It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sanders: America Was Founded On ‘Racist Principles. That’s A Fact.

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
How has this thread gone on so long? The denial is strong with a select crew of you. But such is representative of the denial of this country as a whole.

So, back to the topic of the OP, the reason that we need to admit the racist past of this country (and black slavery in particular) is because it's effects of it are now so deeply entrenched into every aspect of our culture. From where the money goes (and has gone), to how the police operate, how education is allocated, wages, what opinions are given merit, life expectancy, voting, crime rates, mortality (& infant mortality) rates, segregation and how it effected population distribution, the prison system, etc. etc… it couldn't be more apparent. I don't know how it gets lost on the deniers, that in a country where all men (people) are supposedly created equal, the starting line is in a very different place depending on your race & gender (and certainly wealth). I don't even know what to say to people that live in denial of this. Assuming you started a bit further ahead (especially if you have time to blow hours/days/weeks on this site), shouldn't you be happy about the genetic lottery you won? I mean it was all just by chance (unless you actually believe that god is real and plays favorites).

Understanding how we got here can only help us find a way out of this. And please, find some empathy for you fellow Americans who were born a bit further back on the starting line. For many, there are no bootstraps to pull on.

Equality was written into the foundation of this country. And yes, it was a lie then. But at least it was something to shoot for. Most countries don't have that written in as a tenant of foundation. Let's keep pressing towards that.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
He (Sanders) has zero chance of being the next president and is far too old anyway. The only two democrats we hear about right now are him and hillary. Right now hillary is having big problems with the server issue and I am really not sure who else will be running for the democrats. We see a ton of Republicans, next president will be a republican.

Last thing we need is Sanders re-living his 1960s youth and scolding everyone, the lefties we see lately are too reminiscent of the Manson family and here (on the forum) we seem to have too many Manson girl wannabees, living in the past. It is not 1969, and never will be again. We need a president that looks to the future, a real leader and above all else INTELLIGENT. I voted twice for Obama - was the first time I voted in 20 years, but he did not pan out so well or as well as I had expected. He was good at giving speeches though he never took the reigns on domestic issues.

If Biden gets in the race Sanders will fade away, my own observation is Biden is too old too. That said, people are looking at the mess in Europe and no way a cry baby like Sanders will get elected. I worry that these old guys may get senile too. Sanders comes off like a whacky old professor realizing he is not cool anymore and is now bitter, next he will be say "yeah, i smoked some weed and it was good, that was in 1969 though. I didnt care for it. I was away at college and watching one tin soldier, boy did that movie affect me..." blah, blah, blah.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Harvin

Just for the record, John McCain (79) & Ron Paul (80) are older than Bernie Sanders (74). And Biden (72) is only 2 years younger than Bernie, while Hillary (67) is 7 years younger. And Trump is 69 years old.

I don't think the most Americans care about the ages of these candidates.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Just for the record, John McCain (79) & Ron Paul (80) are older than Bernie Sanders (74). And Biden (72) is only 2 years younger than Bernie, while Hillary (67) is 7 years younger. And Trump is 69 years old.

I don't think the most Americans care about the ages of these candidates.

I know the others we seem to be talking about are old too, the other candidates are under 60 at least. Rand Paul is the one running, Ron is his father. Age should be considered, but I may end up voting for one of those mentioned anyway. Out of all of them Sanders seems to be the one whose age scares me.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   

I'm just pointing out that most of them are "old". Even Rick Perry, Ben Carson, Jeb Bush, & Carly Fiorina are 65, 63, 62 and 61, respectively (I thought Jeb was younger). I brought up Ron Paul instead of Rand because Ron was a serious candidate in 2012. If he would've won, he would've started his presidency older than Bernie currently is.

I'm not downplaying your point though. I think we need some new blood to sweep through the entire political system. I believe every generation should have a chance to lead and be led by its peers. As much as I love my parents, their priorities, backgrounds & perspectives don't match mine in the least bit.

As for the OP:
I'm sure you all know how I feel by now. Racism was the direct cause of Manifest Destiny, the 3/5 Compromise, the Indian Removal Act, the Chinese Exclusion Act, the California Genocide during the California Gold Rush, and many of the other policies which this nation was founded on. The "Fire Eaters" who provoked the States to secede & form the Confederacy were open racists, too.

Even the decisions to keep the citizens of the US Territories as American citizens without equal representation in Congress is entirely for racist reasons, as John Oliver pointed out in this clip (watch the first 4 min, at least):

edit on 16-9-2015 by enlightenedservant because: bolded 1 part. what's it to you?

edit on 16-9-2015 by enlightenedservant because: facepalm. simple mistake. leave me alone...

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: imjack
a reply to: Reallyfolks

I'm saying "Smith" was very busy that week, and "Anderson" happened to travel to Lybia, someone mentioned blowing him up, then later said it was his house blown up not him.

www.theguardian.com...

No question, America was locating his 'houses' with television.

So the entire family that you say was blown up, like his wife and kids? And I come back to dhao, after he fled Tripoli he was constantly complaining about lack of electricity and water. Seems odd that your company was able to provide information about his tv watching under those circumstances

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
A country built on the back of slave labor and almost decimating the indigenous people.

