It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Q7 T.V. Box

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Hey fellow ATS'ers, do any of you own one of these yet?
www.gearbest.com...
If so, what are your thoughts on it?

I'm dropping satellite soon and need a replacement for my wife.

not replacing my wife, just satellite, she is the TV watcher in the house but like most people,

Paying for 200+ channels and only watching about 10 of them is a drag, not too mention costly.

So any input will help, like, can it get local channels too?

I don't watch TV but I am in charge of making sure she has something that works...

I know she really likes both History channels and PBS..

Thanks..BM
edit on 13-9-2015 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Is that not similar to a Roku or Apple TV? I would assume that it is used in the same way, to access Netflix, Hulu, Amazon TV, etc. I wouldn't think it gives you access to local channels or regular cable channels like history or pbs. Although, shows appearing on those channels may be available for viewing on one of those services. If you're willing to wait a few months after the season finale to catch your fave programs, that's the best way to go. Most of the good shows are on hulu and Netflix now anyway.
edit on 9 13 2015 by EequalsMC2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Thanks, we have a smart TV that has Netflix and a few others and we also have a Roku.

Problem is this, the Roku is really hard to navigate for my wife with just the remote, you know, search boxes.

This one has a mouse so it might be easier..but hey! thanks for chiming in....

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: baddmove

I don't watch TV but I am in charge of making sure she has something that works...

Thats my wife's remote control too.

edit on 13-9-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Honestly, netflix and all the streaming content providers that are the way of the future(tm) need to get their act together.

Are we a planet, or 7 different realities connected via invisible wires relaying words on screens?

They want us to be 7 different realities. Where there is no connect. Worlds apart, so all things must be forcibly different.

I pay $11.99 a month for Standard Definition netflix, with restricted and limited content. No breaking bad, no anything worthy of viewing time, apart from when you get blind drunk and suddenly how I met your mother is a good idea.. blah.

we dont have the content because we, in Australia, live in a bollocked up country. Politicians have their feet firmly in the 1800's and their noses in the clouds. Too rich to care, to old to bother. Representing us. Hurrah.

They think broadband is 15mbps and suck it if we say the world say otherwise.

I get 125 gigs a month of quota. Ifg I go over that, I am then rate limited to 256kbps. from 13mpbs.

we pay and pay and pay and get nothing in return.

oh.. lol.. sorry, dunno.. tell your wife to get onto torrents.
she can watch what she chooses then, when she chooses.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Ive got one and I only use 2 apps on there and that's cartoon HD and showbox the box is great and id never go back to payed TV ,the apps gets updated daily with films and TV shows,latest update today had the new fantastic 4 film on there 😃 like I said best money ever spenta reply to: baddmove

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I have the Amazon Fire Stick and like it quite a bit. I get Netflix, Hulu Plus, Crackle, Sling [ which has as 20 channels of live TV ] and several others . I also have Amazon Prime and can watch just about any movie or TV show. Amazon Prime is $99 a year and includes free 2 day shipping, the Fire Stick was about $40. So, all the TV shows and movies you'd care to watch for a whole year, at the price of 1 months satellite bill.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   

It basically just runs KODI which is a update of TVMC. You could just d/l Kodi and plug your computer into your tv via HDMI. I do that with my laptop. I bought a wireless keyboard to control it. Its great though, not only do you get the movies, you can watch PPV like UFC and WWE.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I second what mr jellyxxx says..If you have a laptop or PC that can connect to your TV then your are 95% there. TVMC (aka TVaddons) is Kodi already configured with movie apps like Genesis and Ice films. If you just get Kodi you will have to add the apps yourself. Plenty of YouTube videos to walk you through it if you go the Kodi route.

Tvmc, in my opinion, is the easiest way to go but the download page for it has all those tricky ads that say download on them. Scroll to the bottom and pick that download button instead.
You should download TVMC or TVaddons only (same program) and not anything else. I think one of the fake downloads is Ilivid video or something similar. You do not want or need that.
After TVMC downloads choose to update it. It won't work right unless you update it first.
edit on 13-9-2015 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

If she has a"smart device" she can download the roku app and use her device as the remote. It allows me to use my phone's keyboard during search functions. The problem with roku is for channels like History you have to provide credentials to your cable service provider, which defeated the purpose as far as I am concerned.

new topics

top topics

join