It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I do what I want! ...and there is nothing you can do about it!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I've known about diplomatic immunity and until now, I've never really seen evidence of it being such a bad thing. I never thought it was fair and just but now I'm dead set on it being a really bad idea. I'm sure there are cases that go far beyond this incident but at the same time, it brings to thought that even though this could be a tip of some potential iceberg, who's to say worse isn't happening and easily swept under the rug in the name of diplomatic immunity?

This is wrong on so many levels and it has to change!

Dramatic Video Captures Alleged Street Race In Quiet Beverly Hills Neighborhood

A dangerous incident involving an alleged street race in Beverly Hills was caught on video, but police say they may not be able to take action.

Witnesses recorded the Saturday afternoon incident, which broke out on quiet residential streets, and involved a yellow Ferrari and white Porsche.

Residents say it was then that they were in disbelief as they witnessed the two vehicles driving at speeds they say reached 100 mph down Walden Drive, blowing through intersections, and nearly hitting cars.

Police say the men are from Qatar and may have diplomatic immunity, meaning they cannot be arrested in the U.S. because of an agreement between the two countries.

Just think... People could look at this and say "It's no big deal. It's just a street race". What if they did cause a fatality? It would then be a much bigger issue and people would be p'o'ed. Still, as it stands, it would be a life lost, property damaged and not a damned thing anyone could or would do about it.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

've known about diplomatic immunity and until now, I've never really seen evidence of it being such a bad thing. I never thought it was fair and just but now I'm dead set on it being a really bad idea.

For decades Hollywood has immortalized in film and television as a 'get out of jail' free card.

And diplomatic immunity is exactly that.

Foreign dignitaries, their relatives can pretty much do those things, and WORSE.

And will face little or no repercussions.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

You're right. I think the first movie I saw that made me aware of such a thing was Lethal Weapon. For a long time I thought it was just movie madness and not a real thing. Apparently... it is. I just wanna know who the bright guy was that made up this rule/law or the lack there of.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

It's a creation of politics believe it or not.

As we can't upset 'diplomatic' relations.

It is nonsense though, and shouldn't exist.

IF someone screws up they should pay the price like everyone else does.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Sounds like a problem you solve without cops to me. The kind of thing where the problem just goes away and nobody sees anything or knows what happened.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
Sounds like a problem you solve without cops to me. The kind of thing where the problem just goes away and nobody sees anything or knows what happened.

Haha, I was about to say the same thing. Let these guys roll through my neighborhood like that. Gonna have a lot of parents really upset and possibly some street justice.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This kind of thing happens every day in the U.S.

But you single this one out because it's in Beverly Hills? How absolutely trivial. If you put up all the teens and guys racing cars through neighborhoods you will stay very busy wasting your time.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

But you single this one out because it's in Beverly Hills? How absolutely trivial. If you put up all the teens and guys racing cars through neighborhoods you will stay very busy wasting your time.

It's not the location that matters. It's the fact that they are allowed to break any law they want, even kill someone or a child and get away with it because of politics. That's BS. Nobody should be allowed to be above the law. If that is allowed then there is no law nor is there justice.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

No, its singled out because its on video, and the "dignitary" is yelling expletives about the country while doing it.

Feel free to get more incidents on video for us to discuss.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Singled out? No... It's the first instance I myself have seen where something like this has taken place. I don't even live in Cali and could care less what demographic, culture or people this represents. It's the fact that it's happening here in the US and all at the dismay and at the expense of the people who live in this country and our laws allow this to happen.

edit on 16-9-2015 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Our justice system is a complete failure.

Not much more to say about that. Given how many lives it destroys and how many times it fails to actually enforce the laws to protect those that are victims, I'm not so sure that a vigilante or town mob would actually be any worse.

These boys in this video need a good ol' fashioned ass wuppin.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Diplomatic and consular immunity have existed as a customary practice dating back to the time of the Greeks and Romans, by the laws of many countries for hundreds of years and have been formalized under international law in the modern era at the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, Vienna Convention on Consular Relations and subsequent international conventions.

