It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just found out my best friend has cancer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
My coon hound Brody was diagnosed with Infiltrative Lymphoma at age 11...

There is basically nothing they can do at this point, she has been in and out of the vet the last two months for issues with her legs and the biopsy results just came back.

They can't do surgery because this kind of cancer is like spider webs through out the bodies tissues, muscle, bone, organs... It causes a great deal of pain, inflamation, bruising swelling.

We initially brought her in because her leg had swollen up and we thought she had been stung by something or took a fall. It eventually bruised a great deal, then it got better with some meds and time, and most recently same thing.

Extreme swelling, horrible bruising. The vet initially asked if she had been hit by a car it was so bad. So we did the biopsy...

And here we are... inoperable cancer.... extreme pain. she won't eat.. she doesn't want to walk or get up...

so she is laying on our bedroom floor. Doped up... and we have to decide... do we do this... keep her just this side of conscious.. until when... or do we have her put down...

I don't know what to #ing do right now.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
You put her down and let her go in peace. She will understand and know it was done in love. I had to do that with one of my cats. You want what is best for her and you don't want her to be in pain. I know it's hard as hell, gut wrenching to say goodbye, but it is for the best. I think deep down inside you know that.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
My heart goes out to you and your sweet Dog. I know all too well the heartache that goes with losing a beloved pet and have been around that block many times over the years. Hold her close and let her know that where she will be going will be a beautiful place that she will love and she will no longer suffer and that one day you'll be together again. HUGS!

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

((((HUGS))))

Take your time. You will decide what's right for you and yours.

I'm so sorry.

I had my boxer/mastiff for 16 years ( Harley) ... kids guard, house guard, you name it.. he guarded it.

He had a tumor that go so big he cried a lot and we finally had to put him down. The pain he was going through was so awful. Hurts me still today.

Cancer SUCKS!

I ran a 4 miler for Sherry's Run here in Tennessee where I live this morning. Cancer run....

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Nupagen made by Amgen saved by guys friend. He literally was like the walking dead and it helped bring him back better than ever. The bad news is, he was sponsored for the drug, to buy it is extremely expensive. Maybe a go fund me can help fund raise. Look into it, there is hope yet.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Oops, sorry, I thought you were talking about a human, I am so sorry.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

If there is no quality of life possible that would let her enjoy her existence, then you let her go.

Dogs live in the now. There is no I remember the good days or look forward to the better, so all she knows is the now. And if the now is only pain, that is her life. That can be tolerated if YOU know she will turn the corner and have a good string of days that are good compensation, but if that can't or won't happen, then all she knows, will know, is what you see now.

So think about it and talk to your vet. If she can have a good amount of time left with you where her days will be good, then it may be worth it. If there is no chance of that, I'd have to let her go myself.

But only you can make that call. It's so hard. I know. I've been there with pets for other reasons, and it hurts so bad every time. I am sorry.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

What would you want those to do who love you if it was you in this much misery? I think if you do not end it for her then you are incredibly selfish, you don't strike me as that person, so, I think you already know.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Let her know of your love and compassion. Comfort is #1. She knows even through extreme pain and medication of that.

originally posted by: Fireflysky

Oops, sorry, I thought you were talking about a human, I am so sorry.

Good suggestion, still relevant, as the drug is approved for use in canines.

One source

Op, would run that across to your Vet but am sure they are already aware of it. Also, would ask if they make house calls to give her that extreme comfort of home for her last breath. Plus am wondering what did they suggest when you wanted to bring her home?

Regards

edit on 12-9-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I share your exact experience. Mine was 13 years old and also inoperable cancer. All same symptoms as your buddy.

It took me 2 days to have a look, a deep look into her eyes to know she wanted me to help her in the only way I could.

After a 2nd opinion, I layed on the floor with her in the vet's exam room. She licked my face goodbye, took her last deep breath and she was gone. In my arms. I cry as I share this. I miss her so. It's been 4 years.

But I know her lifeforce remains with me wherever I go. I can feel her near.

I am deeply sorrowful you are in this situation. I know whatever you decide, your buddy will always love you.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I agree with Nightstar.. go in peace. I really hate to see a pet go. Put 5 wonderful boys down. Trust me I did EVERYTHING I could to give them a fighting chance..

Till I laid down with them on the floor. It was always the cool kitchen floor. Held each up close. And ask them if the time is now. Forehead to forehead... tears shed. Believe it or not. Animals speak. Look at their eyes. Tells an amazing story.

I am truly sorry for your situation.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
"I am deeply sorrowful you are in this situation. I know whatever you decide, your buddy will always love you."

Newznose said it right. I've never met a more loving and forgiving species on this planet yet.

Damn it now I'm going to cry....
edit on 12-9-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I'm so, so sorry this has happened.

For what it's worth... I had a cat from the age of 6 to the age of 18. That boy bonded with me in a way I feel cats rarely do. He liked to be held upside down like a baby. As a child he could sleep right next to my head. As a teen and adult he did the same thing. We were inseparable. He would always know when I was sick or needed to be comforted. Sometimes when I'm very ill and feverish, I almost catch a glimpse of him out of the corner of my eye, as crazy as that sounds. But I digress.

So believe when I say, I know the prospect having to euthanize a pet is one of the most painful things one will ever face. It killed me to do it. The only thing more painful, would have been watching him suffer. He had inoperable lung cancer and was essentially going to suffocate. It was brutally painful, but it had to be done.

No one can tell you what you should do. But that was my decision.

I'm very sorry, again, that you are experiencing this. It really is every bit as bad as a human loved one being in the same predicament. I don't care what anyone says.

Peace and best wishes.

edit on 9/12/2015 by AceWombat04 because: Typo & grammar

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Tough call HJ . Damm them for not living as long as us .

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

If she doesn't have quality of life, don't make her suffer through it.

Gosh these make me choke up.
Good juju your way, know that she will love you still and be waiting on the other side.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Some birds and tortoises live longer than we do. Something to know for future reference.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
These stories being shared is making me cry. I'd share my own, but my stories are like everyone else's. None of us are alone in our sorrows and all have wonderful memories of precious years we have spent loving and being loved by our fur babies.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I was aware of that Night Star . Playing fetch with a tortoise while it may be a way of killing an afternoon just doesn't seem the same .

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: hutch622

Some birds and tortoises live longer than we do. Something to know for future reference.

Yep.. still crying here. Night star, I don't want to know what happens to my child after I'm gone. Taken in sooo many strays in my lifetime. Cats,Dogs,goats,rabbits, 2 pony's, and ohhh the lick fest of the puppies. ( one snake )... no animal ever turned on me.

Truth be told. My 15 year old white Sheppard is in his end faze. So this thread has bit my butt. Yep still jerking tears.
All I ask is, love your pet. Tell them so!

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: Night Star

I was aware of that Night Star . Playing fetch with a tortoise while it may be a way of killing an afternoon just doesn't seem the same .

That's for sure! I always preferred my furry friends.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join