It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tipping the waiter ... is this an unwritten law. Where does this come from?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnTheSmith
Why should I pay the companies overhead? Pay your own employees, you leaches!!

You already pay all the overhead, whether it is in tips or salary.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The point is. The company is not paying their employees. They are moochers.

And imo it should be illegal to pay someone less than minimum wage, idc how much in tips they make/report.

ETA: What this basically means is that every time you tip a waitress/waiter, you're actually tipping the restaurant instead...

edit on 9 14 2015 by JohnTheSmith because: ETA

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

The point is. The company is not paying their employees. They are moochers.

You are missing the point. If they paid them more salary you would still be the one footing the bill via increased food costs.

You think they are going to give them a rasie from $3.00 to whatever and say, 'Screw it, I'll keep the price of a sandwich at $6.00?'.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

LOL so I should pay my crew $5.00 an hour to lay brick so that I can give my customers a price-drop?

I'm not missing the point at all. I understand. But restaurants are not paying a fair wage. Why should I have to make up for it? For "seemingly" low-priced meals? No, I don't think so.

edit on 9 14 2015 by JohnTheSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

LOL so I should pay my crew $5.00 an hour to lay brick so that I can give my customers a price-drop?

Do masons typically work for tips?

I'm not missing the point at all. I understand. But restaurants are not paying a fair wage. Why should I have to make up for it? For "seemingly" low-priced meals? No, I don't think so.

Then raise the wage, watch the cost of dining out go up and subsequently you end up giving them a 'tip' (it is built in now) for even crappy service. The business will never pay it and never does, the end user pays the increase. Always.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Mandatory tipping is illegal, first of all.

Your point is that prices will rise. My point is that everyone should earn at least minimum wage.

You asked if masons typically garner tips. No they don't. But why shouldn't they? Why shouldn't EVERYONE get tipped?

So just because it's 'the norm' to tip certain people, those people can be underpaid?

ETA: I've got to leave for work now, but I look forward to continuing our discussion.
edit on 9 14 2015 by JohnTheSmith because: ETA

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Your point is that prices will rise. My point is that everyone should earn at least minimum wage.

A good waiter/waitress will make much more than minimum wage.

You are going to pay it one way or another, either in tips or increased food costs.

So just because it's 'the norm' to tip certain people, those people can be underpaid?

They are not underpaid. Federal/state laws requires you to make up any diference towards the minimum if they do not make enough tips.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnTheSmith

Pay it in tip, pay it in menu price....its 6 to one, half dozen to the other.

at least with a tip it gives you some control over the quality of service you recieve.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Our sales team held a national meeting in New Orleans last year which made me very happy as it is one of the food capitals of the US.

We had a spectacular meal at Commanders Palace where the service was flawless. As a regional VP I paid for my table and I made sure I tipped very well.

The next night we had possibly one of the most dismal meals I have ever had at a place called Drago's where we literally waited hours for our food which arrived wrong since the waiter did not write anything down. Sadly the tip was already included and we were not able to have it reflect the horrendous service.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
My better half is someone who does not like to tip. I am someone who always likes to tip twenty percent minimum. Sometimes more depending on service. We always end up arguing over what amount to tip. It usually gets resolved by me saying something along the line of, if you want to risk having your food be crappy and cold and possibly spit on, because you are cheap, so be it, but I will take no part in it dear madam. Then I yell, this whole situation is poppycock, poppycock I say, and storm off to the bathroom.

Then she is so mortified that she overtips, and then I can get my cut from the waiter. Daddy gotta get gambling money from somewhere.

edit on 14-9-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This has become an interesting thread...I think it is ridiculous to take 10% of a 300 dollar bill or 10 percent of a 30 dollar bill.... The tip should be a set minimum amount of dollars per service provided. That is fair for the workers in cheap restaurants compared to the ones working in upscale expensive restaurants.

Because of the nature of this thread I will tip ( hypothetically) every ATS member with a reply with one star... the ones with a more elaborate reply or with valuable contens... maybe with two ..or three. But the minimum is set at one star per reply. Just so you know..

(Don't
)

edit on 14/9/2015 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: zatara

I think it is ridiculous to take 10% of a 300 dollar bill or 10 percent of a 30 dollar bill.... The tip should be a set minimum amount of dollars per service provided.

Typically the higher bills are generated at upscale restaurants where they may turn the tables once or twice so the wait staff makes up for the volume that down scale restaurants generate. I had one of each and the staff made about the same despite the food and ambiance being completely different.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

These waiters at high end restaurants probably earn more without tips than the average waiter...without tips.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

These waiters at high end restaurants probably earn more without tips than the average waiter...without tips.

Usually, but they have more responsibilities and are better trained.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: zatara

The difference between the servers who work the morning shift at Denny's and the servers who work the evening meal service at Ruth's Chris or Bohanan's: professionalism.

To cut the mustard at a 5 star establishment, you have to be of the highest degree of professional. Or you won't last.

I have done work with a 5 star establishment where the servers took home more in tips than the owners earned in ownership distributions. It isn't unheard of for a 5 star server to make close to six figures a year. And they earn it. There is skill in serving people, in knowing your menu, in understanding wine pairings...having seen world class servers I can tell you that there is absolutely a difference.

Would I be happy to pay 20% gratuity for someone who simply carried and corked a wine bottle? Damn straight I would...if the first bottle they bring me is "the perfect glass of wine" then they did their job expertly. And are worth it. Because I can tell you that were you to send an idiot to fetch your bottle of wine, you may not even get the right bottle.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

when people stiffed the staff

This is what I mean, a tip used to be taken when it came with gratitude, now if you don't tip FOR ANY REASON you stiffed them!! Stupid in my opinion!

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
How many of you that don't like to tip, use ranch dressing as your go to when ordering at a restaurant?

"It comes with a honey-pecan vinegrette"

"Yew got ani raaanch?"

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Why would you not tip other than for poor service?

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Usually, but they have more responsibilities and are better trained.

My friend works a busy pizza place in Washington she gets good wages and three days a week well over 100$ a night tips, good tips the rest of the nights too. You can't put all of the various states and businesses in one pot.

No matter what a TIP should be a TIP not something the worker feels they are OWED.

i worked as a waiter when I was young and I never expected and yet was grateful for any tip that the person felt they wanted to leave or could afford.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
No matter what a TIP should be a TIP not something the worker feels they are OWED.

Where did any of us say that good service should not be expected to receive a tip?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join