It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan U.S. Underwater Anti-Submarine Network

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
www.japantoday.com...

Link

Here is a cool article about one of the many anti submarine networks run by the U.S. and her allies. Just remember its not always whats above us that can be quite interesting but also what is below...

The latest model of the sound surveillance system, or SOSUS, allows Tokyo and Washington to detect Chinese submarines traveling from the East China Sea and Yellow Sea to the Pacific, according to sources in the Defense Ministry and the MSDF.

It is the first time that the existence of a listening system solely targeting China has been revealed.

As the system is “top secret in the Japan-U.S. security system,” the MSDF explains outlines of the U.S.-developed system only to a group of key figures in the Japanese government including the prime minister and the defense minister.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: hawks

It is definitely not the first time SOSUS has been revealed, I want to say it was revealed after the fact to be the intel source for the Glomar Explorer sub salvage but, my timeline is probably mistaken.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Yes... not the first mention of SOSUS. It's a fairly old concept that has been upgraded over time. However, I was surprised that they mentioned the okinawa to taiwan link. We have acknowledged a few systems in the past such as off the atlantic coast and some straits that russia use. (I just did not see the Japan Taiwan link before). Also, if we share the intel with Japan, would they help split the cost?

I would also be curious to see what SOSUS systems we have but not acknowledged as long systems can be costly to maintain.

"According to the sources, the latest SOSUS involves two cables with extensive networks of hydrophones—one stretching from Okinawa to southern Kyushu and the other from Okinawa to off Taiwan.

MSDF and U.S. Navy personnel operate the system at the MSDF Oceanographic Observation in Okinawa, located in the U.S. Navy’s White Beach base in Uruma, Okinawa Prefecture."

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: hawks

These networks are old news and it is very spongy and full of holes

I would not be betting on these networks, they failed before

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadyAREyou

Would anyone know where there is map that has all the acknowledged U.S. SOSUS systems on it?

posted on Sep, 19 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Article is 404'd already, following the link. But I'm guessing it's the kind of stuff they do with trans-oceanic cables since the beginning of the cold war? Basically listening or submarine communication sites every so often along the lines. I'm sure some of the newer stuff is pretty amazing though, considering what can be done with computers now.

new topics

top topics

join