It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can Christians be Patriotic?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: PeachesNCream
Since your quoting the bible read Romans 13. Im on my phone so its hard to post the whole verse here but it's essentially telling Christians to respect authority.

Yes but respecting authority and obeying the law is diffrent from insane flag waveing patriotic bull#.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: onthedownlow

Now you're just splitting hairs. Patriotism comes with a sense of pride for ones country, the same goes for nationalism. Patriotism is love for ones country, that's the definition, you can't just go changing definitions to fit your presuppositions.

In all fairness, you can not pick and choose the definition of patriotism... it has multiple meanings. I am the only one who can define what patriotism means to me. Patriotism is not pride for my country, it is duty bound by honor. I honor my family and my maker in the same way, perhaps you might call it love, but you still can't tell me what love means to me.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

*sigh*

If I don't stand up for my country, I risk winding up in a place like the ME where I then run the risk of being beheaded for my faith.

Of course, if no one tries to preserve society with its freedoms as it is, you would risk the same happening to you. Christian or not, the ME would still take a dim view of your particular brand of theology.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: PeachesNCream
Since your quoting the bible read Romans 13. Im on my phone so its hard to post the whole verse here but it's essentially telling Christians to respect authority.

Yes but respecting authority and obeying the law is diffrent from insane flag waveing patriotic bull#.

You confuse patriotism with jingoism.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1 Yes I did know, and know again.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Perhaps because they think it's a Christian Nation? Founded on Christianity?

They're patriotic to a big Egyptian Pyramid on an American dollar bill.

Just assuming here ...

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Since when do any religious people actually follow the teachings of their supreme being and the associated books.

I have NEVER met a single one - they all cherry pick bits and pieces to suit themselves using all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify this position.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
If you look too deeply into simple things, the clutter that emerges distorts the truth.
One of the biggest problems in this world.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Christians can be patriots for their countries or indeed for all of mankind through good works goodwill in servitude of God for his Glory...

And they can accomplish this be not being worldly at all...

quite the contrary the abhorrence of evil or fear of God...
Doing the will of God is how Christians can be extreme patriots...

you see as a Christian your loyalty should be to God before any other including yourself...

edit on 18-9-2015 by 5StarOracle because: ...

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Actually you are correct when you let patriotism overtake the core tenets of bible principles it turns out badly every time, look what happened to German Christians in the 30's and 40's.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Patriostism is about honor and love for your countrymen.Not left and right bickering and fighting constantly.

Do yourself a favor turn off the insanity the media has become with the left and right slobberfest that are becoming a joke. None of them are journalist anymore.Even Anderson Cooper is not doing His job anymore.Guy is suppose to be a journalist.

You can also be a good patriot towards mankind in the world to help people.
edit on 18-9-2015 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

I will also say this,Reailty is going to sink in with the muslim faith.Islamic governments all want to destroy Israel and capture Jerusalem for their Capital of the world.There are some peaceful muslim though.
So make sure patriotism is in the right place.
edit on 18-9-2015 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

You may want to look at the pledge of allegiance. However, people who joined were misled instead to serve corporate agenda and not of the nation, which was supposed to be under God.

It is easy to recruit people under religious beliefs. The crusades did something similar.

What you say however is true. If you go by scripture.
edit on th2015000000Fridayth000000Fri, 18 Sep 2015 15:46:53 -0500fAmerica/ChicagoFri, 18 Sep 2015 15:46:53 -0500 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

There are "real" Christians...and then there are those who call themselves Christians, so they can do bad things to embarrass and damage the Christian faith, not to mention the Christians then get the blame for what those liars do.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: IlluminatiTechnician

There are "real" Christians...and then there are those who call themselves Christians, so they can do bad things to embarrass and damage the Christian faith, not to mention the Christians then get the blame for what those liars do.

But who are you (not referring to you in particular) to determine if someone is a "real" Christian or a "fake" Christian?

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
"Tell us, then, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?"
18 But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, "Why put me to the test, you hypocrites?
19 Show me the coin for the tax." And they brought him a denarius.
20 And Jesus said to them, "Whose likeness and inscription is this?"
21 They said, "Caesar's." Then he said to them, "Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."
(Mat 22:17-21 ESV)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join