It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irving 9th-grader arrested after taking homemade clock to school: 'So you tried to make a bomb?'

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
A simple little Arduino can be made to control most anything.
Are we going to arrest the entire micro-controller hobbyist population?
This is just stupidity.

When I was a kid, I made a remote timer by putting a stripped wire on each jaw of a spring loaded clothespin, and put a little piece of ice in between it. I guess today, you could be arrested for that?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
A very different way of looking at this situation that I ran across on FB

I truly didn't think of that until I read this.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
a reply to: JadeStar

So.... you are taking my words out of context? The point being, the kid didn't use radio shack parts on his project.... as the previous poster said I should fear Radio Shack lol.....

Because the parts from this "Radio Shack" would have said "Radio Shack" on them ?!?!?

LMAO at first I thought you were joking.

Electronic parts all look the same regardless of where they are bought.

Jadestar have you ever heard of a suitcase bomb....

Have you ever SEEN a REAL "suitcase bomb"? Here's a hint. THEY DON'T fit into a suitcase.

The amount of people I see justifying ridiculously racist reactions on this site is depressing.

Depressing enough to drive me from ATS permanently. Keep on embracing ignorance.
edit on 17-9-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley
This is an image of the actual device.

Fox News

Not much to it really. The kid said he threw it together in about 20 minutes.

-dex

Yeah, i dont know where the op got his pic from. I think the picture he was looking at accounts for his excitement. Seems like the kid just randomly brought this contraption to school. What could ever possibly go wrong there? *that was sarcasm*

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Florida Girl Arrested Under Similar Circumstances as Ahmed Mohamed Has Advice for Teen

"When I read the story about Ahmed...I said 'Oh my gosh, how could this happen again?'" Kiera Wilmot of Lakeland, Florida told ABC News today. "[In my case] sometimes I think it was racial profiling and sometimes I think it was just ignorance."

Wilmot, now 19, said that in April 2013 she brought a science project to school in Bartow, Florida -- a makeshift volcano that she was very excited to show her teacher.

"He said he needed to approve it first, so I brought it in thinking he literally needed to see it in person," she said.

She said the project was "more advanced" than a "baking soda and vinegar volcano" and her classmates asked to see how it worked.

Wilmot said she activated the volcano outside the cafeteria of Bartow High School that morning, when the lid popped off and the bottom of the device began to smoke. No students were hurt and no school property was damaged.

Soon after, the then 16-year-old was approached by the dean of students.

"He said 'What's going on?'" Wilmot recalled. I said 'Oh, I was just showing my science project to my friends."

Wilmot said when her science teacher was approached by a school official, he said there were no science experiments assigned to his class that week.

Wilmot was then brought to the juvenile detention center where she was arrested on bomb charges.

"I cried as soon as they told me," she said. "As they were fingerprinting and taking mugshots I said 'Oh my gosh, I'm an actual criminal. I know I didn’t do anything wrong but I felt like I had to believe I did something wrong."

I don't even need to say it. I can't say it because among what seems like a large part of the ATS community, simply pointing out racism makes one a racist. It's like some weird deflected reality.

Remind me to stay the hell away from Texas and Florida.
edit on 18-9-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Maybe a RS power supply, but who knows.... maybe he just tore up an RS alarm clock to make it look like a bomb.

Look, if you lived in RS buying parts all the time you would know most of it didn't come from RS.

Still you're taking my comment out of context.... It really doesn't matter where the parts come from..... the deal is it looks like a suitcase bomb!

Have you ever SEEN a REAL "suitcase bomb"? Here's a hint. THEY DON'T fit into a suitcase.
The amount of people I see justifying ridiculously racist reactions on this site is depressing.
Depressing enough to drive me from ATS permanently. Keep on embracing ignorance.

Are you for real?
This little terrorist is a Hero at the White House, and you should be outraged..... but instead you want leave and think it's racist because a kid built a look alike suitcase bomb?
Haha.... now that is nuts!!!

I hope you don't leave.... you do make some great posts, just not happening in this thread...

There is nothing racist here, police acted properly in arresting and questioning him as were the teachers who were justified.

You guys should be ashamed for calling Texans racist and stupid, when they did the right thing....

Some of you would fail the duck test – "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck"

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: imitator

It could be a problem if all the kids took apart their home appliances and put them in suitcases to bring to school at random.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Actually, I implore you to read the fb comment that I posted above and then tell me that they did the right thing.
It sure doesn't seem like they were really worried about a real bomb being a threat let alone a hoax.

