It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Redefining Evil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Unto many, the concept of evil is a very clearcut paradigm.

Unto most, evil is anything described as morally impure.

Thus rape, theft, murder, torture--these things are widely classified as evil, because these things we can agree that none should do.

But the definition of evil should really be a lot broader, because evil is, by its very nature, the antithesis of good. And the highest possible good is perfection of the self in all possible ways.

Therefore, evil should truly be defined as anything that impedes your progress towards that goal--anything that slows your forward momentum of spiritual progress. Thus whenever something moves you off any road leading to perfection at any benevolent endeavor, it by definition becomes evil.

So anyone in your life that influences you against your best interests is committing an act of evil.

Anything that keeps you from living up towards your ideal state is evil.

And anything you do that runs contrary your apex goals is evil.

Seen through that lens--ascribing that harshest of condemnations unto those deeds--does more than redefine evil in a more comprehensive way. It lets you neurologically condition yourself towards instinctively avoiding those behaviors.

What I mean is this:

Most of us never truly want commit an act of evil. So when you redefine an act as evil, you provide an intrinsic incentive towards never doing it again.

Thus once you start seeing skipping workouts as evil (an act that impedes your opportunity towards attaining an apex physical state), you suddenly begin viewing that action in an entirely new light. Then suddenly, skipping your workouts becomes a sin that you need avoid at any cost.

And once you start seeing speaking rude words as evil (an act that slows down the perfection of your spirit), you suddenly find yourself doing everything possible towards staying kind towards everyone.

And once you start seeing eating unhealthy food as evil (an act that also interferes with maintenance of the body), you suddenly have a powerful weapon against junk food.

So even if you can't quite wrap your head around the argument of why evil needs be redefined, still you have a powerful incentive towards recategorizing all unwanted behaviors as evil. Because by simply so doing, you begin seeing those actions in new light--and you never want perform them again.

Therefore for whatever habits you find repugnant, for whatever actions you find unwanted, start doing everything in your power to see them as evil. Thus you'll have every possible motivation towards changing those behaviors forever.

Whether that involves something simple as biting your nails or chewing your lip or slurping when you sip drinks, just try it. Try redefining that unwanted behavior as evil--and continue defining it as such until your compulsion towards performing it becomes no more.

It's a simple technique but a powerful way to remove unwanted neurological structures in your mind.

And once you see anything that moves you off an ideal path as evil, you have nothing but the rawest incentives to perform the most possible good--and perfect yourself in the shortest possible amount of time.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Evil is live spelled backwards.
We could all do well to view anything harmful to life as evil.
That is, your own life, life of other beings, and life of the earth itself.

Then, to do no evil would be to not bring harm upon creation.
Truthfully, we only harm ourselves when we destroy or hinder life. All beings want to live: to deny that of any being, that which is Creation's gift to all, is evil.
It manifests in all degrees, from my harming myself with alcohol or poor diet, for example, to entities plundering Earth recklessly for resources, to hurting people or groups of people.

Evil's opposite may be more accurately "compassion", than "good".

But the definition of evilness, I think, ought not to stop at labeling our actions.
Thought is the root of all actions, so to commit harmful thoughts even ought to be considered commission of evil.
One day, we must realize that beyond being responsible for our every action being "good", or compassionate, it is our responsibility to check our every thought.
Indeed, thoughts are actions, and a thought that is not compassionate, is harmful, and "evil."

edit on 17-9-2015 by ecapsretuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Trachel

I think in the opposite way because I don't like to focus on what not to do since that does not give a clear and simple definition of good; instead, I like to focus on what I should do.

People say all the time, to not do this or that because it's a sin, but with all of the condemnation, they lose focus on the good and on focusing on pure things.

If God is Love, then Love is good and a lack of Love is sin/error.

I really like these quotes:

"He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." - 1 John 4:8

"No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us." - 1 John 4:12

This is great, too. It says what to do instead of what not to do. Love everyone and give without trying to get something back from them (the meaning of "lend, hoping for nothing again"):

"But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful." - Luke 6:35-36

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

That reality is that without evil we would not know certain emotions that are paramount to the evolutionary process of our soul. Obstacles are not evil unless they are perpetrated with the sole intent to harm and even those obstacles are some times necessary however evil they may be.

Perfection is not the goal, being perfect is impossible. Even the brightest light has imperfections, just ask your higher power.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   

sounds like artifitial mind programming

there is a line in a song I love

there is no freedom without a cage

for me it applies here to
there is no good without evil so overall it is neutral to the nature of things

it all depends on your believe system and opinion what you label good and evil
it might be the best thing that has ever happens to you

kind of like change is a driving force to evolution
so redifing path would be staying in the same state of development I or you or some thinks is the best for you
how can anyone have confidence in saying that it is almost like saying I know what is good for you

but don't get me wrong you are awesome

bottom line is self transendence : wanting others to achieve that state
is human perfection on all levels and it does redifine evil

I am just mental noting for myself here

edit on 18-9-2015 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

I just read what you said

my reply is a repeat oops lol

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Meh.... I am not convinced.

