It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the expression G**d**it common to say or hear or just overused in the movies?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
a reply to: intrptr So, the expression is taking the Lords name in vain because it is a curse on something that was meant to be said only by holy men of old? Is that also what taking the Lords name in vain means? Like if I were to use the Lords name for my own personal advantage?

If you mean as in " I swear to god"

Then yes most Christians would likely agree.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear I've always felt the act of speaking is "doing" the act of writing something down is also doing, so we should be mindful of what we say write or sign. Words can have power or just lose their meaning entirely over time, I suppose.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Depends on who you hang around. Some people say it a lot while others won't say it at all.

It's counted as a cuss word ("curse word") because it's literally a curse. The speaker is commanding God to damn something (damnation is the state of being sentenced to eternal Hell). It's actually stronger than the likewise profane saying "Go to Hell!" because you're demanding that God do it personally.

It's also categorized as "profane"/"profanity" because it's disrespectful to religion. After all, a "true believer" would never order God to do something; God fearing people shouldn't issue curses; and believers aren't supposed to use God's name in vain.

In practice, it's usually just a saying. People may say it when they're mad, frustrated, or confused. Some may even say it in a joking way, especially if they're surprised by something. An example of that would be a bunch of guys hanging out and then a fine woman walks by. Some guys may yell it because they're surprised by how good she looks (lol that's the most boring way I've even seen that described- I think I'm officially becoming a dork). You also might say it if you get a flat tire, spill your drink, get mad at someone, stub your toe, etc.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

You know I can understand your point, the feeling and context in the usage of such vocabulary can have different meanings. I do not mean offence or disrespect to any thing its just what comes and feels natural.

But a proverb I once read "After all is said and done, more is said than is done".

a reply to: johnwick

After the almost correct word usage though right?

LOL
edit on 13-9-2015 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: DISRAELI
It also appears in the Nixon tapes (as originally published) in the form "Expletive deleted".
Presumably there is a class of people who use it a lot, and Nixon was one of them.

There was actually a mild, by today's standards, profanity which Nixon used during a televised speech that the FCC had to change their rules regarding because you can't censor the POTUS. I tried googling this but haven't had luck yet.

Wait, what? Are you saying that even today there is an FCC "rule" that states the president can't be censored? Or was the rule in place then, but not now? As soon as you find some info, let me know (and PM me in addition to threading it). I don't have time to look into it in the next few days myself, but that's interesting.

Standing by.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant Your explanation makes me even more uncomfortable with the expression because if it is worse than "go to h**" then I'll never be comfortable with its casual use. It's the meanest thing you can ever say. Thank you

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

a reply to: enlightenedservant Your explanation makes me even more uncomfortable with the expression because if it is worse than "go to h**" then I'll never be comfortable with its casual use. It's the meanest thing you can ever say. Thank you

No problem. Taken literally, it's commanding God to sentence someone or something to eternal punishment in Hell.

I had to explain American cuss words/curse words to some of my Somalian immigrant friends. They heard people saying them over & over, so they started adopting them. The whole time, I thought they knew what they were saying.

They were pretty shocked when I explained it to them, since they had some fundamental misunderstandings of the words. For example, they only knew of "Hell" by the name "Jahannam" and "the Devil/Satan" by the name "Shaytan/Shaitan". So the phrases didn't have any meaning to them at first.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: DISRAELI
It also appears in the Nixon tapes (as originally published) in the form "Expletive deleted".
Presumably there is a class of people who use it a lot, and Nixon was one of them.

There was actually a mild, by today's standards, profanity which Nixon used during a televised speech that the FCC had to change their rules regarding because you can't censor the POTUS. I tried googling this but haven't had luck yet.

Wait, what? Are you saying that even today there is an FCC "rule" that states the president can't be censored? Or was the rule in place then, but not now? As soon as you find some info, let me know (and PM me in addition to threading it). I don't have time to look into it in the next few days myself, but that's interesting.

Standing by.

I don't know if it's true or not but it would make sense. Think about it in context. Can you imagine if Fox could actively censor anything their executives found "offensive" from a Democratic President? Or if MSNBC could actively censor anything their executives found "offensive" from a Republican President? There's already enough spin as is, so imagine them censoring carefully timed words.

We will ___ stop Israel. What's the missing word? If it's "definitely", it's "offensive" to some demographics. If it's "never", then it's "offensive" to other demographics. Media already have a field day by taking things out of context & ignoring entire sections of their speeches. So imagine if they could censor Presidents live on tv, too. Live censorship by aggressive editors would give each channel's viewers a completely different perception of what was said.

Just remember, Fox called Obama's "daps"/"pound" with his wife a "terrorist fist jab". Yes, a terrorist fist jab.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

No thanks, I will stear thanks!

I didn't invite you to stop. I was simply making a comment.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Surprising everybody is saying "it's just a word". To Christians it is blasphemy, and highly offensive.

