It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

103-year-old Georgia woman banned from her church

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
So this granny has been going to her church since she was 11 years old, almost a century. And she worked as a secretary, for 40 of those years. But that wont save you when locking horns with the Rev. Tim Mattox. Maybe she can appeal to a higher power? Seems, she don't like his flashy, rolling on the floor, hands in the air, preaching! she be old school! Check it out.

For nearly a century, 103-year-old Genora Hamm Biggs has attended the Union Grove Baptist Church in Georgia -- even working as the church's secretary for some 40 years. But Biggs -- a parishioner since she was 11 years old -- was banned last month from attending after she disagreed with the church's pastor over his preaching style, Fox affiliate WAGA-TV reported. On Sunday, law enforcement was called to the small, white church in Elberton, Ga., after Biggs decided to attend service anyway, according to the station. Police said there was nothing they could do because the matter is a civil dispute between Biggs and the church.

What happened to turn the other cheek and love thy neighbor and such? and setting a positive example for the children? It goes on..

Biggs told the station that she and the current pastor of six years, Rev. Tim Mattox, have long sparred over his preaching style, which she characterizes as a "Holiness style" that she claims doesn't belong in the Baptist church. "At one point, he had a crew in here and they were hollering and falling out in the middle of the floor," Biggs told the station. "We don't do that in the Baptist Church." Biggs said tensions came to a head in early August when Mattox sent her a letter stating she could no longer attend church there "for any reason whatsoever," the station reported.

That's a direct order of authority! hehe scrapping on the pew.. The letter:

"This letter is to inform you that according to the By-Laws of the Union Grove Baptist Church, and by vote of the active members, any membership or associations that you have had with this church are now officially revoked," read the letter, dated Aug. 2. Biggs, meanwhile, said nothing will stop her from attending the church. "This is my church, I love this church, and he cannot stop me from going," Biggs told the station.

So should she have a say so? if seniority has a say yes. But if your Rev. has anything to do with it?!?!

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
You mean she wasnt going to put up with some jack asses charade to try to guilt trip everyone in the room and make them think GOD has chosen this human whom still has to wipe it's ass as a representative and through convulsions has become imbued with the holy ghost, so that he may beg for donations instead of actually being industrious himself?

Maybe she realized she wasted almost a 100 yrs in that moment.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

hehe yah. Seems somethings never change....but than again.. Thanks!

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
How lame do of a Reverend do you have to be, to
A) Not respect your elders
B) Kick an elderly woman out of church?
C) Obviously not practice what your preaching.

For cripes sake, she is old and set in her ways. Just leave her alone and let her enjoy her church.

Pick your battles Reverend, pick your battles.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I agree. Just let her be, appease her, let her enjoy her time left! and at the same time, you can set a great example for the children today. Our leaders tomorrow!

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Someone should be along shortly to tell you the reverend is not a real Christian. Oddly enough, I hear that a lot from "real" Christians.

She is right though. The Baptists are not a charismatic denomination. They don't do the tongues and "dancing" in the spirit stuff. He needs to go preach at an "Assembly of God" church. There, he will be appreciated.
edit on 9/15/2015 by Klassified because: missed a word.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: C21H30O2I

The old gal has my back, I'd rather see her attending a local church instead of sitting at home and watching the snake oil salvation merchants like Kenneth Copeland, Joyce Meyer and the other televangelists that sell beliefs.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

You know, that is why I was surprised she didn't leave this church actually.
My hubby's grandmother was a baptist. No face cards. No playing with dice. Straight laced to the extreme. She actually threatened me, on our wedding day. But she liked me, even though I am a heathen. (Her words)

She was awesome! LOL

I miss her.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Old gals like this are the backbone of any sort of community. Be it religious or any other.

This preacher, who is one in name only apparently, is so off the mark as to beggar the imagination... I'm thinkin' he wants his own TV show, or tent revival tour. Soak the rubes.

Gals like this can instill love, or stark terror, with naught but a glance.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

That's because so many aren't real Christian. That doesn't speak to the commonality of the behavior within the social group, but just because someone claims to be something doesn't mean that is what they are. Neither does it become any more valid in proportion to participation numbers.

It'd be like suggesting because so many claim to be experts on the internet, that they actually are experts simply because its common. I mean, how many Christians emulate Christ and how many internet experts know what research is outside of Google?

Of course, our society is more focused on what people say rather than what they do, for a variety of reasons. Its all rather silly, but it maintains the status quo that has spanned civilizations.

As for the story, its usually a fools errand to clash with zealots of any stripe.

Hopefully this lady will seek God outside of some random man-made building, and is able to maintain the relationships she has built.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This is why I am no longer a member, and never will be a member of any man made organized religion.

I do not need a man or organization to have a relationship with Jesus.

The worst thing that ever happened to Christianity was man made, organized 'religion'.

It all started with Catholicism in Rome and was created as a way to control the masses. Before Constantine's fake conversion and the creation of Roman Catholicism there was no organized 'religion' of Christianity.

I admire this old woman for standing up for her convictions. I can not comment on this 'pastor' and stay within the T&C's.

I will just say that Jesus had people like him in mind when He said this.

15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Wow, way to go lady for sticking up for what she believes in.

Like to hear that she doesn't want that style of preaching, it has no place in a church.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam
Very well said

Hopefully this lady will seek God outside of some random man-made building, and is able to maintain the relationships she has built.

I pray she can do this also. It is sad, but having gone through a similar experience I think I can imagine how she feels.
This church is 'home' to her. The congregation is like family to her. She does not need them to have a relationship with Christ, however she loves sharing that relationship with people who she has come to love as family.

Every 'church' I have ever attended for any period of time has turned out to be more dysfunctional than my blood family, and that is saying something.
The past decade or so I have seen this dysfunction increase exponentially.

That's because so many aren't real Christian. That doesn't speak to the commonality of the behavior within the social group, but just because someone claims to be something doesn't mean that is what they are. Neither does it become any more valid in proportion to participation numbers.

I have to quote Jesus again.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Some people like a little dignity in their preaching. And she may be all about the fire and brimstone and still not like this guy's style. I'd be a little turned off by a charismatic myself, but then again, I'd be out of place in a Southern Baptist style worship too.

For me, I'd simply go elsewhere.

But by the time you're 103, set in your ways is putting it mildly. She likely feels like this church is as much home as her own home ... Maybe more since the odds that's she's still independent at her age are low.

Talk about kicking a little old lady.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I would have to agree with her the actions of this preacher has no place in a baptist church. This guy needs to be in a revival tent with the handling of snakes and other such nonsense he should feel right at home.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Yep. He needs to move along to a church that enjoys theatrics. "Be reverent in the churches", she's right.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
I would have to agree with her the actions of this preacher has no place in a baptist church. This guy needs to be in a revival tent with the handling of snakes and other such nonsense he should feel right at home.

To be fair, I've been in several different kinds of Baptist Churches and heard of some others. They can run the gamut from extremely exuberant praise and worship to very staid with no music.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Malcolm X would have agreed with this lady:

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

link?

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Police said there was nothing they could do because the matter is a civil dispute between Biggs and the church.

This sums up my opinion of the matter. Anything that I'D want done couldn't be implemented due to separation of church and state.

Sure this situation sucks, but we'd be violating Constitutional principles to help her.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join