It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billionair to buy island for refugees

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
did a google/ats search but couldnt find anything so forgive me if this has been posted before.

www.msn.com...

with all the evil billionaires ( well threads proving most to be crazy ) out there lately its nice to find a good one, well atleast on the surface, maybe he plans to become king or something.
edit on 13-9-2015 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: theboarman
did a google/ats search but couldnt find anything so forgive me if this has been posted before.

www.msn.com...

with all the evil billionaires out there lately its nice to find a good one, well atleast on the surface, maybe he plans to become king or something.

Nice....so he buys a few islands, uses slave(refugee) labor to build the entire infrastructure and owns everything himself. Pretty smart business man I would say. Take advantage of a crisis in order to build a new society.

Of course it COULD all be on the up and up and he is really just doing this out of the kindness of his heart.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
His plan is going to fail, these "refugees" are looking for free handouts not work.

Most of them pass through safe countries to get to countries with higher welfare handouts.
edit on 13-9-2015 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: theboarman

From the article seems like the purchase will be the easiest part. The whole jurisdiction issues seems like they will be the biggest

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
i bet he buys the island then makes it into his own country, like the artical says buying it is the easiest part and new country's come along more then people think.
edit on 13-9-2015 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: NeoSpace
His plan is going to fail, these "refugees" are looking for free handouts not work.

Most of them pass through safe countries to get to countries with higher welfare handouts.

What a Grotesque viewpoint
edit on 13-9-2015 by ugmold because: typo

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I think this is a grand gesture and really good business sense. As for being a ruler of a country, that sounds like a lot of stress.
It also makes me think about the push for the Arctic lands, while all these different countries are salivating over it, I cannot fathom why they don't just allow the Inuit to keep it as their traditional lands. They know how to survive there quite well and they do not systematically destroy the land like other nations do to theirs. I like to think of it as a harmonious union between their way of life and the land they truly love. No other nation will take care of it as well as they do.
Maybe if these refugees had their own land, the would learn to work together to make it great.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: NeoSpace

Disturbing that this is the most starred comment in the thread. People are risking their lives and those of their children for handouts? WTF.

Let's review the facts:

1. A middle of the road estimate of just the casualties in the Syrian civil war was published in March by the UN (my bold):

The report drew attention to “the appalling loss of life,” as the death toll increased in the past year reached 210,000 persons. And together with the 840,000 people who were wounded, 6 per cent of the population were killed, maimed or wounded during the conflict, it said.

“Equally horrendous is the silent disaster that has reduced life expectancy at birth from 75.9 years in 2010 to an estimated 55.7 years at the end of 2014, reducing longevity and life expectancy by 27 per cent,” the report noted.

The same report estimates 6.8 million people have been "internally displaced" meaning they've had to flee their homes but are still within Syria. Half of all school aged children in Syria are not attending class and many of those haven't been in schools since the fighting started. Their entire infrastructure has collapsed.

2. One of the most conservative estimates recently published, from the International Organization for Migration (pub date 8/28), put the number of deaths in attempted Mediterranean crossings for 2015 at 2,432. Thousands more are alive only because they were rescued.

Reasonable conclusion:

These people are fleeing a nation turned war zone and a vast number of them having been doing it via a route where they and their families run a roughly 1 in 100 chance of dying because the alternative is to face a far higher risk of death (so far it's looking like about a 500% greater risk) to remain only to endure the conditions endemic to a society in violent upheaval and collapse.

It's appalling and horribly disconcerting to see how many people have been successfully programmed to ignore reality and their own humanity in favor of right wing xenophobic propaganda, fear and hate.
edit on 2015-9-13 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Maybe Israel could give them some unused land they took from Palestine?

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: NeoSpace

Must be nice to decide where they should be going...

Which countries are you talking about that are the safe ones?

Another prime example of how liberal this website is with the stars that comment has received.

edit on thSun, 13 Sep 2015 14:13:21 -0500America/Chicago920152180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
He wants to call the Island "Aylan Island" after the toddler who drowned in the sea. He said it broke his heart. The Egyptian Billionaire was interviewed on Fareed Zakaria this morning. He said all he wants is permission to purchase an Island from Greece or Italy and he will do the rest.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
If I am a refugee running for my life I would be grateful for an island where people aren't shooting at me and my family. I guess some people just aren't going to be happy.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

don't feel to bad, the smarter ones usually don't comment or star.

second line

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Oh I don't feel bad at all, just always like to point the shining examples of regressivness we can see here at times.
Especially when there are those that feel this is some sort of progressive heaven.

It is rather balanced among the people that contribute I would say.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Lol, that's amazing.

I was daydreaming of doing a similar thing here in Australia - taking in a large numbers of refugees, giving them some empty land and funding them to build a new city.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
sounds a lot like an old scary tale about washing up on a island someone else wrote

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Maybe this could be the wave of the future?

People simply disenfranchised with whatever country they are living in, doing a Go Fund Me type thing and buying their own islands.

Or other billionaires doing it after they have secured a large enough potential population that would be able to do whatever they all agree upon in order for the "investor" to see a return on his/her investment. Like a company buying real estate after acquiring enough businesses to fill the space, only bigger on a more personal scale.

An independent governing body would have to be in place to oversee everything though. Wouldn't want a good idea going south now would we?

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
i hope most comments above are all wrong.
In the name of progression, and human evolution.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
It all depends upon the billionaire's brain. If the billionaire is an honest, decent person with a moral compass and a conscience, doing this out of the goodness of his heart, with no hidden agendas, then good for him and maybe this will start a new trend. But if this billionaire (whom I know nothing about personally) is a sociopath/psychopath (without conscience), then sad to say, but realistically, it's the truth -- these poor refugees will be going from the frying pan into the fire.

I sure hope that is not the case. My heart breaks for these people. I hate to see them end up worse off. Let's hope he's a good person, compassionate, who genuinely wants to help so these refugees are able to start a new life.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: theboarman

www.msn.com...

with all the evil billionaires out there lately its nice to find a good one, well atleast on the surface, maybe he plans to become king or something.

Nice....so he buys a few islands, uses slave(refugee) labor to build the entire infrastructure and owns everything himself.

Pretty smart business man I would say. Take advantage of a crisis in order to build a new society.

Vasa Croe - Not all billionaires are evil; some are, some are not. If he's a decent person with a moral code then he truly wants to help. But, if he is brain disordered, a sociopath/psychopath, then he'll do what you said above, slave labor, etc. It depends on his character, who he is inside.

Of course it COULD all be on the up and up and he is really just doing this out of the kindness of his heart.

Let's hope he is not disordered and that is the case as you said -- the kindness of his heart.
edit on 14-9-2015 by Jana12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join