It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antidepressant Paxil Is Unsafe for Teenagers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

GlaxoSmithKline, one of their lead products, Paxil, was actually found to be BS!

That study — featured prominently by the journal BMJ — is a clear break from scientific custom and reflects a new era in scientific publishing, some experts said, opening the way for journals to post multiple interpretations of the same experiment. It comes at a time of self-examination across science — retractions are at an all-time high; recent cases of fraud have shaken fields as diverse as anesthesia and political science; and earlier this month researchers reported that less than half of a sample of psychology papers held up.

There has been an entire generation of children who have been essentially "guinea pigs" for GlaxoSmithKline. The studies began in the late 1990's. What kinds of effects were seen?

In an interview, Dr. Healy said that five of six adverse events labeled “emotional lability” in the original study involved suicidal thinking or behavior but were not presented as such. The patient-level files provided detail on what, exactly, happened in those cases: One teenager was hospitalized after taking 80 Tylenol tablets. Another overdosed on Paxil and other medications after a “disagreement with her mother.” Others suffered “severe suicidal ideation,” and one was “admitted due to severe suicidal and homicidal ideation, towards his parents.” No completed suicides occurred.

I recommend reading the full article here

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

Absolutely beyond me why anybody would think an antidepressant would be healthy for a child's mind anyway.

The developing mind is a delicate thing, teenagers often experience long bouts of depression, it's all about growing up!!

The effects of these drugs on serotonin production can leave a permanent fingerprint on an adult mind, let alone a child's mind.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
With any Anti-depressant, where does it end? You certainly don't get better on it, and they lose their effect and then what, more? From my own experience these drugs are garbage, more harm than good.

We need to Change our Money Worshipping Society to one that cares more about people. There's your Medicine.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
How many times are we going to be led down the Yellow Brick Road by Big Pharma? Drugs are not always the answer. The answer, in most cases, is to be found naturally. The answers are already available for most common ailments.

One thing is for sure though, until such time as Doctors are uncoupled from Pharmaceutical companies, we are all at risk. Turn on the television at any time of day and you will be subjected to an onslaught of prescription med advertisments and - insanely - advertisements from personal injury lawyers seeking clients injured by some of those very same drugs.

Something is very wrong.

I urge everyone to please, please research your script before filling it. Go to message boards and read what people who have actually taken the medicine have experienced. Also, be honest with yourself as to whether your own habits or lifestyle could be causing your ailment. Yes, some people do need meds, but not everyone.

And for God's sake, don't medicate your child because you are too lazy to parent. And don't medicate yourself because you are too lazy to change habits.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Yeah, SSRI's are probably unfit for human consumption all together, imo.

But, every time the pharmaceutical corporations billion dollar (placebo) scam gets called out, they get away with it, by just spitting some propaganda crap about how its only teenagers that can fall out, well taking it.

SSRI's are just a useless placebo, imo.... But anyway.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

This is how they operate.

