It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the expression G**d**it common to say or hear or just overused in the movies?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
It seems to me, this expression is used in the movies alot as if it is an expression used by the average person normally.
I am by no means a movie buff or anything and it definitely depends on the type of movie, but I wonder why some screen writers and or directors think G**d**n is an expression used in daily conversation or even in heated conversation.
What does it even mean? Does it mean you want God to damn something? Or does it mean your mad at God?
I used to be a fan of Quentin Tarantino, simply for Kill Bill 1 and 2, but it seems like he uses that expression in almost all of his movies.
I remember reading awhile back that he gets alot of his dialog from everyday conversation that he's heard.
When speaking to people, be they lifelong friend, friendly acquaintance or even someone your not fond of, does this expression even come up? I mean speaking to someone in real life, not through technology.
Anyway I'm just wondering what people make of the expression and it's meaning and it's use.
Thank you

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat
I think that "sword/sabre" sound coming out of its sheath is what is over used. I swear they all use the same sample.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I say it all the time. Like if I stub my toe. Its just words.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

It carries a certain effect. Powerful. I'm not taking this any more god damn it!

movies, America.. Here it's not used literal. Never heard it used literal.. Lol.

It was my grandfather's favorite.

Mine is mf.

I also don't mean it literally.

edit on 13-9-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

I say it all the time. Like if I stub my toe. Its just words.

for sure.
i say it at least 10 times a day. thats my go to phrase when i get pissed during the day and i get pissed a lot

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I don't say god damn nearly as much as I say f**k and its many variants. I like cussing though. Like I said, its just words.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
i dont think you need to censor 'god damn it'.
i once had a wierd religious person call me an unpleasant person,
i think thats the most offensive thing someone has said to me.
i guess its the intent behind the words.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
It depends... if you're the Reverend Jeremiah Wright and you get called out for saying "God damn America" repeatedly, then you simply claim you're making a religious statement and hope the media buys the excuse. For the rest of us, it's more a general term of exasperation and frustration.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I think "Goddammit" is a generational thing. People don't use it as much as they did the WWII era, in my opinion. Calling something "God damned" was a manly way around "taking the Lord's name in vane".

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku I'm personally not comfortable writing the expression or saying it, that's why I censored it.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
a reply to: TinySickTears

I don't say god damn nearly as much as I say f**k and its many variants. I like cussing though. Like I said, its just words.

i say f word variants much more too.
dozens of times a day
i cuss a lot. too much probably.
ive always talked that way though.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I think it's frustration and people are actually saying for God to damn it. "It" being whatever frustrated them.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It also appears in the Nixon tapes (as originally published) in the form "Expletive deleted".
Presumably there is a class of people who use it a lot, and Nixon was one of them.

edit on 13-9-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Didn't some President use it in radio address, and cause a ruckus, but blazed the path of its more common use in movies and such? I was looking for it, but all I could find were the Nixon tapes.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
It also appears in the Nixon tapes (as originally published) in the form "Expletive deleted".
Presumably there is a class of people who use it a lot, and Nixon was one of them.

There was actually a mild, by today's standards, profanity which Nixon used during a televised speech that the FCC had to change their rules regarding because you can't censor the POTUS. I tried googling this but haven't had luck yet.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: DISRAELI

Didn't some President use it in radio address, and cause a ruckus, but blazed the path of its more common use in movies and such? I was looking for it, but all I could find were the Nixon tapes.

TMK, the first mainstream usage of God Damnit on TV was Charlton Heston's use of it on Planet of the Apes and a decision by TV back when they had Movie of the week night to air it uncensored.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: windword
Sorry, don't have any information there. I only know about the Nixon thing because I took an interest in Watergate.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat over the years I have used the f-word too but now its mostly the s- word. A long time ago a teacher told us the meaning of f-word and it is really unpleasant. Forced unlawful carnal knowledge. So for me to say it in frustration is one thing but say it to someone is actually pretty mean.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Its a curse, swearing, baaad words…

My dad used to say, Dag Nab it or, Dad Gum it, word play made it more acceptable to people who's ears catch fire. It wasn't okay to actually curse or swear out loud. You said Fudge or Dang it instead.

Sometimes we muttered under our breath. What a confused people we are, its okay to insult others nicely, but not actually let the anger out… that is the important thing, as opposed to keeping it bottled inside.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I think "Goddammit" is a generational thing. People don't use it as much as they did the WWII era, in my opinion. Calling something "God damned" was a manly way around "taking the Lord's name in vane".

Yup, the OP left out an 'M'. Now, if the OP wanted a word perfect thread on the OP, and left out a letter, he might just say, 'Godammit'. You may also say 'Goddammit' if you used 'vane', instead of 'vain'

*Edit We're never fecking perfect..Goddammit!
edit on 13-9-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join