It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UAW reaps what Obamacare sows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Looks like the UAW's support of Obama is about to come back to bite them. As par the course no matter who gets in office it seems as though the working class always gets screwed. I'm from Detroit and a former UAW member. My entire life little by little I've watched everything my grandparents fought and worked for be systematically destroyed by those at the top.

Sorry I don't know how to include a quote from the article.

Mods if this is in the wrong area feel free to move it.

Detroitnews
edit on 14-9-2015 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome
The irony......
The UAW supported this mess....

Welcome to our world

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Elections have consequences.
Enjoy

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I guess the UAW will now have to deal with the same rules that everyone else does.

My rates went up 68% at the beginning of this year and my coverage is worse then prior to the ACA. Things that were routinely covered now aren't, and get counted towards my ridiculously high deductibles.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Elections have consequences.
Enjoy

I'm told that they used to.

I'm told that that was the way the system was supposed to work.

I don't think so, anymore.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

We have only just began to see the consequences of the aca.
The full brunt will kick in after Obama leaves office and heads for a beach somewhere.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The irony is blistering

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter_kandra
I guess the UAW will now have to deal with the same rules that everyone else does.

My rates went up 68% at the beginning of this year and my coverage is worse then prior to the ACA. Things that were routinely covered now aren't, and get counted towards my ridiculously high deductibles.

Oh just stop, everyone has between $5k and $7k to pay up front for medical care per year...

I mean everyone has a $100k bring home every year, your just being greedy, pay your share!!!!

Lol dry, I couldn't do that straight faced...

Here is a beer man

Doesn't help, but at least you can get drunk and ignore your problems..

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Well I just got my letter in the mail from my insurance that they no longer will be covering for my medications if I buy them in the local pharmacy, now they want me to order them by mail.

Supposedly this for long term medications, but I don't understand why a medication that was prescribed to me for ear infection was denied by the pharmacy, never before I had problems getting my medications before and I been on medical issuance since 98 when my husband retired from the military.

I am still trying to figure out this one.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Here's the article from your link:

The United Automobile Workers are up against a Cadillac different from the kind many of its members build.

Obamacare’s impending “Cadillac tax” on gold-plated healthcare plans pits the union against the signature law it helped pass.

The UAW is now faced with the angst that the Affordable Care Act has already caused many other Americans.

The reason I quoted the whole thing is because it not only addresses Obamacare, the unions and their exemptions but wages as well.

Why don't they do what the other big unions did? Whatever, this is a conundrum for the auto union as the title suggests: "Union, automakers will be forced to restructure health benefits under ACA’s 2018 “Cadillac tax” kick-in"

edit on Tue Sep 15 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
See I don't understand this.

How is this just against the unions?

Because for the last two years, I've been in the meeting with the insurance provider. They are getting away with cutting what we can even purchase, while raising prices. Hell, two years ago, we had no deductible, and great coverage.
last year, that wasn't even available for us. We had to go with a small deductible, with an ok plan. Than at the meeting last month, we could not even buy that again. Bigger deductible, worse coverage.

We aren't unionized. We only have 13 employees.

ACA is sure helping the insurance companies get rich, that's for sure. And screw the average Joe.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I still find it difficult to believe that ANYONE is surprised that the ACA is horrible.
Was (and still am) shocked that ANYONE believed "If you like your plan, you can keep your plan. If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor." This flew in the face of common sense even well before that Gruber fella let the cat out of the bag.
I'm so sick of Kool-Aid drinkers on both sides of the aisle.

I would like to know where all the people were who were shouting about how wonderful the ACA was going to be? Their silence is deafening.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
Well I just got my letter in the mail from my insurance that they no longer will be covering for my medications if I buy them in the local pharmacy, now they want me to order them by mail.

Supposedly this for long term medications, but I don't understand why a medication that was prescribed to me for ear infection was denied by the pharmacy, never before I had problems getting my medications before and I been on medical issuance since 98 when my husband retired from the military.

While I was never a member of the UAW, I did work over 32 yrs as a union longshoreman and served as a member of the Board of Trustees of our employee benefit Trust plans for the last 10 yrs, leading up to my retirement.

We made the switch to "by-mail" pharmaceuticals well over 15yrs ago and if your plan is anything like ours, you'll soon come to love it.

For starters, what they're talking about are called "Maintenance Drugs," which are drugs that you take on a long-term basis like high blood pressure drugs, diabetes drugs, thyroid drugs, transplant anti-rejection drugs and a whole host of others. Basically, anything you're doctor prescribes in a consistent dosage for more than 3 months at a time. At least that's how my plan works.

The good news (that you'll learn to love) is that, if your plan is anything like mine, you'll get a 3 month supply for the price of one and you don't have to leave home to get them.

With respect to the OP, while I don't agree with everything in the ACA, (like including private, for-profit insurance carriers anywhere in the mix) I do believe it's a good "first step" towards achieving a truly universal healthcare system in this country, like those enjoyed by the rest of the modern industrialized world.

I'm confident that, given time, the UAW and it's employers will work their way through this obstacle and end up better for it in the long run.

Furthermore, it's important to know that cutting benefits is NOT the only way to lower healthcare cost. That may be what some would like us to believe, but it's far from being true.

Around 20 yrs ago, the union plans I worked for even created and funded our own HMO with our own preferred physicians and pharmaceutical providers list. It gave us the bargaining power to negotiate better fees for products & services and lowered costs dramatically.

That's just one thing we did that helped us and I'm confident that the UAW and it's employers will likewise, work their way through this.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

No, my insurance is for retired and active members of the military, the insurance was recently outbid by another company and now is all kind of problems with it.

The government included with the Obamacare a clause for military and retired subsidized insurance to be in effect next october.

The most problems that are happening now is that a drug that is just temporarily are getting rejected by the insurance.

If you get a prescription that you need right now, its causing problems.

I do understand the maintenance drugs deal.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

I got the same thing. Tricare is trying to get everyone over to mail order Express Scripts, supposedly cheaper.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Hopefully, someone will fix your plan pronto.

No one should be allowed to cause a delay in the delivery of needed medication that has been prescribed by your physician.

In the plan I belong to, (even with maintenance drugs) you can buy the first month's supply from your local pharmacy while waiting to get set up in the mail-in system.

There is no excuse for delaying prescribed medications, I'd be raising hell too.

Good luck

new topics

top topics

join