So where exactly is he wrong or am I missing something?
edit on 16-9-2015 by lucifershiningone because: Cuz I can

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: lucifershiningone
A country built on the backs of slave labor and almost decimating the indigenous people.

I know what you mean.

In the eyes of the "patriot" group the founding father were super human demi gods who were above all human weakness and reproach who shat and farted morals and virtues. The USA was born from there pure godly virtue.

To say anything else is treason!

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
All politics are hypocrites, sooner or later they drop the mask!

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Then why did the colonists in Britain's other colonies, particularly the Caribbean and Canada, not revolt the way we did?

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Sremmos80

When the phrase all men are created equal was written while people were owned how can it not be fact? I know bringing up the reality of our foundation is frowned upon it doesn't mean we shouldn't.

And the point is ?

That was the same time women didn't have the 'right' to vote.

Don't here people saying how sexist I am.

The funny part here is If i had a nickle every time I have been called 'racist' I would be a 1%' er that Sanders hates so much.

Maybe you should start to listen.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

A country built on the back of slave labor and almost decimating the indigenous people.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the nation was "built on the back of slave labor." British colonies reaped the financial benefits of slave labor, as did the colonies of other Imperialistic European nations of the time. With or without slavery, the American colonies were ripe with valuable resources and were bound to become thriving economic centers.

The Roman Empire incorporated slavery, but was not "built upon" it. Same with the American colonies. Now if you were to say that from 1760-1876 the economy of the southern states was built on the backs of slaves, that I would not refute.

History lessons aside, Bernie's comments are as irrelevant today as would be those of a Norwegian politician apologizing for viking bloodshed. The civilized world has moved well past such barbarism and frankly our financial woes are of more concern.

If you want to get upset about institutionalized barbarism, there's plenty still going on today. Juat look toward North Korea, the Mid-East...even Russia or China.
edit on 16-9-2015 by OpenMindedRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpenMindedRealist

I wouldn't go so far as to say the nation was "built on the back of slave labor." British colonies reaped the financial benefits of slave labor, as did the colonies of other Imperialistic European nations of the time. With or without slavery, the American colonies were ripe with valuable resources and were bound to become thriving economic centers.

The Roman Empire incorporated slavery, but was not "built upon" it. Same with the American colonies. Now if you were to say that from 1760-1876 the economy of the southern states was built on the backs of slaves, that I would not refute.

History lessons aside, Bernie's comments are as irrelevant today as would be those of a Norwegian politician apologizing for viking bloodshed. The civilized world has moved well past such barbarism and frankly our financial woes are of more concern.

If you want to get upset about institutionalized barbarism, there's plenty still going on today. Juat look toward North Korea, the Mid-East...even Russia or China.

I agree with you. Poor bernie is leaving out many countries who have similiar past. HEy bernie!! call out the africans who sold their own people to ENGLISH/white traders too if you are being honest!(we all know hes not so no danger of that amirite?)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

I wouldn't go so far as to say the nation was "built on the back of slave labor."

I wouldn't either.

It was created by some Dutch, and French rich folks that armed, and funded the Americans fighting the crown.

That war created debt.

This nation was created by people scratching, and clawing their way to the top. Then near a century later tore itself apart with the 'civil' war that created more debt.

Some people seem to forget that, and some people seem to forget that not everyone was a slave owner.

And they seem to forget that is was Sanders party that fought to keep slavery alive.

edit on 16-9-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Do you deny the founding fathers were just human?

Do you deny that many of the founding fatheres were slave owners?

Do you deny that black slavery was focused round the idea of white supremacy?

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Slavery wasnt about supremacy it was about cheap labor in truth.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I am saying if Sanders wants to call out racist history.

He should have started with his own party.

Jim Crow law,,Segregation,Creation of the KKK, and fought to preserve slavery, and senators like Robert Byrd.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: crazyewok

I am saying if Sanders wants to call out racist history.

He should have started with his own party.

Jim Crow law,,Segregation,Creation of the KKK, and fought to preserve slavery, and senators like Robert Byrd.

That is NOT what I asked.

Your deflecting even if you do have a point.

Do you deny the founding fathers were just human?

Do you deny that many of the founding fatheres were slave owners?

Do you deny that black slavery was focused round the idea of white supremacy?

edit on 16-9-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Rather 'odd' for Sanders to be talking about 'rascist' history and run as a 'democrat' isn't it ?

The Racist History of the Democratic Party

That is an EXCELLENT read.

Only gets better here:

Last week, Hillary spoke at a dinner named after two slave owners. The slave owners, Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson, not only owned over 760 slaves between them, but they remain the key figures in the founding mythology of the Democratic Party.

Obama recently spared Andrew Jackson, the Democratic Party’s first president, from being cut from the twenty, instead throwing Hamilton on the ten to the social justice wolves. It’s historically appropriate that the party often accused of plantation politics was founded by an actual plantation owner. The Democratic Party acts like it owns black people and its founder literally did own black people.

Let's talk about RACIST history by all means!

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join