It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irving 9th-grader arrested after taking homemade clock to school: 'So you tried to make a bomb?'

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Hopefully he is smart enough to know that the reason he got in trouble is because people are stupid and scared of everything and won't let this be something that pushes him to be an extremists.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The message is for everyone, and two fold. Don't be Muslim and don't mess with clock circuits.

Got it, kiddies?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans
Well that's what he gets for being named after the most legendary pedophile in history. If he was named John he would have won a science fair.
Lots of pedophiles named john. John smith comes to mind.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

"We have always had an outstanding relationship with the Muslim community," Irving Police Department chief Larry Boyd said on Wednesday. "Incidents like this present challenges. We want to learn how we can move forward and turn this into a positive".

You're right, police chief Boyd! What this has shown us is that you, the mayor, the prosecutor, the school board, the school principal and the teacher that started this are total dolts, incompetent to hold your positions, and a menace to the citizens of the area.

A real positive that could come out of this is for all of you to lose your jobs. You should be decertified. The mayor and the school board removed from office, the teacher decertified, and the prosecutor disbarred. Show us that the system works by falling on your sword.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

How in the bloody hell are we to enrich good works and encourage unique talents of the next generation

You mean people thinking for themselves!!? You know we can't have that! They may get funny ideas, like clean energy, or even world peace. Holy sh**!!!!!!!! They may even start to think they don't need governments telling them what to do!!!
Shut'em down.
Shut them down now!

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

"We have always had an outstanding relationship with the Muslim community," Irving Police Department chief Larry Boyd said on Wednesday. "Incidents like this present challenges. We want to learn how we can move forward and turn this into a positive".

You're right, police chief Boyd! What this has shown us is that you, the mayor, the prosecutor, the school board, the school principal and the teacher that started this are total dolts, incompetent to hold your positions, and a menace to the citizens of the area.

A real positive that could come out of this is for all of you to lose your jobs. You should be decertified. The mayor and the school board removed from office, the teacher decertified, and the prosecutor disbarred. Show us that the system works by falling on your sword.

Sounds like a good start. Teaching the rest of the police there not to be paranoid and incompetent morons would also be good way to go on.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
If i built a clock that looked like a bomb then i would be asking for trouble. Especially if i was a muslim. Especially after 9.11. Durrrrrrrrrr

This could have been the trial run.

Now the publicity this has garnered has given every little jihadi adolescents an idea.

That child should be in detention and i wonder why hussein obama has invited him to the whitehouse.
Best take his clock away before he meets the president.
edit on 17-9-2015 by disregard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Good God, I would be on Death Row in America if they had discovered some of the stuff I used to build as a kid.

Chlorine and Coke bombs, Dry Ice bombs, "Ninja Stars" made out of nails and tape - once a few friends and I had a diorama assignment and we added 12v light globes to it and hooked it up to a car battery charger in the library of our school where we were displaying the dioramas - the librarian came over and inquired about all the sparks she had seen from our direction - we were there having fun sparking the negative and positive leads together. She wasn't too happy about that admittedly, seeing as we were creating sparks in a room full of paper but yeah.....

Anyway, when I read about this poor boy earlier I literally choked on my coffee. With the way things have become in America, and indeed worldwide, since 9/11 it almost doesn't come as a surprise that this happened sooner or later. Lets hope this is a catalyst for change.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: disregard
If i built a clock that looked like a bomb then i would be asking for trouble. Especially if i was a muslim. Especially after 9.11. Durrrrrrrrrr

Now the publicity this has garnered has given every little jihadi adolescents an idea.

That child should be in detention and i wonder why hussein obama has invited him to the whitehouse.

I REALLY hope this is a tongue-in-cheek post, but something tells me you are being serious....

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: disregard

The above has to be some kind of parody post.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
a reply to: retiredTxn

Sorry you aren't comfortable with broad generalisations. Neither was the 14 year old kid in handcuffs.

And while I get that this isnt all Texans, this thing has gone viral, it's worldwide and it must be embarrassing.

Regardless if this story has gone viral or not, the vast majority of people in the DFW metroplex are supportive of this young man. In his attempt to impress his teachers, he was met with ignorance. It is embarrassing to the Irving schools and police, but not so much for everyone else in Texas.