Diplomatic immunity was first recognized under British law in 1708 and the US first legislated diplomatic immunity (for diplomats, their families, servants and diplomatic mission personnel) in 1790. The US laws were in effect until they were superseded in 1978 by the Diplomatic Relations Act (22 U.S.C. 254), under which diplomatic immunity is currently established.

The reasoning behind diplomatic immunity is quite sound — without it, diplomats and their families would be subject to imprisonment and other legal punishments as a political tool — and it protects our own diplomats in foreign countries.

So don't expect an end to diplomatic immunity, that would be chaos. Now, diplomatic immunity doesn't mean that there is no recourse whatsoever. What can be done is that a the State Dept can request a waiver from the diplomat's country that allows the offender to be prosecuted. If the diplomat's country refuses to issue the waiver and the crime committed is of a serious enough nature, the diplomat will be expelled.
edit on 2015-9-16 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It's a quid pro quo.

We let the foreign diplomats get away with any and everything to keep ours from being thrown in a pit with starving feral dogs for consuming a caffeinated beverage. It sucks, but the alternative wouldn't balance out in our favor.

The Guide.

Before you go all torches and pitchforks, read it. There are some abuses, but it's not as all-encompassing as you might think.

Point of interest - The US does not give up the right to protect the safety and welfare of the public. An officer of the law still has the right to stop unlawful behavior and protect him [her]self from harm.

This isn't exactly the 100% 'neener neener can't touch me' deal many think it is.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
It's true.

In the High School days, I had a Greek descendant acquaintance with diplomatic plates and immunity.

He used to get away with anything. He used to intentionally provoke the police to prove it to us, like driving by them really fast and other things. They would pull him over but always let him go.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Oh. and oh. I didn't watch the whole video. My bad.. I'm appalled too. They were running the stop sign like it didn't exist. Very spiteful, very blatant. From Qatar. It's a shame they come here and behave that way. I agree with your assessment. This needs to change..........

Plus it seems ridiculous that the State Department has to be involved with reckless driving.

edit on 9/16/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Oh. and oh. I didn't watch the whole video. My bad.. I'm appalled too. They were running the stop sign like it didn't exist. Very spiteful, very blatant. From Qatar. It's a shame they come here and behave that way. I agree with your assessment. This needs to change..........

Plus it seems ridiculous that the State Department has to be involved with reckless driving.

Don't look past the fact that they could have run over children who were playing in those same streets, riding their bikes. Let's not also overlook the fact that they told one guy "I could kill you and get away with it" while tossing a cig at him. Just common street thugs from another country. The difference is, they can get away with it while our street thugs can't. If I went to Iran and did this, or Qatar even, and said "#^@% your country", they'd probably hang me.

I say, when in a country, you obey their laws, no matter what they are, or you don't belong in that country. If you do the crime and the laws are too harsh (aside from murder or serious bodily hard) then you should pay for the crime based on your own countries laws. I mean, I wouldn't want to get the death penalty for dancing... Still, if the laws are too harsh and you can't live up to them, then you should just stay out of that country. Talk over the phone! Don't go to that country and trample all over the sanctity of that country.

edit on 16-9-2015 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
ACtually Smaller crimes diplomatic immunity does work but there si a caveat to the status. IF said holder commits a felony such as robbing a bank,person or killing someone they face legal repurcussions in this country or their home country and revocation of said immunity. If th ewitness is killed like he threatened then his Immunity dont mean jack.

If this jerk assaults you in a stand your ground state you are legally allowwed to treat them like any other criminal. They cant just beat on you and get away with it you can defend yourself and get off scott free.

Danny glovers character mertaw was correct when he said it was revoked. Self defense for a cop is easy to prove.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
a reply to: neo96

You're right. I think the first movie I saw that made me aware of such a thing was Lethal Weapon. For a long time I thought it was just movie madness and not a real thing. Apparently... it is. I just wanna know who the bright guy was that made up this rule/law or the lack there of.

It exists because what happens if a nation accuses a diplomat of spying? Then they seize the persons documents, get intelligence, and so on. It's pretty much a necessity for countries that aren't super friendly with each other. Countries that have good relations typically only have partial immunity.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Hey don't be touching our Saudi friends

They and our Zio Israeli friends are more valuable than Americans

top topics

<<   2 >>

join