Because so much of the things I've done in my life that I learned the most from, that truly aided me to advance in life, in my comprehension of self and other... were "mistakes". Things I would have judged harshly as wrong to do, or things that led me away from my conscious goals or intents.

This logic suggests that I always know what is best for me and what will aid me to attain my "ideal" state of being.
Not being ideal or perfect, I think I am very capable of being misguided on that issue. Sometimes the ideal path turn out to not be the one I had assumed it would be!

Though, I do think this is the base of the whole concept of good and evil judgement. Even when a group or community has a shared ethical system, that is put together in regards to what their common goals are. Some feel better relying upon a "tried and tested" ethical system, rather than create their own, and that might have some validity.

But even then, like I said, I think it is infallible and limited either way. I think the word "evil" carries too strong a meaning in our language.
It feels a little better to use the word "wrong", with the conception that it is simply my own personal opinion at this time, based upon my limited knowledge and intents- not applicable to anyone else, and possibly subject to change as I gain awareness or change intents.
edit on 18-9-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I appreciate wholly you're wanting to understand and prevent evil. However, I have found, imho, that the more we try to define and fight evil, the more RISK we run in becoming what we seek to rail against and prevent. It's a true risk in taking this on.

For instance, you speak of what one eats…..rather innocuous, imho, and working out or not, also the same. In other words, this line of thought or continuum, can be taken to extremes quite easily, which would define most just striving to survive, still while being kind and respecting other life, as evil, in other actions necessary at certain times to our survival, given our particular circumstances.

It's very complicated, I find, this search to define what evil is. As someone already noted, evil, backwards is "live."
That may say it all, in a nutshell.

Hence, I try to refine my definition of evil to be those who act to prevent the happiness and contentment of others, or who purposefully seek to deliver pain to another for their own pleasure, and nothing else……and nothing more.

This, I find, most suits my definition of evil: a conscious act of causing another pain, or preventing their ability to be happy, contect, satisfied…..though the exception to this would be: If you must make another miserable to be happy yourself, you likely should be thwarted in that regard and endeavor.

This, alone, highlights, how dicey identifying evil can become…
Regards,
tetra

P.S. May you never encounter it in its most nascent form, as it is a soul killing experience, that even to fight it, tends to drag you into it, rather than towards destroying and escaping it….even in its simple consideration of definition.

BTW: I tried to flag your thread, but have spastic typing pattern at the moment, and ended up in a fail, somehow. But I don't mean that at all. There. Reasserted my flag on your thread.
edit on 18-9-2015 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-9-2015 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. That is true in one sense or another everywhere in the Universe. Our Universe was created by a paradoxical event, and its very existence depends on maintaining that state of flux; that endless tug-of-war. In order to eradicate every speck of what we consider to be "evil" from our world we would have to set clear, binding limits on what is actually classified as evil versus "bad", or we would be forced to end up violating our own tenets and morals to subvert and overpower others in pursuit of that goal, which by definition would then make us "evil" as well. There would be nothing left to act as a counterweight, and the "good" would eventually consume itself and that would be the end for everybody.

I think we (society) need to redefine our tolerance scale for what we consider to be truly evil, do the same thing for what we consider to be exceptionally good, and go from there. I'm over-simplifying, of course, because it is late and I am tired, but my theory is pretty straightforward and concise and doesn't really need any frills.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trachel
Unto many, the concept of evil is a very clearcut paradigm.

Unto most, evil is anything described as morally impure.

Thus rape, theft, murder, torture--these things are widely classified as evil, because these things we can agree that none should do.

But the definition of evil should really be a lot broader, because evil is, by its very nature, the antithesis of good. And the highest possible good is perfection of the self in all possible ways....

All 'good' and all 'evil' exist in the (vain judgmental) thoughts/imagination/ego of the beholder!

"We don't see the world as it is, we see it as we are!"

"Perhaps it is the curvature of space that, like a funhouse mirror distorting our own reflection, we imagine strangers." - Mythopoeicon

It is a very 'subjective' thing, unique to the vanity of the 'individual', arbitrary, and cannot be clearly codified and defined.
The same need to validate the vanity becomes obvious in those ignorantly and desperately attempting to say that 'morality', the insanity and vanity of judgment is somehow 'objective', thus relieving the 'individual' of his burden of insanity and sin.

To sum; when you see 'evil', it is in you, and nowhere else!
Though the world looks red when you are bleeding from the eyes, doesn't make it so.
Beware appearances.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Very good thread evil is what turns people on each other and is the opposite of wish fufillment.

Ever had something good you wanted but just couldnt have it. . . . . I dare to say it could be evil that blocks progress and wish fufilment.

top topics

join