It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking in Western KY: A Kentucky State Trooper Shot and Killed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Just heard this on WHAS radio out of Louisville.
Here is the only local link I'm finding at present:
www.wpsdlocal6.com...

No details yet. This is it from the local tv. They are saying that the shooting occurred during a high speed chase.

LYON COUNTY, Ky. - Police in Lyon County, Kentucky are searching for the suspect who shot and killed a Kentucky State Police trooper. A source tells us the shooting happened on Interstate 24 near mile marker 50. The suspect's car was found in the median just before 11:00 Sunday night, but the gunman was not inside. Officers have shut down I-24 between mile markers 45 and 56 to search for the gunman. A description of the suspect is not available at this time. Lyon County Judge Executive Wade White issued a statement on the county's Facebook page asking everyone in the area to stay inside, lock their doors, and call police if they see anything suspicious.

May he rest in peace. My thoughts are with all.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

The last I saw of this was on another site where they said that the perp was tracked to a house via his cell phone. He kept his cell phone with him, so not a 21st century savvy murderer. I don't know if he is caught as yet.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   
My ex wife's nephew is a Kentucky State Trooper in that area and I've known him since he was 10. Jesus Christ. He's a damn good guy.
Be safe Jared.

ETA : A little more info, but not much.

www.wsmv.com...

LYON COUNTY, KY (WAVE) - A Kentucky State Police trooper was shot and killed late Sunday night, during a high-speed chase on Interstate 24.

The identity of the trooper was immediately released, but KSP said the trooper was from Post 1.

The shooting happened at about 11:30 p.m. CNN later confirmed with a Lyon County spokesperson that the trooper had died.

Troopers have closed all lanes of I-24 between the 45 and 56 mile markers while they search for a suspect who fled the scene. Other individuals are being detained.

Traffic is being routed to KY 93 between the KY 293 Eddyville-Princeton Exit 45 Interchange and the KY 193 Cadiz-Princeton Exit 56 Interchange.

The search is focused on a wooded area along I-24 extending from Eddy Creek to Bells Creek in southern Lyon County.

People who live in the area are advised to use caution because the suspect is considered armed and dangerous.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Copyright 2015 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.

Read more: www.wsmv.com...

edit on 14-9-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
I'm holding my breath too. I know a couple of the guys who sometimes work that area....I was just finishing up a batch of pasta sauce for the freezer when I heard the news on a radio break.
Don't know if it is related but there was also a shooting in the closest city, Paducah. www.wpsdlocal6.com...
Very little information on that one either. The Elmwood Courts neighborhood has a lot of violence, a lot of Chicago gangsters like to hang there I'm told.

Nothing has been mentioned about how the pursuit began. When I saw the story of the other shooting, it occurred to me to wonder if the suspect was running from the city shooting. Can't tell from the current reports.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Trooper Joseph Ponder---Rest in Peace.
That is the name WHAS is reporting.

ETA: Suspect is known, name announced, still at large.
edit on 14-9-2015 by diggindirt because: more info

ETA: www.whas.com...
edit on 14-9-2015 by diggindirt because: more info

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Whats going on with all these police shootings and killings lately?

This has got to be the work of some group out there... I'm not saying 'terrorist' group but I do remember reading that those types of Groups were going to go out and kill randomly.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

ahh no , it's just coming to the point where people have had enough.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Details being released finally: Trooper Ponder made a traffic stop, during which the suspect took off on him. Ponder gave chase for about nine miles, at which point the suspect stopped abruptly which caused Ponder's vehicle to make some level of contact with the suspect's vehicle. The suspect opened fire, striking the cruiser and Trooper Ponder multiple times.

Ponder survived long enough to be transported to the hospital, but succumbed to wounds there.

Subject is identified as male from Missouri. Multiple agencies are involved in the manhunt.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Maybe it's just being reported more now in response to all the police brutality reporting?

Would need to look at and compare statistics at the end of the year.

Anyway, it's sad when anyone dies for whatever reason.

edit on 14-9-2015 by Nexttimemaybe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

It's been a pretty rough few weeks. A couple officers killed in Louisiana, one in Texas, one found murdered in Texas, Illinois, Michigan, now Kentucky...

The total number killed and the number killed by gunfire is trending down, but there's been multiple killed in a relatively short time frame. I think that's why the media is talking about it.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01

ahh no , it's just coming to the point where people have had enough.

That is exactly the wrong ideology that fuels this type of thing.....

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I`m listening to the scanner at this site ....www.ustream.tv...

Sounds like they have him

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Yes, that is most likely the reason.

I'm still in no way convinced there is a group purposfully going around killing cops as one poster has suggested.

Hopefully it's just a coincidence so many are being killed in such a short time frame.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonlover12

Just saw a tweet that they got him on WAVE news' account. No details though, but it says captured so I'm assuming he's alive.

ETA - another tweet just came up that said he was shot and wounded during the apprehension.
edit on 14-9-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The suspect is now in custody. Being taken to Caldwell Co Medical Center. Supposedly was shot during apprehension. a reply to: diggindirt

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Suspect has died. Three other people in the car, one adult female and two juveniles.

Subject was shot by SRT troopers and then taken into custody. Died at hospital. No indication of why the stop was initiated or why the subject fled.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Suspect has died. Three other people in the car, one adult female and two juveniles.

Subject was shot by SRT troopers and then taken into custody. Died at hospital. No indication of why the stop was initiated or why the subject fled.

Just saw that flash up on the news....what an idiot....fleeing with others in the car...and 2 being juveniles. Anywho...good riddance to another waste of breath on the earth.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Yea I caught the news conference as I was getting ready for work. I think the trooper said the others had been detained but wasn't sure if they had been released yet or not. He wasn't saying a whole lot, due to it being an ongoing investigation.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Yea I caught the news conference as I was getting ready for work. I think the trooper said the others had been detained but wasn't sure if they had been released yet or not. He wasn't saying a whole lot, due to it being an ongoing investigation.

Wondering if they were in the car during the initial shooting/stop, or if he picked them up along the way. Possible family members and he was picking them up to all run together or something?

Either way....stupid stupid stupid.....

The guys arrest record that I can find isn't really even that bad...though there is an arrest record and one is for an incident with an officer from last year.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I would still prefer the shooter to be put in prison than shot.

Dead I'd the easy option, he should face time in a hard jail so he gets to realise what a scum bag he is.

Anyway....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join