I'm not about to speculate about motive, but the actions taken were not the actions a school takes when threatened by a possible bomb.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

Nice catch
no way they thought it was a bomb for real.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Are you for real?
This little terrorist is a Hero at the White House, and you should be outraged.....

I am outraged. At you and people who think like you.

Every muslim kid is a "little terrorist" in your mind. Every little black kid a "potential criminal", homosexuals are "potential pedophiles" and so on.... It sounds real familiar and I'm really sick of it.

Is this ATS or Stormfront? Does it even matter anymore?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

Your speculating from the sheeple on Facebook, the PC crowd.... They did do the right thing, probably realized it wasn't a bomb before the cops arrived...

The cops knew it wasn't a bomb, but this kid motive needs to be questioned, and rightly so.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   

I never said anything about muslims..... I have no problems with muslims, blacks and homosexuals.

My definition of terrorist is different from yours, mine probably being the correct one. You must think terrorist means muslims, blacks and homosexuals? That seems racist to me......... : O

Here below you can see a terrorist using a real suitcase bomb.... He looks white to me, does that make me racist to whites?

www.nydailynews.com...

edit on 18-9-2015 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

To be honest i cannot tell that's a clock . But that being said i am pretty sure i would plug it into my computer , just because it looks like it would fit .

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

I never said anything about muslims..... I have no problems with muslims, blacks and homosexuals.

My definition of terrorist is different from yours, mine probably being the correct one.

Terrorist by all definitions requires intent on the part of the person called a terrorist.

This kid did not intend to terrorize anyone.

A guy with a klan outfit does. But that's protected free speech to you probably.

Don't even try to backtrack.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Duplicate post.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

You do not know his intentions..... to most it would look like a suitcase bomb, maybe built to intimidate a teacher with fear. Mission accomplished.... That would be terrorism.

Much like the KKK wearing white to terrorize, designed to give the wearer an intimidating appearance. This clock has a intimidating appearance of a suitcase bomb.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

You do not know his intentions..... to most it would look like a suitcase bomb, maybe built to intimidate a teacher with fear. Mission accomplished.... That would be terrorism.

Much like the KKK wearing white to terrorize, designed to give the wearer an intimidating appearance. This clock has a intimidating appearance of a suitcase bomb.

(Pacepalm#3)

It was a pencilcase. There was no fear involved. No terrorism. Paranoid much???

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
This kid did not even really "create" anything except trouble for himself. I have looked at the picture and I can tell you that this is simply a clock, stripped out of it's typical plastic shell and remounted inside a pencil/supply case.

I have labeled all of the parts clearly:
AC/Mains input via line cord
AC/Mains step-down transformer
the control board and the display connected via the original ribbon cable
The switch panel to adjust time settings
the place to connect the 9v battery which is used to keep time during power failure

A lot of folks think this kid was smart, and he may be, but this is just a tinkered transplant from a curious kid. Was it a bomb or controller for a bomb, no, not likely . It does look Hollywood Bomb'ish but that's about it. In order for this to be effective at anything other than waking you up, one would have to locate the output circuitry for the alarm buzzer (it is a piezo element mounted on the control board, in this case). Take the output from the controller IC (Integrated Circuit) and drive a relay with a transistor or a solid state relay from the output pin to switch a trigger/incendiary load. None of that type of circuitry is visible here. Oh and it is missing a payload like an explosive compound, too.

So, I say kids with a clock looking to impress people and teachers during the first week or so of school.

What do you think it is, really?

Oh, and Radio Shack parts used to be identifiable, at least the IC's were stamped with the Tandy Logo and all of the part numbers for IC's started with 276- catalog locator number. I have been designing electronics forever and cut my teeth on their then readily available supply. I am very familiar with how Radio Shack used to be.

Oh, I have built many things in wooden cigar boxes and inside the aluminum cigar tubes, too. What does that make me?

edit on 18-9-2015 by evc1shop because: clarity

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Are you suggesting that dark skinned people with bags or electronics are somehow not only a threat, but are attempting to instill terror in others???

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

(Pacepalm#3)

It was a pencilcase. There was no fear involved. No terrorism. Paranoid much???

You can hit yourself in the face all day..... I used to have a crazy neighbor who did that.

Pencil-case.... suitcase.... really doesn't matter, pretty much the same.....

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join