It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Castration cult in Orthodoxy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   
One of the severest directions of Christianity ever was Russian Скопцы - Skoptzy or Skopcy - actually voluntary eunuchs.
In 21th century when a lot of men pursue male enhancement, the very idea of self-castration seems incredible. But the matter was radically different in 18th. The followers of Kondratiy Selivanov , who lived at the turn of XVIII and XIX centuries, believed that salvation could be achieved only through voluntary castration - оскопление - oskoplenie. They practiced two types of castration: Small seal- for men it meant cutting off the testicles, which were considered as top evil, for women - scorching of the nipples or cutting the extreme part of breast; Czar or the great seal - men were to cut off the testicles and virile member as well. Women had to excise labia major (often also labia minor) and clitoris.
There is a smart hypothesis that an inconceivable idea of removal the testicles was a result of compulsory introduction of potato cultivation by Russian authorities. Thus potato tubers due to irrational logic were considered by some branches of Orthodoxy to be the devil's eggs or even forbidden fruit itself.
Also the Skoptzys believed that after Adam and Eve had eaten forbidden fruit, it shaped their breast and testicles. They declared the female beauty as the chief evil, physical act of love between man and women being considered as apostasy.
In the XIX century, the number of scoptzy amounted to tens of thousands of followers. Ironically as if in derision of the idea of libido advanced by Dr. Freud they occupied a fairly high position in XIX century Russian society as wealthy industrialists and merchants - They were famous as developers of the diamond mines in Yakutia Trade of hemp and flax was the Skoptzys' monopoly as well.
But later the lack of birth rate and the oppression of the Soviet regime led to reducing their number to a few dozen people who still have been living in remote locations of the Caucasus
edit on 17-9-2015 by Boticelli because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Boticelli

WTH ?!?! I mean, really, WTH did I just read? I am not sure whether to ROFL or SMH.

originally posted by: Boticelli
But later the lack of birth rate .... led to reducing their number to a few dozen people
No surprise there.
edit on 17/9/15 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

Lately I have been getting interested in Eastern Orthodox history a bit, the revivals, reformations, heresies etc. I hadnt come across this one yet. Eye opening - or eye watering if you think about it a bit too much. Years ago I actually wondered if it would be better to be castrated rather than be slave to our sexual apetites, especially as a younger man. I wondered if it would make a better world. I wasn;t seriously thinking of doing it or anything, just hypothetically thinking. But then I was told that castrated men have other psychological problems.
edit on 17/9/15 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cinrad

. Years ago I actually wondered if it would be better to be castrated rather than be slave to our sexual apetites, especially as a younger man. I wondered if it would make a better world. I wasn;t seriously thinking of doing it or anything, just hypothetically thinking. But then I was told that castrated men have other psychological problems.

Pierre Abélard, a famous French poet, after being castrated by the relative of his sweetheart Eloisa, stopped writing poetry - actually couldn't - and turned into an average monk. So I don't approve this strategy

(post by Boticelli removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

people are products of their environment for most part and do know the difference between right/wrong early on and cults like that show what happens under extreme conditions/training brainwashing

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: blacktie

people are products of their environment for most part and do know the difference between right/wrong early on and cults like that show what happens under extreme conditions/training brainwashing

Well, environment of Russia was awful in 18- 19th - the majority of the population were serfs. Persistent church reforms and deterioration of the quality of life busted up the brain of people and pushed them on these inconceivable ideas

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
In Zachariah or Leviticus the Bible teaches that man who has had his testicles crushed or his male parts removed cannot be welcomed into the sight of God.

I Always joke that it'll be funny if we get to the pearly gates and they say you don't have your appendix or where are your wisdom teeth?!? And all along we thought they meant nothing we don't need them anymore.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown
Perhaps I can get by without my wisdom teeth, but I am sure I want to keep my junk intact and functional.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
a reply to: wastedown
Perhaps I can get by without my wisdom teeth, but I am sure I want to keep my junk intact and functional.

"Ignorance is bliss."

new topics

top topics

join