It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nobel Panel: On Second Thought, Giving Obama the Peace Prize May Have Been a ‘Mistake’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Funny, you list all of the reasons why he shouldnt of got it but when some one addresses one them it is an off topic red herring? Why is it in the op?

He shouldn't of gotten it agreed. But really only because he hadn't done jack when he got it. Doesn't deserve it now either though.

Will remember your disdain for off topic red herrings next time you want to bring up guns crops and the ultra wealthy.
edit on thFri, 18 Sep 2015 00:50:05 -0500America/Chicago920150580 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
One needs a larger accomplishment that being s-elected to get an award like that.
Being a community organizer or part time law professor doesn't cut it.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
The Bush administration is the one who started all of this by invading Iraq based on a lie. I know it's easy to blame Obama, I don't think he deserved the Nobel Peace Prize either, but to blame the wars in the Middle East on him is totally naive and ignorant. If we didn't destabilize Iraq in the first place based on inaccurate intelligence, ISIS would have never been created. ISIS lies squarely on the shoulders of the Bush administration, that's the plain truth.

Still blaming Bush I see. Wasnt it part of receiving the award "Peace"? Is that not part of the title ? What has Obama done to promote peace? Did Bush (either ) receive a Nobel Peace Prize ? That was the original idea of the OP , I believe.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Bush needs to be brought up, the two wars we got into under him had lasting effects.
They BOTH get blame, but we can't just act like Bush didn't exist.
edit on thFri, 18 Sep 2015 01:15:25 -0500America/Chicago920152580 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   

I blame a lot of people in the government, not just Bush or Obama. Bush and Obama get orders from people above them too you know. But the Bush Administration started this war when we invaded Iraq under false pretenses, so yes they definitely deserve some or a lot of blame for current events in the Middle East.
edit on 9/18/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

It's been 7 years now.

Simple question do you think Obama earned the Nobel Peace Prize?

I never really understood how he got it in the first place.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Syria is %100 a Barack Obama production.

He wanted to go into Syria awhile ago.

He pushed to fund Syrian "rebel groups" to the tune of half a billion dollars.

This does not deserve the NPP.

" I'm good at killing people"-Barack Obama

Nobel Peace prize winner.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

You really think Obama is the only one to blame? You think he was the mastermind behind Syria? Hardly, he may be a cog in the machine but there are others behind the curtains that orchestrated this whole war. If anything Obama is a patsy, the same goes for Bush and the Iraq war. He was the patsy, but he was complacent in it just as Obama is today.

This whole idea that one person is responsible for the troubles in America and across the world is ridiculous. Obama isn't the mastermind behind any of this, he's only a puppet on strings, just like every other president that came before him.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I blame a lot of people in the government, not just Bush or Obama. Bush and Obama get orders from people above them too you know. But the Bush Administration started this war when we invaded Iraq under false pretenses, so yes they definitely deserve some or a lot of blame for current events in the Middle East.

Again , not faulting anyone , but the OP was about Obama and the Nobel Peace Prize he won before taking office....not either Bush who neither has won this award...

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
He didn't deserve it then........ He certainly has done nothing to deserve it now. He DID however set the curve extremely low for the next recipient. ....

I nominate Mr. Piffles!!!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
"" Nobel Panel: On Second Thought, Giving Obama the Peace Prize May Have Been a ‘Mistake’

Possibly one of the biggest fumble-flop failures in the history of the Nobel Prize.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Yea, I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with this. I STILL think giving Obama the Nobel Peace Prize based on hype alone was the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Do you think Obama earned his Nobel Peace Prize ?

Great big nope.

I thought earned meant a person did something first, and in this case that it had to do with peace that had an impact on a sizable portion of mankind.

In the world today, giving the reward for effort before it is done almost assures the effort will not be done. I will be a bit suspicious of this award in the future since it was admitted there was motive behind it's presentation.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Giving him the nobel was really just an award for being half-black and being elected president. All those people in their ivory towers thought we had crossed some amazing boundary.
Nope business as usual.

-wars continued
-debt continued
-every government data point manipulated and revised every month to show growth as labor participation rate has crashed. -cant count people not looking for work as unemployed.
-most job growth has actually been in the 55+ age group(cant afford to retire) and foreign born workers.
-wage growth non-existent
-racial relations set back 20 years
-government spying now all intrusive and considered legal.
-ACA, worse than even single payer
-a general societal collapse, as welfare people pump babies while couples trying to raise kids w/o welfare are taxed and wage suppressed. delayed, absent family formation.
-the typical youth went to college, are now in debt and the job every adult told them would be there at age 16 is not.