Major pharmaceutical fraud & settlements between Big Pharma (including vaccine manufacturers) and the United States Justice Department you probably didn't hear about:
In 2001 TAP Pharmaceutical Products was found in violation of medicare fraud and kick backs regarding the product Lupron and paid out 875 million.
In 2002 was found in violation of poor manufacturing processes involving the drug Clariton and paid out over $500 million.
In 2003 AstraZeneca was found in violation of medicare fraud involving the drug Zoladex and paid out over 355 million
In 2004 Schering-Plough was found in violation of medicare fraud and receiving kick backs over the product Claritin and settled in court for 345 million.
In 2004 Pfizer (vaccines) was found in violation of off label promotions and settled for 430 million in payouts over the drug Neurontin.
In 2005 Serono was found in violation of off label promotion, monopoly practices and kick backs. The drug in question was Serostim.
In 2007 Purdue Pharma was found in violation of off label promotion of Oxycontin and paid out 601 million.
In 2007 Bristol-Myers Squibb were found in violation of medicare fraud, off labeling and kick backs over the drug Abilify/Serzone and settled on 515 million.
In 2008 Merck (vaccines) was found in violation of medicare fraud and kick backs over the product Zocor/Vioxx/Pepsid and paid out 650 million.
In 2008 Cephalon was found in violation of off label promotion regarding the products Actiq/Gabitril/Provigil and paid out 425 million.
In 2009 Eli Lilly (vaccines) was found in violation of off label promotion and settled on a 1.4 billion dollar pay out.
In 2009 Pfizer (vaccines) was found in violation of off label promotions regarding Bextra/ Geodon/ Zyvox /Lyrica and kick backs and settled on a 2.3 billion dollar payout.
In 2010 GlaxoSmithKline (vaccines) was found in violation of poor manufacturing processes regarding Kytril/Bactroban/
Paxil CR/Avandamet and paid out 750 million.
In 2010 was found in violation of off label promotions and receiving kick backs and paid out over 520 million.
In 2012 GlaxoSmithKline (vaccines) was found in violation of Criminal: Off-label promotion, failure to disclose safety data.
Civil: paying kickbacks to physicians, making false and misleading
statements concerning the safety of Avandia, reporting false best
prices and underpaying rebates owed under the Medicaid Drug Rebate Program and regarding the drugs Avandia, Wellbutrin,Paxil, Advair,Lamictal, Zofran,Imitrex, Lotronex,Flovent, Valtrex and paid out 3 billion dollars.
In 2013 Johnson & Johnson was found in violation of off label promotions and kick back regarding Risperdal/Invega/
Nesiritide and paid out 2.2 billion.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure most of these drugs have a warning about giving them to teenagers and often the elderly too.
If you know how these drugs work on the brain then it's quite obvious why they actually cause severe depression and suicidal thoughts to begin with.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: JetBlackStare
Turn on the television at any time of day and you will be subjected to an onslaught of prescription med advertisments and - insanely - advertisements from personal injury lawyers seeking clients injured by some of those very same drugs.

Seriously though, whats up with that?

It's actually illegal to advertise prescription drugs here. But whenever I watch American television there constantly advertising prescription drugs. It doesn't even make any sense, since doctors are only supposed to prescribe what they feel is needed and not what the patient requests.

Goddamn American prescription drug ads, is a perfect example of capitalism gone completely out of control... Capitalism on steroids, is what it is!
edit on 18-9-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: JetBlackStare

How many times are we going to be led down the Yellow Brick Road by Big Pharma? Drugs are not always the answer. The answer, in most cases, is to be found naturally. The answers are already available for most common ailments.

One thing is for sure though, until such time as Doctors are uncoupled from Pharmaceutical companies, we are all at risk. Turn on the television at any time of day and you will be subjected to an onslaught of prescription med advertisments and - insanely - advertisements from personal injury lawyers seeking clients injured by some of those very same drugs.

Something is very wrong.

I certainly can appreciate your thoughts above. Anytime I have been at the Doctor's office you can be sure that the Pharma reps will be there as well with their free samples, ink pens, calendars and the like!

And for God's sake, don't medicate your child because you are too lazy to parent.

I do on some level understand and agree with this statement above except in those cases where the child is suffering from mental illness or a developmental disability and the parent is unable to help the child. When all other avenues have been travelled and maybe drugs are all that is left.

And don't medicate yourself because you are too lazy to change habits.

The above statement I take offense at. Some folks have suffered from Depression all of their lives. I don't think most take drugs because they are lazy rather because they feel they have tried everything else and this is the only thing that maybe allows them to function in their day to day world. I just felt as if that was a sweeping insensitive statement.

Peace

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
So how many mass shooters were on this medication?

That's what I wanna know.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

It's really not my intention to be offensive. I'm sorry.

However, modern sensibilities make it seem okay to pass out medication like candy. Of course some genuinely need medication but others view it as an easy fix. Like fast food dinner on a busy night or duct tape in pinch. It's easy but it's not necessarily healthy and the fix won't last long.

I can't remember the stat (and maybe someone here knows it and can share it) but there is a staggering number of Americans on prescription drugs now. Is it really because they need it or because they are marketed to so ceaselessly? Just like the fact that people will eat more if bigger portions are served, so too will they take more prescription drugs if the drugs are more marketed and available.

The Pharmaceutical/Medical cooperative has become something out of Huxley.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The problem with anti depression medicine, is they don't work many times, most in many cases do nothing.

Suicidal person gets anti D medicine, medicine doesn't work, it does nothing, person commit suicide, medicine gets the blame.

