It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the expression G**d**it common to say or hear or just overused in the movies?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

You may also say 'Godammit' if you used 'vane', instead of 'vain'

LOL. Hey, if my spell checker doesn't pop up in red, I don't see things like that, usually until it's too late.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: windword I've always thought it was "taking the Lords name in vain" which I don't fully understand, so I just don't use the expression.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Funny cause i was thinking about something very similar today, actually about Charlton Heston and some of his great lines.
Particularly this scene from Planet of the apes. When i was young it was always censored on television. And this to me was the epitome of the word ever uttered in a movie. And he Say's it twice.

To me know this is to show to the masses the loss of Liberty. Look at us now, murica?

Also I was thinking about all his lines. Like in the 10 commandments. "Let my People go!" Or in Soilent Green " Soilent green is people". And the omega man. Just watch this clip even though it's not Heston.

edit on 9/13/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
a reply to: peppycat

I say it all the time. Like if I stub my toe. Its just words.

I was going to post something almost identical to this. The GD gets dropped any time I hurt myself... I'm a klutz so it is often.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I read your thread title and thought you were referring to "God did it" or goddidit.

G**d**it

I was disappointed.

edit on 13-9-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Lol op, your reading too deeply into the term.

It is just a saying, and yes it is used in everyday conversation by many.

Myself included.

And no it doesn't mean I want god to damned somthing, or am mad at god.

I don't believe in god.

That would be like asking the Easter bunny to damned somthing or being mad at the toothfairy.

It is just a phrase.

Nothing more nothing less.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: proob4 I've always liked the Planet of the apes movies. The expression used here seems to have more of a meaning and not just words. The character is calling to God to damn what humans have done. I'm not sure if in this case, it would be using the Lords name in vain. It's been twenty some odd years since I watched The Planet of the Apes though so can't go too deep into thought about it.

edit on 13-9-2015 by peppycat because: missing word

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr lol, this cartoon reminds me of me when I start getting all mad, I start to accidentally hurt myself.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
a reply to: proob4 I've always liked the Planet of the apes movies. The expression used here seems to have more of a meaning and not just words. The character is calling to God to damn what humans have done. I'm not sure if in this case, it would be using the Lords name in vain. It's been twenty some odd years since I watched The Planet of the Apes though so can't too deep into thought about it.

Exactly me too. Just something left over from my childhood. Like today I started thinking about him and all his lines. And then this thread came.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

a reply to: windword I've always thought it was "taking the Lords name in vain" which I don't fully understand, so I just don't use the expression.

Taking it in vain because we aren't good enough to be putting curses on others. Or hexes or spells.

I guess the old way of saying it is, In the name of God I put a curse on you… you had to be a priest or holy man or something to do that and not get vaporized yourself…

Now a days we have foreshortened our "curses".

The further back you go the longer they got. Remember the scene from Pul p Fiction when Jules laid furious wrath and vengeance on people?

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Surprising everybody is saying "it's just a word". To Christians it is blasphemy, and highly offensive.

Just sayin'.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It's "swear lite". Hell(pun intended), it didn't even make Carlin's list 40 years ago.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting Sadly, it shouldn't surprise you because not everyone is a Christian or a person that believes in a Creator. I say sadly, because I personally don't feel it is "just words" and is used so commonly in entertainment.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Surprising everybody is saying "it's just a word". To Christians it is blasphemy, and highly offensive.

Just sayin'.

But i'm not Christian, and don't care what they kind offensive.

Just like I don't care if Muslim's are offended when I call Mohammed ( may he burn forever) a pedophile.

Or I gladly eat a cheeseburger and offend vegetarians.

I don't live my life trying not to offend others.

I just live my life, if others are offended, I will most likely make fun of them anyways.

I don't take offense when baby murderers have abortions.

I just wouldn't participate myself ever.

Everybody has their own path.

I don't care what path others take, mine will be mine, of my choosing, whatever they think of it.

But i'm perfectly comfortable being me..... Most people aren't obviously, hence them being so worried about not offending others all the time.

Kinda sorry in my oppinion, and only leads to others dictating your actions instead of you.

No thanks, I will stear thanks!

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: DISRAELI

Didn't some President use it in radio address, and cause a ruckus, but blazed the path of its more common use in movies and such? I was looking for it, but all I could find were the Nixon tapes.

TMK, the first mainstream usage of God Damnit on TV was Charlton Heston's use of it on Planet of the Apes and a decision by TV back when they had Movie of the week night to air it uncensored.

Archie Bunker dropped the G bomb on All in the Family back in the 70's. I was a kid but I remember there was a big commotion over it.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
There is a time and a place for everything in need of necessity. In those few seconds after putting a 1/2 socket on an old rusty bolt, pulling with all your might to have it suddenly give catching ones thumb between a metal socket wrench and something else hard, angled or both will warrant a loud [insert favorite loud exclamation of pain] to make the pain go away. Maybe it works maybe it doesn't but a loud explicit "G$^ F^&(ing d&%$ it" is exclaimed anyways. Try mixing it up and using other deities names in place of "GOD" and see what interesting reactions one gets.

I personally feel the supreme architect/ creator of this reality cares little about what we actually "say/ how we worship" and more about what we "do/ how we live our life-times`".

edit on 13-9-2015 by StratosFear because: left out 2nd quotation mark.

edit on 13-9-2015 by StratosFear because: because the little greater that/less than arrows FSU

edit on 13-9-2015 by StratosFear because: jeez, phonetics and punctuation is just not with me tonight

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

a reply to: ladyinwaiting Sadly, it shouldn't surprise you because not everyone is a Christian or a person that believes in a Creator. I say sadly, because I personally don't feel it is "just words" and is used so commonly in entertainment.

I don't support you personal view, but I'm glad for you if that makes you happy in life

Most folks will never find their own happiness...

Which is kinda the whole point of living to begin with.

Good luck op, I hope this path leads to a full and happy life!!

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr So, the expression is taking the Lords name in vain because it is a curse on something that was meant to be said only by holy men of old? Is that also what taking the Lords name in vain means? Like if I were to use the Lords name for my own personal advantage?

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: StratosFear
There is a time and a place for everything in need of necessity. In those few seconds after putting a 1/2 socket on an old rusty bolt, pulling with all your might to have it suddenly give catching ones thumb between a metal socket wrench and something else hard, angled or both will warrant a loud to make the pain go away. Maybe it does maybe it doesn't but a loud explicit "G$^ F^&(ing d&%$ it" is exclaimed anyways. Try mixing it up and using other deities names in place of "GOD" and see what interesting reactions one gets.

I personally feel the supreme architect/ creator of this reality cares little about what we actually "say/ how we worship" and more about what we "do/ how we live our life-times`.

Well said!!

I couldn't agree more!!

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

I say it all the time. Like if I stub my toe. Its just words.

I was going to post something almost identical to this. The GD gets dropped any time I hurt myself... I'm a klutz so it is often.

Unfortunately, it does kind of roll off the tongue, personally. Maybe a little too easily because my parakeets picked it up, too. Oops

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join