/end rant

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Gee YA THINK? It's been seven years, and what does the survey say? The world is more violent today than ever. Millions of refugees are fleeing from the middle east to western countries. Iraq is a total lost. Syria has been embroiled in 'civil' war with a death toll is getting close to or surpassed a decade of war in Iraq. Allies aren't too happy with us. He has droned more people than his predecessor. Obama bombed the hell out of Libya for some unknown reason since no one has heard a peep from them in over 30 years. The absolute asinine deal with Iran.

On the domestic front inciting racial tensions. Inciting tensions with the police. Peddling his class warfare rhetoric. Thousands of refugees flooded across the southern border. Thousands are coming from the middle east. More people are out of work today than ever. More people are living in poverty here in the us than ever. Double the national debt to $18 trillion+.

Really giving Obama the 'nobel' peace prize' was almost as biggest mistake as his election.

When the Nobel committee awarded President Obama the Peace Prize just eight and a half months after he stepped foot in the Oval Office, many people were left scratching their heads. After all, what, exactly, had this community organizer-turned-president done yet to deserve a prize shared by the likes of Mother Theresa? Well, even the committee acknowledged at the time they weren’t giving it to him for accomplishments already made, but those hoped for.

But those hoped for!

Awarding Obama the nobel peace prize is the pinnacle of giving someone a trophy just for showing up.

"Even many of Obama's supporters believed that the prize was a mistake," Lundestad wrote in excerpts of the book, the AP reports.

Mmhmm.

As a liberal, and initial supporter of Obama, I agree that he shouldn't have been given the peace prize.

Why? Because he has continued the US and Western policy of neo-colonialism and aggression, through proxy wars and regime change in Libya and Syria. That alone makes anyone in charge of that undeserving of the peace prize.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

Nice selective quoting - wow -

“[We] thought it would strengthen Obama and it didn’t have this effect,” Geil Lundestad told the Associated Press in an interview.

Lundestad, who stepped down last year after 25 years as the non-voting secretary of the secretive committee, noted that Obama was startled by the award and that his staff even investigated whether other winners had skipped the prize ceremony in Oslo.

That has happened only on rare occasions, such as when dissidents were held back by their governments.

"In the White House they quickly realized that they needed to travel to Oslo," Lundestad wrote.

"Even many of Obama's supporters believed that the prize was a mistake," Lundestad wrote in excerpts of the book, the AP reports. "In that sense the committee didn't achieve what it had hoped for."

How are you going to try to defend Obama?

Or the idiots that gave him the Nobel?

This guy has intentionally inflamed racial tension, intentionally turned law enforcement and citizens against eachother, and had more people killed by his word than any other president in US history, or any modern western leader in modern times!!!

He is the exact opposite of the person to give the peace prize to..... Obviously!!!

Dude, no.

I'm not defending Obama, but when you make statements like "had more people killed by his word than any other president," you are WAY off the mark.

Bush Jr. factually has caused more death by FAR than Obama. It's pure facts. The Iraq War alone resulted in up to 200,000 civilians dead.

We can say Obama didn't deserve the Peace Prize and is problematic without engaging in fallacies or even lies.
edit on 18-9-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

The Nobel prize has lost all value since then, I would not be surprised to find one on eBay now LOL

NOTE: After a quick search it looks like you can find them on eBay HA!!! With free shipping, cool I can get a medal too, and don't even have to go to Oslo for it.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The issue at hand is.

Do you think Obama earned his Nobel Peace Prize ?

The "Peace Prize" isn't an edict to "Go out and create peace". Obama was awarded the prize for what he already had done, promoting global peace and tolerance. He wasn't given the prize in order to ensure the future expectation of global peace through an American President. There isn't a person in the world who could live up to those expectations.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I said it was ridiculous 5 years ago it’s about time the committee has come around to my thinking.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Let's give someone the Nobel Peace Prize based, on expectations. lmao.

www.usnews.com...

Speaking to AP on Wednesday, Lundestad said he didn't disagree with the decision to award the president but the committee "thought it would strengthen Obama and it didn't have this effect."

Talk about eating crow now.
edit on 18-9-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join