It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Murders Down in Many Big U.S. Cities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
An Associated Press survey shows some of the largest cities in the United States had a lower number of homicides in 2004 than in recent years. Police officials attributed the decrease to increased manpower in troubled areas and targeting of illegal drugs and guns. The statistics matched the nation's homicide rate for the first half of 2004, which was down 6% compared to the same time last year.

www.lasvegassun.com
Big cities were less deadly places to live in 2004 as murder rates declined in several urban areas, including New York, Chicago and Washington, D.C., according to a survey by The Associated Press.

Officials in New York and Chicago credit the drop to crime-fighting strategies that included putting more officers on the street and beefing up patrols in dangerous neighborhoods.

Exceptions to the trend were St. Louis, Detroit and Baltimore, where killings were up following steady declines.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Unfortunately, the decreases in some cities were balanced by increases in others, such as Baltimore, Detroit, and St. Louis. Baltimore experienced rampant drug trade and police leadership problems, while Detroit's high rate was blamed on a variety of social problems.

I believe a leading cause for the decline in the homicide rate is the aging of the U.S. population in general. Hopefully, the rates will continue to decline as the population continues to age.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
www.cnn.com
www.detnews.com

[edit on 31-12-2004 by Banshee]

Odd

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
in light of the recent lifting of the assault weapons ban, I think this may qualify as evidence that such weapons are not innately harmful to society, as long as they are kept out of the wrong hands.

With police targeting buyers and sellers of unlicensed guns, we're doing what we should be: allowing responsible citizens to own guns, as long as they are licensed and qualified to do so.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Chicago has been adding more Officers in the more dangerous parts of town for many years now. The reason why the crime has lowered is due to surveillance technology like traffic cams at intersections and full 360 monitoring cams linked to our 911 center that watches all them in the worst parts of town. These cameras are huge blue boxes with a blue strobe on top and the tradition black half globe for protection of the 360 camera, and they also use sound detection technology to pinpoint the location of a gunshot within 10 meters (by calculating the sound by three of the cameras to find the epicenter). I remember when they first put them up and only a few weeks later, suspects were getting tracked down quick after shootings because they would know exactly where they're by at the time and can also use the cameras to track them down or get a good description or even license plate number. They've helped, I have to admit because now people can actually walk around those parts and a chain effect has occurred because the gangs know now that it isn't as easy as it was before to get away.

Here's some links to articles explaining about these cameras, and the stats don't lie, they've worked.
USATODAY.com
NBC5.com

[edit on 1-1-2005 by makavelli]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I hate to consider it, but could this be the legacy of mullah Ashcroft, who had thaught us that "the reason for crime is ...criminals"?.

At the same time that heavy crime (like murder) drops, the prisons are getting filled with people doing a LOT of time for just small crimes, like being black and smoking pot ...

I am only halve joking here, could there be a relation between small time crimesters off the streets so they less oppertunity to take their crimes to the next level ?

Well, I guess there are more factors, like the agething already mentioned and frankly the National Rifle Association will dig up a dozen other reasons as to dillute/obscure the effect guncontrol might have on the murderrate.

[edit on 1-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

[edit on 1-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odd
in light of the recent lifting of the assault weapons ban, I think this may qualify as evidence that such weapons are not innately harmful to society, as long as they are kept out of the wrong hands.

With police targeting buyers and sellers of unlicensed guns, we're doing what we should be: allowing responsible citizens to own guns, as long as they are licensed and qualified to do so.

I don't think that there is any correlation between the lapse of the assault weapons ban and the drop in homicide rates in large cities--the ban was just lifted in September. Also, homicide rates in most large cities have been declining since the early 90's mainly because of tougher penalties for commiting a crime, as well as putting more police on the street.

www.ojp.usdoj.gov...

top topics

join