It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. National Debt Crisis Coming Soon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
As some people already know, the U.S. National Debt has been "Frozen" for about 6 months.

Day to day, it hovers around the $18,112,975,000,000 mark (that's Trillion $$ - with a "T")

An article of course is questioning the possibility that the government is at some kind of land's end with borrowing via the U.S. Treasury securities it sells to get quick cash revenues above tax revenues to cover the wild deficit spending binges.

Seems this may actually be helping the deficit spending at least for now, unless they binge-spend as soon as they get more fresh cash to fuel the fires.

But Congress must act in order to raise the debt ceiling.

Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew apparently has issued a "letter" extending a “debt issuance suspension period” through October 30.

The new fiscal year (2016) starts Oct 1st.

What is going on here?

We know they've done this before, but maybe not for this length of time.

Perhaps the Treasury securities have met an impasse because of low interest rates?

Look for a big fight in Congress very soon, and who knows what Obama is up to, nor do we know what "hostages" will be taken by Congress.

US GOVERNMENT has its debt frozen ! 175 DAYS with frozen DEBT! NOBODY LENDING THE US ANYMORE?

Is the us government broke and nobody is lending money to the US government?

175 Days: Treasury Says Debt Has Been Frozen at $18,112,975,000,000

The portion of the federal debt that is subject to a legal limit set by Congress closed Friday, Sept. 4, at $18,112,975,000,000, according to the latest Daily Treasury Statement, which was published at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday.

That, according to the Treasury’s statements, makes 175 straight days the debt subject to the limit has been frozen at $18,112,975,000,000.

$18,112,975,000,000 is about $25 million below the current legal debt limit of $18,113,000,080,959.35.

On July 30, Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew sent a letter to the leaders of Congress saying he was extending a “debt issuance suspension period” through October 30.

related story .....
Fed holds rates unchanged amid low inflation, financial tumult

related link .....
Daily Treasury Statements

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I know you will agree that we already have a "debt crisis" in the US because of the amount of debt we have accrued, as you point out over 18 trillion. October 1 is the new fiscal year and it will be a headache for anyone that works or does business with the U.S. government because there will be another circus showdown and shutdown as they squabble over billions as the rest of us count pennies.

I see the "frozen" debt as another way the current administration and Congress is able to hide the fact that the debt ceiling has been surpassed long ago. I do see a point where we will be forced to deal with the debt like we have never had to before, whether this is soon or not is harder to tell as they do have so many accounting tricks to use.

Austerity measures could be in our future as many parts of Europe are dealing out now but yes I agree there is a crisis coming and it is only a matter of time. Negative interest rates have already been discussed and could be the trigger for the whole thing to come crashing down so I hope they take into account the consequences before enacting such measures, but they may be a necessary step in order to at least stall the inevitable.
edit on 9/17/2015 by DJMSN because: addition

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I do not think the USA is alone in their economic woes. Although I live here, I know the 1% of the 1% of the known 1% are playing the Monopoly game with countries and economies as the trade source. If you want GLOBAL, you get GLOBAL...aall the bad stuff too.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
GASP! could it be they are actually working within their budgets and thats th ereason th edebts not increasing?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

But Congress must act in order to raise the debt ceiling.

What happens when they failed to raise the debt ceiling any further, or is it even possible to continue doing that. Given the current volatile state of the Global market how is this gonna pan out?

It's seems as the sh*ts been pulled back far enough that it's about to be shot straight at the proverbial fan.

Peace

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Our biggest creditor is selling US Treasuries.

www.bloomberg.com...

China has cut its holdings of U.S. Treasuries this month to raise dollars needed to support the yuan in the wake of a shock devaluation two weeks ago, according to people familiar with the matter.

Channels for such transactions include China selling directly, as well as through agents in Belgium and Switzerland, said one of the people, who declined to be identified as the information isn’t public. China has communicated with U.S. authorities about the sales, said another person. They didn’t reveal the size of the disposals.

The People’s Bank of China has been offloading dollars and buying yuan to support the exchange rate, a policy that’s contributed to a $315 billion drop in its foreign-exchange reserves over the last 12 months. The $3.65 trillion stockpile will fall by some $40 billion a month in the remainder of 2015 because of the intervention, according to the median estimate in a Bloomberg survey.

China selling Treasuries is “not a surprise, but possibly something which people haven’t fully priced in,” said Owen Callan, a Dublin-based fixed-income strategist at Cantor Fitzgerald LP. “It would change the outlook on Treasuries quite a bit if you started to price in a fairly large liquidation of their reserves over the next six months or so as they manage the yuan to whatever level they have in mind.”

This may start a panic sell by other holders in the entire US Treasuries market leaving only the Federal Reserve to pick up the securities coming due.

I'm afraid the chickens are coming home to roost. Anyone here agree?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Not a chance in Hell.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

What is going on here?

They are cooking the books.

'Frozen' debt ?

That is some massive manipulation going on.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
To be fair, the governments full of sh*t.... that is all

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

Not a chance in Hell.

MAybe. I htink th worlds financial powers should all have a mergency meeting and agree to n ullify all debts they owe to one another to 2007 levels. if th eentire world does it inflation will be seriously crippled.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Found something very odd on US Debt Clock (.org)

USDebtClock

That's the usual UsDebtClock it shows a debt of $18,390,321,000,000 as of my posting this

but there's something new here, called "BUDGET SHOWDOWN 2019" with comparisons between the estimates of different branches (or whatever you'd call them) (Congressional Budget Office, Office of Mngmt & Budget, etc.): link

Showing a balance of $ 21+ trillion

I've gone to this website regularly for years and this is something new (and ODD considering they have messed around with the "debt ceiling" to the extent that they have already)

I also wonder who's running the website. Is that a little disconcerting to anyone else? They have time to keep track of all this # and we have quantitative data and yet they are STILL driving us full speed off a cliff? What the hell! Any thoughts?

Google search of "2019 Budget Showdown" (with or without "US Debt", "US Deficit", etc.) did not turn up anything really either:
www.google.com...=2019+budget+showdown+debtclock

Interesting, isn't it??

edit on 17-9-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I have stated before that the worst news about Walmart spending 250 Billion dollars within 10 years to bring back jobs to the US is the possibility that its NOT a PR stunt or a bluff.

In order for them to make such an investment to undo what they in essence started and perfected, is for our economy to crash to a point that we will be desperate enough to compete head to head with Chinese slave labor.

However, While I do see a lot of cooked books I also have a hard time swallowing that the Global Oligopolies of the world would allow for the worlds greatest consumers to go belly up.

Than again , there are plenty of countries out their to buy all the latest gadgets that come to market rather than saving and getting necessities.

edit on 33930America/ChicagoThu, 17 Sep 2015 23:33:21 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

You stopped too soon and forgot to mention that if China unloads US Treasury Securities to the Federal Reserve, then that debt is held by the public because the Federal Reserve is not an arm of the Federal Government. If the Securities are sold back to the US Treasury then the debt is split between the public and the federal government.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Looks like federal employees get another unwanted month off. Just like every year for the last few years.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

No

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dem0nc1eaner

No

we can only hope lol.

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
since yelling didn't lift-off with a rate increase.....it means she kept bloodshed off the streets of the smaller countries....she had to do that.....
it means we only have 6-10 days before the markets slam.....get a relationship with God.....global situation is ....as the car dealers say...." you're upside down in this loan "....and it's not iffy....it's the math that says no way out......
It's God wanting all to see Him.....to just know He's right here.....knocking on the door, just turn the handle, man....yes push the lever on the door....yank the damn door open.....and a smile will ensue

edit on 19-9-2015 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

top topics

join