It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghouls Rush In

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The world is sending billions in aid through official
governments, industry, and private donations ...
and THIS is going on? I saw it on the news, then
heard nothing until I came across this article.

On the TV news they showed beaches near the ones
that were wiped out. People playing in the sand and
suntanning, drinking beer .... etc. etc.

The TV news also said that relief supplies and money
are having a difficult time getting in because of
rebels (terrorists) putting up illegal check points and
they are shaking down aid workers and stealing
$$$ and emergency supplies.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON OVER THERE?

Excerpt -

N.Y. Daily News

Ghouls rush in
On Phuket, disaster's just an inconvenience to rich who gripe about views, bubbly

BY RAFAEL D. FRANKEL
SPECIAL TO THE NEWS
December 31, 2004

PHUKET, Thailand - While volunteers struggled to collect bodies washing up on the once-pristine beaches of this upscale resort isle, ghoulish tourists rolled out their towels yesterday, doffed their bikini tops and vacationed like nothing had happened.

On Patong Beach and Kata Beach - where hundreds died or disappeared four days ago - the smell of suntan lotion wafted from the shore as a new influx of tourists determinedly ignored the carnage around them, frolicking in the surf or reading under umbrellas.

An indignant Russian who arrived at the Novotel Phuket Resort on the day after the tsunami loudly complained that there was no champagne reception.

Other guests have pestered the hotel's grieving staff with complaints that their rooms lack good views.

Belgian tourist Desmet Romain, 42, questioned whether he should have stayed on despite all the death and misery.

But the prospect of missing the New Year's beach holiday he had been looking forward to all year was too much to bear.

"I didn't want to go back to Belgium where it is so cold," Romain said. "And in this hotel, it's like everything is totally normal."

Some Thais are amazed that the foreigners can be so insensitive to be sipping cocktails poolside while surrounded by death and grief.

"I think the people are good, but I don't know why they stay here now when we are so sad," a waiter at the Novotel said, asking that his name not be reported out of fear of losing his job.

As bodies continue to wash up on Phuket's shores and are stacked in makeshift morgues, the Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket is erecting big tents, installing cotton candy machines and bringing in caged animals in preparation for the gala New Year's Eve circus party it promised.

"We do want to keep it a happy theme," Sheraton marketing communications manager Zahid Ali said. "Our guests came here during the holidays and they do want to enjoy it."

But in a nod to the tragedy surrounding them, the Sheraton canceled its $2,500 fireworks display and will observe a moment of silence, Ali said.

N.Y. Daily News

[edit on 12/31/2004 by FlyersFan]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Who cares? Doesn't this situation unfold ever day? Somewhere people are dying of hunger, polluted water, and curable diseases; somewhere famines, epidemics and civil wars are occurring, and yet most people live their lives normally. The last time you took a vacation did you feel guilty that someone somewhere was having a bad day / dying? And vacationing in these areas will bring tourism dollars that can be used in the rebuilding and the disaster relief.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Yes, but that doesn't give tourists permission to be ignorant snobs.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
THe last thing phuket needs is for its tourist trade to completely dry up. This would cause the suffering of the survivors to increase exponentially as the tsunami struck people are hit with pink slips and businesses close sending that region into economic depression. SHould the tourists show some respect and deference and be willing to accept some conveniences? Absolutely, but should they cancel their vacations and go home? Absolutely not! They would be doing a disservice to the people of Phuket.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I completely understand that life goes on, and I completely
understand that tourism needs to go on in the area. I also
understand that people are in pain and dying everywhere
when I'm on vacation.

But this is a bit much.

This story was happening one, two and three days after
the earthquake and tidal wave which killed over 100,000
people ... just three blocks away. Tens of thousands of
people are starving less than a mile away. The tourists
are swimming in water full of dead bodies.

I understand life goes on. But not the day after this
tragedy and not while the dead are still floating in the very
water that the tourists are swimming in.

Complaining about not having champagne the day
after this happened ... come on ... that's AWFUL!

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I agree with you, Flyers. At least a decent amount of time should pass before callous tourists head back for the beaches. That is called respect. Not to mention I would think any lazy vacationeers could impede clean-up efforts.

Not many people in the world today understand respect for the dead and dying, however. It's all about the fun and the bubbly, haven't you heard? "Let others suffer, I need my UV rays!!"

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
This topic is being covered already. Please click the link below to add your comments and questions to the ongoing discussion.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closing Thread

top topics

join