It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60 Years of U2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This month (technically it was last month) Lockheed will celebrate 60 years of one of their most iconic air planes, the U2 Dragon Lady.

The U-2 program celebrates its 60th anniversary in September 2015. Since its first flight in 1955, the U-2 program has seen tremendous changes to its airframe and technology. Today's U-2S serves as the most capable, reliable and survivable ISR platform available. The U-2S has 80 percent airframe life remaining, and is operationally capable to fly beyond 2045.

www.lockheedmartin.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It could be flying for 100 years if there is a will to do so.

Spotters Guide to the U2

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
OOps! I thought it was about the band, and I was going to say it only seems like 60 years!

Anyway, it's a long time on the go, (the U2 aircraft that is) and I suppose Titanium is the least corruptible of alloyed metal in use. Long may it fly. It was certainly remarkable in 1955.
edit on 15-9-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Ive always wondered how the U-2 got the name Dragon Lady, Was there a certain reason behind that?

I`d love to fly one of those around for a few hours just sight seeing, some awesome loiter time on that but the spacesuit may make it uncomfortable after awhile. Turn the radio off at 40,000ft and finally get some true peace and quiet.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

Because of you're careful with her she's a lady. If you're not she's a stone cold bitch that turns into a dragon.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

LMAO of course! Thanks for that, I have never heard or read that before and its spot on accurate I cannot believe I couldn't figure it out myself.

top topics

join