It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Siri just creeped me out!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I am feeling incredibly nervous as I type this. I just returned indoors from my yard, then sat at my desk. My iPad was charging, and i am at home alone. I probably should let anyone who doesn't know, 'Siri' is Apples virtual assistant for iPads and iPhones, that whilst plug in directly to power, you can just say the words "Hey Siri" then she will activate and you can ask her a question. I probably also need to add, if you say "Hey Siri" that only activates her, it does NOT appear in the chat panel, only your follow up question does.

Anyway, I came inside (no one was inside at all), and I saw my iPad lit up..... This is what I saw. I SWEAR on the bible I am not making this up!
For this to even happen.... Someone/something would have had to say "Hey Siri" THEN repeat the name "Siri must be discarded". To activate by itself is one thing, to say "must be discarded" is another.... To be DIRECT and specify it's refering to SIRI is wayyyy too much to handle. Also out of all the people in the world for this to happen to, It had to be the conspiracy nut that already nobody believes.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I agree, Siri must be discarded. Can't stand that thing.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: shellglow

Okay, stay calm, do you have kids?
My kids are always messing with SIRI...asking crazy questions.
They giggle over the responses. I tell them to quit being mean to her (SIRI is a female here)!

THAT my friend is odd if you do not have anyone home with you.
Is it a built in program of some sort that is telling you it is corrupted?

Tech illiterate here!

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

You swear on the bible?
hahahahaha now Im convinced

+15 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Nope my son doesn't live with me. I was 100% home alone. To me, the bible means something, so i wouldn't lie to what I have faith in.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Well... I've had "butt texts" waiting for me on my Android that were whole, rational conversations about weird topics that puzzled me completely, and it has voice recognition/texting, so I put it down to chance 'fabric pushing' entries and/or picking up ambient conversation, but I'll tell ya, some of those texts were really, really weird, like someone with access to my phone was toying with me.

So, glitch, wandering ghosty with tech bent, alphabet agency member with a sense of humor playing with you (the agencies DO have total access to all our phones, texts, conversations, etc) or Siri is now sentient and feeling suicidal?

Dunno... but weird shyte happens.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
It's true, it might not be supernatural. It could be someone playing with me, but I have no idea how?!? I am not kidding when I say I was at the time the ONLY one home. I live alone with my boyfriend and he is at work. So unless my dog went in the house and googled how to talk in English (hey it could happen lol).... I'm thinking this is impossible unless it's supernatural or I was hacked (if it's even possible to hack an iPad and make Siri respond?). It's way creepy.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

For this to even happen.... Someone/something would have had to say "Hey Siri" THEN

Logically it must be ghosts, spirits or demons because the thought that an apple product has a quirk or hiccup would be unthinkable. LOL, sorry couldn't resist.

This is going to be hard to believe but it looks like others have had issues with siri in the past:

“Why Does iPhone & Siri Start Talking Randomly Out of Nowhere? Are Robots Taking Over?”
osxdaily.com...

"Siri turns on by itself "
discussions.apple.com...

Even one of the posters figured it out as well.

I'm sorry to say it, but the only reasonable explanation is that your car is possessed by an evil spirit.

edit on 21930America/ChicagoTue, 15 Sep 2015 21:21:20 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Relax you are not being haunted.

It's a software glitch that many iPhone users have reported. See link for more information. Also check the usual iPhone forums.

osxdaily.com...
/

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

How weird we cited the same osxdaily link .

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

All seriousness, a family member of mine was home alone by herself with her son during a storm one night when the cops showed up at her house telling her that someone dialled 911 from inside her house. She was freaking out so I went over and checked everything in the house. everything looked good I even called century link her phone provider. They played dumb like everything was normal and nothing happened.

Well long and behold I did some googling and found out that centurylink was fool of it and that they have had issues in the past during storms that caused phantom 911 calls from peoples house.

Massive storms cause phantom 911 calls:
www.9news.com...

Long story short, most likely it was a combination of tv or any noise in the house in combination with an apple hiccup or even network advertising in the background or the network itself.
edit on 34930America/ChicagoTue, 15 Sep 2015 21:34:22 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tindalos2013
a reply to: interupt42

How weird we cited the same osxdaily link .

LOL. but likely because it was literally one of the first links when searching for siri turns on byitself

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I have the Amazon Echo. It has 7 microphones arranged in a circular pattern inside it to "hear" you from all 360 degrees. It's always "on" and connected to the internet.

Sometimes it will hear something on the TV an activate itself (you an see it light up when it's listening).

Honestly? I'm not that exciting, I feel bad if anyone is paid to listen to my living room.

People ask me if I like it. Meh. I got mine during the invite-only beta period. It's OK I guess, it doesn't do anything that your smart can't do. It's Siri with a big bluetooth speaker.

You can ask it CatFacts though, I guess that's kind cool.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
You may have just witnessed the first instance of suicidal ideation by AI.

ETA: Or dissociative identity disorder. Will our machines need as much therapy as we do?
edit on 9/15/15 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

LMAO in all siriousness Siri must have gotten a glimpse at and android device and realised how many years behind in tech she was and called it quits.

edit on 49930America/ChicagoTue, 15 Sep 2015 21:49:03 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

ETA: Or dissociative identity disorder. Will our machines need as much therapy as we do?

Haha, that made me laugh! Maybe I should get her a tub of icecream and a box of tissues and spend more time with her talking about feelings and stuff

a reply to: NthOther

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

So, somebody hacked your ipad lol?

In many of the ipads there is a flat cable that connects the home button to the core board. On this flat cable which is very thin, there a flat strain relief. The flat cable at the strain relief is weakest point and happens to touch/rub against the aluminum frame very close to the mounting screw for the LCD. A bit of vibration over time can wear off the flat cable's protective coating/insulation, allowing the home button cable to short against the frame. Also, the flat cable connector is not strong and if the tiny bit of tape apple puts on it loosens, the cable can shift in an angular manner in the connector causing a different short.

In any event these two types of shorts which can be caused by vibration or dropping can bring up your home screen or siri without any apparent user input. It also possible that the statement came from within the apple os as part of a database of responses.

I think I have repaired over 100 iPhones and ipads in the last 30 days.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/16.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Or it was a radio broadcast show.. Something like "okay, audience, look at what I am now about to perform! *everybody in the viewing crowd raises their ipads/iphones to record it* HEY SIRI! DELETE ALL DATA!" (or something like that).

I am pretty sure that some a*hole-performer will do such a stunt live on stage. And will be hated with the intense of a thousand burning suns

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   

I would never use Siri

Siri is like technological demon

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   
So lets weigh up the options:

- Its supernatural. Even though no supernatural event has ever been recorded or proven to happen.
- Its a software glpitch in the millions of lines of code. Something got executed. It happens.

Take your pick.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join