Suicidal person get's anti D medicin, person doesn't take his medicin, but instead stock up and take and overdose of the medicine, medicine get's the blame.

Often there are no feelings or physical reaction of the medicine, you don't get high or stoned/ sleepy or anything, the medicine works in the background.

If you don't feel any change in your emotional behavior after some months, you eihter need to find another medicine or change something in your life in alternative ways, theraphy meditation, stuff like that.

You don't just pop a pill, and instantly get better, it takes time and serious notice of the state of body and mind.

Doctors and pill doesn't save your life, they are only a tool to help you, only yourself can save your life.
edit on 18-9-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JetBlackStare

No apology needed!
See why I'm medicated?! LOL

I totally agree with the prescription drug epidemic. Personal experience has taught me that Doctors are too ready to hand out Hydros and Percs to ANYone with ANY ailment that perhaps an OTC would help.
My 93 year old Mother had to jump through hoops to get her pain meds increased. She had legitimate health issues and it used to infuriate me that while waiting in line at the pharmacy with her in her wheelchair, young people would be filling their pain meds in better shape than she and I!

Anyway, rant over
Thanks for your response!

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I just wanted to state of a common misconception about anti depressants. They don't make you feel good or happy when you take them unlike say things like diazipan.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This is one of those topics where we are going to see a ton of people screaming how antidepressants and SSRI's are evil, horrible, ect ect...

And yet if you took an honest poll, most of the people screaming or yelling would secretly be on them, or have been on them.

It's the same with fast food. Everyone complains, acts tough -- yet last week you might have seen them choking down a McNugget.

This is one of those things that no one wants to admit. It is seen as a sign of weakness to even admit you are depressed, and worse if you admit you needed medication to help you. So, some people use bashing the medication as a defense mechanism to hopefully detract the issue of them using, or have used the medication. It's a subconscious thing.

My issue with Paxil for teens...

Teenagers are moody anyway due to their hormonal irregularities. Why in the world would you introduce a drug into their body that messes with their neurotransmitters at that age? Their brains haven't even stopped growing.

If anything, cognitive-behavioral therapy or any other kind of therapy should be tried with teenagers. It's safer that's for sure. It also teaches people to solve their own problems, getting to the root of the depression. Those are real skills that someone can use for life.

A pill dosen't give you any skills or teach you how to become a better person. A pill simply modulates your chemistry (which admittedly may need tweaking as an adult)...

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I want to know how many mass shooters used Crest toothpaste. Woah, almost all of them?! The Crest toothpaste is something the have in common...hm, so Crest toothpaste must cause mass shootings!

The thing is, so many people are on these drugs that claiming it is causing mass shootings is silly. Correlation does not indicate causation. We desperately want to find something to point a finger at, and these SSRI-type drugs are seen as a common sign of mental weakness. It's an easy target, as none of us ever want to readily admit to being on them or having used them.

And with so many people being on these drugs, we should be seeing skyrocketing numbers of people committing mass shootings. We ought to be having several mass shootings a day based on the sheer number of people taking these drugs. We aren't, which indicates that it's not the drugs causing the people people to snap.

There is such a thing as a predisposition to crazy.
edit on 18-9-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
So I take it everyone on here that has spoken against Paxil has either been on it themselves or taken something similar? The reason I ask is that I have seen it help people over and over again and frankly anyone that thinks it doesn't work or at least CAN work for people with serious depression or anxiety are plain wrong.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
So I take it everyone on here that has spoken against Paxil has either been on it themselves or taken something similar? The reason I ask is that I have seen it help people over and over again and frankly anyone that thinks it doesn't work or at least CAN work for people with serious depression or anxiety are plain wrong.

Does this mean you take Paxil?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Paxil damn near killed my son.

Took years to save his life.

Paxil

edit on 18/9/15 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I was put on Paxil when I was about 17 years old, all it did was mess me up more than I was, one minute I was happy and outrageously upbeat, the next I was crying in the corner. I felt like I was spinning around and around, and talked really fast. Needless to say I freaked my friend out and had her worried. Plus I felt even more suicidal than I was(I went on it because I was having those thoughts and tried to...) I felt shaky and like I had bugs crawling on me all the time. I went a month like that and my Dad told me to stop taking it and took me back to the doctor.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join