It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Taiwan opens tallest building

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
After six long year of construction, Taiwan has finally unvailed the tallest building in the world. The skyscraper reaches 508 meters in to the clouds and has already resisted several earthquakes. It is situated in Taipei, has 101 floors and eventually is expected to house an estimated 12,000 people working in the offices there.

news.yahoo.com

"Taipei 101 has been through the challenges of the September 21 and March 31 quakes," said President Chen Shui-bian at the opening ceremony.

"The glory and success of Taipei didn't belong to one single mayor but all of the citizens," he added.

Chen oversaw the start of Taiwan's largest engineering project when he was mayor of Taipei in 1998.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I saw a program about skyscrapers and saw the early preporations of this being built. I had no idea it would be finished by the end of 2004. It's quite ironic that Japan, U.S.A, France, United Kingdom and other giant economic countries no longer hold the record for having the tallest building in the world. The record now belongs to a simple country, who have been devasted by a tsunami, with unimaginable after-effects. The skyscraper shows the hope that the new world icon can give out in this time of tradgedy, at the start of a new year.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Congrats to Taiwan
I wonder if the Chinese have any thing in mind for this tower. Anyhow don't count on this being the worlds tallest for long. Every city wants to have the tallest building, and I've heard Donald Trump plans on building something in Chicago, some say it may be the worlds tallest skyscraper

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
true, there's always going to be a race for the tallest building. ive seen plans that are probably of impossible buildings, but they want to build them around 1000 meters tall, they would house something along the lines of 50,000 people. that could be the future in many cities, the higher you build them more you can cram in to a small space lol

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
The record now belongs to a simple country, who have been devasted by a tsunami, with unimaginable after-effects.

When was Taiwan hit? I don't remember that at all... can you give me a link to help me?

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Check out this link to a new buildin to be built in Dubai - 2,640 feet tall. That's one-half a mile.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That whole thread is very interesting from an architectural standpoint. It has links to pictures of Palm Island and an underwater hotel, among others.

top topics

join