It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6,000 retail stores closing

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

imagine what people will do to each other to get a job. People will be willing to take less pay just to get a job. Eventually people will be willing to accept minimum wage, and even less off the books, just to be able to work.

Sidenote: I don't really have to use to much imagination as I saw it first hand, having come from a foreign communist/dictatorship country.

My parents risked their lives and our lives to give us a better life than what he had when we left. The brainwashed masses who were told anyone wanting to leave their country was a traitor, despite not being able to feed their children or having jobs.

Well eventually it gets to a point when you can't feed your children that you do what you have to do to feed them. My parents saw no future for us there and couldn't stand the fact that the gov't could take us at moments notice to some farming camp to not be seen again. That happened to some friends and family. I remember we had to hide our uncles when the military would come by and knock on the doors.

You also see this with the illegal immigrants that risk jail and even death to get here. That survival instinct and parental drive is no joke when it comes to sorting out priorities.
edit on 18930America/ChicagoThu, 17 Sep 2015 23:18:14 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Nearly 1/3 of the "6,000" stores closing is from radio shack.

With the outrageous prices that Radio Shack has had, it was not a surprise when they made their announcement a while ago. Just surprised they're still holding on...

Radio Shack was a cool store to walk around, look at the electronic's and talk to the sales people. Seems to me to make more sense that if they can do both online and actual retail stores, they would have been better off. For some reason certain retailers cannot transition to online retail and you would think that radio shack would have been a natural for that, so blame that on the management.

I got burned a few times on internet purchases like shirts too small or getting junk that looks good in a photograph.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Nothing is "sustainable" forever. Look at Sears. They used to be damn near an American icon in retail and now they're tanking. Hard. And have been for years.

So no, nothing is sustainable forever. Economics change. Companies can either change with it and keep the run going, or they can not change and die off. Providing jobs to people for the sake of providing jobs to people instead of expecting a return on your investment in them is typically a good way to speed up the death of a company.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Maybe the stores are closing because so much of the stuff in them is made overseas and people with out jobs in this country are cutting way back on their spending. I'll bet a lot of those stores that closed gave their employees as little pay and benefits as possible to keep the bottom line and CEOs well taken care of. Let them keep closing down until manufacturing jobs and fair wages return to this country.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Here in San Diego, Qualcomm will be laying off a little over 1300 people which is about 15% of its employed with a possibility of 2000 to 4000 world wide. Qualcomm layoff

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
a reply to: Bicent76

We were once the worlds breadbasket. I hate the idea of becoming the worlds warehouse.

We still are. We have a large agricultural and manufacturing base. Not sure why people try to pass it off as if this is entirely gone.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The malls are dead mostly from crime either inside or out. our mall has it's 3rd new owner in 10 years and it's only 35% of capacity. You go there and it's just trouble makers running full speed from one end to the other till they catch someone off guard and get their purse or wallet. I went with the wife to get her ring cleaned and the jewelry stores gate was only open a couple of feet so they couldn't get rushed and robbed AGAIN!!

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

along with the 6,000 retail outlets getting closed dow, just a single high-tech company is announcing that 30,000 are getting pink slips forthwith.... Intel is reorganizing and seems to be dropping PCs/desktops as a product line...

will either factor be evident in the BLS monthly report heck NO....unemployment will continue on its way to under 4% job creation will continue to boom, wages will be touted to go up (but just for the upper executives not the actual producers of services or goods-- their wages will continue to contract as illegals replace citizens in payrolls

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join