism and if you have influence, perhaps you can start talking about it with parents. However, congratulations for noticing a few key-factors and I will say, it is not an accident nor a coincidence that you mentioned those celebrities. Because it is that and the entire mainstream media programming people through subliminal s and hidden messages inside songs.

If you really want a few examples of these and you have an open mind. This may answer many of your questions as to why you are seeing students this way. (I myself was gonna be an English teacher, but ended up studying psychology and literature instead. (Though these days, I research more about the world, and came by many shocking evidences). But I do advice you to look into Narcissism and why this is destructive, not just within children, but adults as well.

Take a look at this mans summary on a Justin beiber Video. (These are the things being fed inside children's minds.)

Symbolism inside Video Games

You mentioned Kanye West..

There is much more things that affects kids and adults on a psychological level due to too much exposure to these social programmings. Which seems to be designed to program kids this way. Kids will imitate what they watch and if can be misled the wrong way.

Parents are afraid because they can't understand why they are acting this way, but also because these days, if you prohibit a child from watching MTV (for example) the child can scream out "child abuse" and actually win the case.

However, I do suggest you read and research Narcissism.

edit on th2015000000Fridayth000000Fri, 18 Sep 2015 16:16:03 -0500fAmerica/ChicagoFri, 18 Sep 2015 16:16:03 -0500 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Education is 1% teaching 99% learning.

Meaning teachers can't live their students lives.

Teachers can't learn for their students.

Like everything in life to be successful one has to put the work in THEMSELVES.

This is what has been lost.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I was a substitute teacher for the Little Rock school district at one point in time and these little terrorists absolutely destroyed the classroom. One day I had to call in security seventeen times within a 3 hour period because the children were throwing trash at me and standing on their desks. Finally the school Admin came in with the security officer and pulled me out of the classroom to explain to me that these children are the sons and daughters of crackheads. The Administrator berated me at the end of the conversation for not keeping order in the classroom and told me I wouldn't be coming back to work at her school because I was "Not tolerant enough" to deal with these children.

Should we go back to the pre-civil rights era and segregate schools again?

I say YES, let us teach our own, and they can do the same... Then there won't be any discrimination claiming by anyone!

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Compulsory schooling is nothing more than slavery, and you're nothing more than a publican, a tax collector, and slave driver all rolled up into one, victimizing himself because his boss handed him a short whip. The truth, however, is that you are the problem, because you are the hand of the slave master, the hand of the whip.

You want to enjoy teaching? You need to find people that want to learn what you believe in.

Have a good day.

edit on 9/18/2015 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I find it interesting that most people seem to think that the absolute best thing for a child is to turn it over to a state institution at age 4 or 5 so it can spend eight or nine hours a day held captive with little to no choice over its own activity.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Take it to Washington, would they listen? Nope!
Two maybe three more generations and the U.S.A. is lost, gone ah buh bye!
edit on 9/18/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Nice OP.

I teach High School as well. This week, two teachers were assaulted by different students in two days.

You might conclude that I have a somewhat different take on what's wrong with schools these days.

Harte

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

my 2c ...no, it's more like 4c...

The baby boomer generation could rebel against authority, because they were brought up with structure. Their children's generation, left to create their own structure, ignored authority altogether.

The 1980s ushered in a Me Generation, where greed, at any cost, was indeed deemed good. And above all, don't break a sweat for a living but find ways to make money by manipulating money and people.

"At any cost", including deception and lies, was the way to obtain any goal, whether in politics or religion, in public or in private. Life on Easy Street with a boat load of money was the goal.

Citizenship and allegiance to a government was broken, replaced with consumerism and allegiance to brand names. A sense of community was replaced by the "rugged individual"; any idea of community that existed fell along both tribal belonging and a deliberate divisiveness.

The classroom and schools would change and have changed, regardless of any mandates from the federal govt. Students no longer viewed teachers as having ultimate authority. While teaching became even more centered on the individual, the individual demanded less of themselves.

At first, parents were told to participate more, but often that only meant disgruntled parents yelling at principals. (A couple years ago, a parent called the principal to complain that a teacher was teaching Satanism and witchcraft, all due to her student's art teacher teaching a decades old lesson on European gargoyles.)

As communities broke down, so, too, schools would break down. Decades ago, sports was seen as the way out of poverty for youth. When that notion failed for most, schools were to become the next magic pill to make poverty go away. Major federal mandates stepped in to ensure that happen, complete with increased paperwork and corporate-like practices.

Not all schools were ever the same in America, just as not all communities were ever the same. Yet to some, ALL schools were seen as failing ALL students. The entire system was said to not work, and thus became the Federal effort to make them work (NCLB). Leaving it up to states was no longer an option.

I have not even dealt with drug use (by parents as well as students) or poor diet (a large sugary soda or energy drink with a large bag of chips is breakfast nowadays for some students). Bottom line, you are not teaching the same kinds of students as decades ago. Each time period has had its problems, but today there certainly does seem to be many variables.

Both my sons received an excellent education at public schools in a poor town (pre NCLB). And I really believe that students are challenged to learn more today than ever before. But, yes, the demands all around have gotten absurd. Especially absurd in a nation that really doesn't hold education in the highest regard. It is time for America to take a realistic look at American education.

ETA... TGIF Cheers! You deserve it!
edit on 18-9-2015 by desert because: ETA

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
In my opinion when teachers are able to teach without having a bias towards one type of student or another we will be able to move foward.

Who cares about what the cup looks like what matters is what you put in the cup.

We need quality teachers who do thier jobs not biased teachers that cant see past external differences in thier students.

I suggest the OP take a long look in the mirror. . . .

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

I'm sorry but any website which quotes Maria Montessori then goes on to rail against evil conservatives and defend the occupier is off the mark. I couldn't bring myself to read past the first couple sentences. Where is the moral outrage against bill gates buying off the national governors association and teachers unions and the crazy common core math and high stakes testing which the teachers don't even see because it's all come from a few people who are not even educators? Where is the outrage against the totalitarian Orwellian style trackingo,monitoring, and storing of data in giant data wRehouses and the possible selling of that data to third parties?
edit on 18-9-2015 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join