It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious fantasy western- a new Genre ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Greywolf13A

This guy just can't seem to retire from that line of work...

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Pretty much describing Steven King's The Dark Tower

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

These books kind of take place at a time where Mythology was starting to be displaced by scientific knowledge. Rumor and superstition still abound, but were gradually being replaced with fact. Still, things could seem dark to the uneducated...
Enter James William Booth, a half Elf Cavalry Scout with a grade 10 curiosity and a talent for solving problems...one way or another.
Like · Reply · Just now

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

NOT a King fan..

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

You ever played the jrpg series Wild Arms?

Wild Arms takes place in the world of Filgaia ("Fargaia" in the original Japanese version), a fantasy world modeled closely after the American Old West and Medieval Europe.[9] The Wild West motif is present throughout the entirety of the game, and though several different landforms and climates exist across the entirety of the world, vast deserts, wide gorges, canyons, and sparse grasslands make up the majority of the landscape. A number of towns and villages exist, some containing old-world European architecture and castles, while others resemble early American frontier towns and trade posts. Technology at the time of the game is set around the early Industrial Revolution, with advancements such as motors first coming into use. A recurring theme throughout the game is destructive technology such as guns and firearms being seen as dangerous and therefore forbidden technology that is feared by the general populace. Since most of the world's most advanced technology existed centuries before the start of the game, archaeologists and engineers are essentially one and the same; rediscovering old technology as they find new applications for it.

edit on 17-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Have you heard of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. The first three books were more straight up fantasy with a unique magic system. But the next book in the series, The Alloy of Law is somewhat like you describe. He moves the timeline up of his fantasy world by 300 years. To a somewhat wild west pre turn of the century time period. It is a really good book.

It made me become a fan of fantasy genre stories taking place in time periods other than medieval or modern. Your traveler series being like that is what made me buy your book. Which I can not wait to read. Its next up on my list. Currently reading the new Star Wars book, Aftermath.

edit on 17-9-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No...but now I want a copy...

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Humm...seems like we'd fitin right about book 4, from what you describe. No I haven't seen these, but I am piling up a dream list off some of the suggestions I'm getting here.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

Sorta. Boot's trying to find his parents killers, but after25 years, the trail is cold. Clues pop up in between jobs...like getting the latest bounty off his head..
With a lever action crossbow and a wolf friend at his side, he goes huntin' fer trouble..

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Traveler Series

When his Elven mother and Human father were murdered, apparently by a band of rogue Dwarves, the young James William Booth set out to even the score and bring the surviving bandits to justice. During his travels, however, he began to have his doubts of what he saw, bringing him to re-evaluate his thoughts.
Now middle age, he is returning home to spend some time quietly seeking information…
AND dodging a price on his head from his last job…
AND a local magistrate, with warrants for his arrest…
On top of all this, he has word the Girl he was supposed to protect is being held in a nearby castle,
and the opportunity for redemption beckons seductively.

Realizing it might take a while to sort things out, he was going to need a source of income while he hid for a bit. Naturally, he turned back to his old love…
Horses.
Now back on the trail, he has little idea just how far off his reasoning had been…

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

With a wolf friend at his side, and a lever action crossbow in hand, J-Dub has returned home..looking for peace and quiet, but finding one job after another...some days an Honest Assassin just ain't got time for a cup of coffee..
edit on 17/9/15 by Greywolf13A because: typos.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The roughest part of the first book is taking the time to develop characters. This Crew, though, now that the beginnings are laid, slow as it was, oughtta roll faster in the next pair.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
..And the Spencer crossbow in book 3 is going to be a nasty surprise..

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   

For those who insist in drawing comparisons to another creator, knock stephen King off your list and try Roy Huggins.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
My opinion was the Dark Tower series was after the downfall of modern civilization with some fantasy elements. Yours is quite a different genre than what Stephen King built.

It somewhat reminds me of Warhammer Online. A video a game which has the three races, and a somewhat post-medieval fantasy feel to it.

Anyways, my two cents.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: saabster5

red a few of the books there which I liked, Straight silver and His last command, Gaunt's Ghosts series.
Not quite that far along, but similar traits.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Book #2: shadows, in progress. :

Booth and Dimirti get driven crazy by Amanda's escape attempts,
and Sarah's wedding plans,
meanwhile Roy, and his work crew , start a rescue that drags them all into a minor war...
Booth designs a new crossbow with the castles Weapons master and resident magician..
as Wiseman plans to take over the ranch..

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Interesting series you working on pahdnah. At one time i had a similiar vision but i was borrowing a bit from the good the bad and the ugly. Toss in ALucard as the lone drifter and you can see where that was going lol.

I have a idea for ya. Introduce enchanted guns. A talking colt 45 would be hilarious. MOdeled after dirty harry of course. Did i fire 6 shots or five shots out my barrel? lol. If you made it into a comic series ya could make the Guns the star like in Gunsmith cats.

Or I am totally wrong and you are not the creator o fthis series. Travelers series?

Oh and best assasin ever. Artemis Entreri. Entreri is depicted as a ruthless assassin and the arch-enemy of Drizzt Do'Urden, the protagonistic dark elf. From The Legend of Drizzt series.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join