I feel sorry for the kid. He should never have had to go through this, but to paint with such a broad brush is the reason this whole country stays divided. Blame those who acted so foolishly, not everyone else who happens to live in the same state. Enjoy your fun.

I notice more and more on ATS, posters do not include their locations. Is it embarrassing to put that info on the mini profile, or just easier to avoid criticism when mocking others who are proud of where they are from?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Did you read my post immediately above yours?

Nope. I don't think you did

Not suprised though 😉

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

Me? I live in the UK. In Yorkshire. Not that it's relevant as this happened in your country, in your state.

Had it happened here, I'd be just as critical, (and hideously embarrassed). I'd be calling for the police, school, mayor and (in your case) governor to be investigated for being incompetent.

But it didn't happen here, and the eyes of the world are on Texas right now.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
When I heard about this I was beyond sad. Still am.

This is what happens when a country lets certain media outlets control and manipulate them with fear.

When fear and ignorance are valued more than science and reason in a technological country then that country's edge in science and technology is sure to evaporate.

I am glad I didn't have a Muslim name. I had a 7th grade science fair project which involved powering a series of fans with potatoes. The fans then blew air to turn other fans opposite of them like windmills, these turned small generators which lit light bulbs. Lots of wires and scary looking circuit boards.

If I had a muslim name and wore a head scarf who knows what nonsense someone might have thought?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Ha!

I used to make homemade fireworks and play with all sorts of nasties in my "homemade" chemical kit . Most of which my chemistry teacher taught me how to do.

Used to enjoy my chemistry.

Now days they wont even let the kids do the practicals in some schools

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
"Science-in' in Texas while Brown? That's a hangin' offence, boy"

I feel sorry for all the intelligent, thoughtful and embarrassed Texans today.

Maybe, just maybe, letting these people write the textbooks for the nation isn't a great idea.

How Texas influences all text books in the nation

How Texas determines what is in your textbooks
edit on 17-9-2015 by Leonidas because: fixed link

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

You should really take the time to put it in context. This wasn't a potato clock. He brought it a ticking suitcase. Have you seen what the inside of it looked like? It totally looked like a bomb. It's not like there was a science fair this particular day either. The school was right to act the way they did. They called the police. The police saw it as a hoax bomb and acted appropriately as well. We know absolutely nothing else, so anything other than how the school reacted and how the police acted is complete speculation. It's not like the kid was tried and sentenced to 20 years. Geesh.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: neveroddoreven99

O nooooooo something looks like a bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget the cops send homeland security in full force!!!!!! How dare a child and a brown one at that DARE do science without a reason!!!!!!!

Land of the free?

Pffft

Land of the ignorant and scared!

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: neveroddoreven99

You really aren't helping yourself. You should quit while you are behind, seriously.

This is a case of science illiteracy, poor teaching qualifications and racism.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: neveroddoreven99
a reply to: Vasa Croe

You should really take the time to put it in context. This wasn't a potato clock. He brought it a ticking suitcase. Have you seen what the inside of it looked like? It totally looked like a bomb. It's not like there was a science fair this particular day either. The school was right to act the way they did. They called the police. The police saw it as a hoax bomb and acted appropriately as well. We know absolutely nothing else, so anything other than how the school reacted and how the police acted is complete speculation. It's not like the kid was tried and sentenced to 20 years. Geesh.

A few facts here. He brought it in a pencilcase, not a suitcase. Totally different sized objects. Secondly, it did not 'tick'. There was nothing in it TO 'tick'. It's an electronic clock. It beeped, presumably to indicate that it was the top of the hour or something. You know, that being the purpose of a clock. Finally and most importantly, if it looked like a bomb, what was it supposed to detonate? Thin air? No explosives were attached. There was no room. It was a pencilcase.

The teacher saw something that she didn't understand and was a moron. The police racially profiled someone and then made themselves look like the paranoid idiots that they in fact are.

There. Facts. Or as you put it, 'context'.
edit on 17-9-2015 by AngryCymraeg because: Typo

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join