Just sayin'.

well they are just words.
it is not blasphemy to me as i do not believe in the guy up high.
i do not say things to try and offend people. i just dont care if they do.
i have always felt that is something i say offends you, then that says far more about you than it does about me.
people taking offense by things i say is of no consequence to me

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Lol! Well I guess we're even then, because I don't really give a feral porcine's derriere what you think either!

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I think it's obvious the Christians will install a minister of " proper language and deeds" as soon as they can take the presidency [Cruz] and congress. Censorship is just around the god damn corner.

Goddamn is a pretty tame expletive around men that actually work for a living.
edit on 13-9-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

a reply to: intrptr So, the expression is taking the Lords name in vain because it is a curse on something that was meant to be said only by holy men of old? Is that also what taking the Lords name in vain means? Like if I were to use the Lords name for my own personal advantage?

Church has twisted it all up. We know that meaning is what is conveyed with words. If we mean harm and we want to convey that with utmost intent we curse at them. Having sex might be nice, but saying, F*** you is an insult.

People say God Bless you too. I guess we like to think we have God on our side and can tell him what to do.

God Bless this and God curse that. Some people use it casually, for comedy, for insult, some without even thinking.

If we are suddenly surprised we go, Oh my God. Probably because we were taught to. Others go Oh, S*** because they were taught that.

Lots of involuntary response going round. I can tell you're a person that chooses words carefully to convey meaning without harm. Thats whats important, the meaning behind the worlds, not the words themselves. You'll be fine.

I don't think theres such a thing as a dirty word. Any word can be dirty depending what the intent is. Religious folk add confusion to the language by insisting people don't use certain words. Thats why censorship for certain words exists. The hand wringers ears catch fire when certain words are uttered in their presence. Thats part of whats wrong with the world. I snicker at people who try to control conversation in the room that way.

Further: People do harm to each other with actions. Verbal and emotional abuse is one way, assault is another. Some are hurt by profanity, some think invoking God (name droppers) they add more authority to their insults (or blessing).

Today, that is misleading. I'm not Gods authority, nor is God my tool to order around. Normal people know this. Religious folk are conditioned to think they are better than, or just use prayer and blessings (or curses) so they don't have to actually help lend a hand. They dump it in Gods lap and go on their way.

edit on 14-9-2015 by intrptr because: further:

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant
I meant insofar as vulgarity or obscenity are concerned.

Like if a president says during a live, broadcast press conference "I don't give a F--- what Putin thinks," or something similar, whether there is a rule saying that can't be censored.

As far selective censoring the likes of which you described, I can understand why that might not be allowed, even though they still selectively edit, which they frequently do, and , which is a type of censorship in itself.

edit on 14-9-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Oh ok, I see what you mean. I guess they'd just turn it away from the broadcast if that happened.

On the other hand, our media craves juicy stories. So if a sitting President did start cussing or throwing up middle fingers at people, they'd probably show it in its entirety strictly for the ratings. But some might censor it when they replay it or lead the segment with a strong "viewer discretion is advised" statement.

In other words, I don't know so I'm just speculating now lol.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat over the years I have used the f-word too but now its mostly the s- word. A long time ago a teacher told us the meaning of f-word and it is really unpleasant. Forced unlawful carnal knowledge. So for me to say it in frustration is one thing but say it to someone is actually pretty mean.

You have got to be kidding me. Your teacher was a goddamn gullible dumbass. In the 90's when I was in school, one English teacher quickly outlined that it had dialect origins in Europe, not as a ridiculous acronym, much to the chagrin of all the kids in class who thought they'd finally one-upped her. The acronym came way later than the word did & didn't last long in usage.

Definition & origin of the F word via Oxford

Early 16th century: of Germanic origin (compare Swedish dialect focka and Dutch dialect fokkelen); possibly from an Indo-European root meaning 'strike,' shared by Latin pugnus 'fist'.

A good article on the F word's origins.

Perhaps from a word akin to [the] Norwegian dialectical fukka “copulate,” or Swedish dialectical focka “copulate, strike, push,” and fock “penis.”

Others point to the Middle English words fyke and fike, which meant “to move restlessly” as well as “flirt.” Another possible source is the Low German, ficken, which originally meant to scratch an itch, but later took on the vulgar sense.

IMO, "swears" & "curses" are inaccurate descriptions of the F word, damn, bitch, goddammit, dumbass, ass, sh** (why is that censored here, btw? always wondered about that) They're better described as emotion intensifies, words that illustrate as best possible the amount/level of emotion you're trying to convey in communication. In other contexts, they're just slang terms, edgier takes on other words they replace ("Dude, that girl is hot/Dude, that bitch is hot". etc)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah Funny thing is, she was a math teacher. My friend dropped the f-word and she gave us all a lecture about it being written on wood blocks with the mans head and wrists locked between the wood. I don't remember the time period she was referring to, but I believed her. Never thought to just look it up. Thank you, now I don't feel so bad about when it slips out of my mouth.

<< 1  2   >>

join