It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calgary Man says he was fired for not driving Pride bus

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
a reply to: brancolinoxx

Your home is yours and you have every right to invite whoever you wish into it and serve them whatever you want. However none of that even remotely applies here.

1) This is a business, not a private residence.
2) The driver does not own the business. He is an employee.
3) The business owner has every right to terminate the employment of a subordinate who refuses to do the work assigned to them.

And that is just covering who was in a position to have authority and the ability to make decisions. That doesn't even start to cover anti - discrimination laws or the subject of risk / reward ratio involved in making a social statement or stand on an issue - a potential loss of revenue to the company that this man worked for.

My point is, there is an easy solution to this issue. Get another driver. Dock the chaps wages and the other driver gets overtime. Everyone is happy. Show a little more love. This goes for religious people too, ont get me wrong. We are all so hateful and uncompromising these days. No wonder society is crumbling. Its always 'Im right, you are wrong'. This is not the way forward.

Im not a good writer and have difficulty getting my views across, It just upsets me when peoples solutions are hateful all the time. I understand what you are saying about how business operate. Doesn't mean it's the best way. It is never good to force people into situations that make them uncomfortable, that's what Im saying, there was a simple solution to this. Look at the hatred these actions cause in the long run on all sides. If we could just learn to accommodate people better (yes, the driver too needs to learn), can you not see the way this little gesture could greatly improve our society? This needs to be implemented across all sections of society in order to make it the norm. Business too. People are putting far too much value in money these days. I live in the wilderness so just see business practices as a serious problem to the human psyche also, maybe Im right, maybe im wrong, it doesnt matter, its just my opinion.
edit on 12-9-2015 by brancolinoxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   

We are all so hateful and uncompromising these days

If the driver had compromised he would still have a job , it is he who has shown a lack of understanding.
Why should the bus company have to find another driver when as far as they were concerned they already had one , I'm guessing they put him through the test for his bus licence so have every right to expect him to drive the vehicle.

If they had asked him to drive a homosexual orgy bus then I could understand but all it is is a bus with a livery promoting the event , if he didn't like war could he refuse to drive a bus advertising a war film ?

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

We are all so hateful and uncompromising these days

If the driver had compromised he would still have a job , it is he who has shown a lack of understanding.
Why should the bus company have to find another driver when as far as they were concerned they already had one , I'm guessing they put him through the test for his bus licence so have every right to expect him to drive the vehicle.

If they had asked him to drive a homosexual orgy bus then I could understand but all it is is a bus with a livery promoting the event , if he didn't like war could he refuse to drive a bus advertising a war film ?

Nobody compromised, thats what Im saying. Your guessing doesn't make it the case.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   

But the man refusing to drive the bus was the one being bigoted and hateful - something that society tends to not reward.

As for losing his job being hateful? I honestly do not see it that way at all. I am positive that his employer tried to give the guy a chance. I spent my career in management and never terminated an employee for insubordination without giving the employee a very clear warning and at least a couple of chances to correct their behavior. This had to be done, and recorded as part of the documentation process to avoid potential lawsuits later on.

If you remove the sexual and religious details the rest is absolutely cut and dry. A guy was told to perform a duty and he chose not to. Period. If the guy at the fast food place walks in and says "I only want to cook burgers. I refuse to cook chicken" and his boss says "Sorry man, chicken is on the menu and you're the cook. It's the job". Nobody would argue in favor of the guy refusing to cook chicken.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Your guessing doesn't make it the case.

If he'd been there a year and was still on probation I think that does make it the case , if he came to the company as an experienced driver he wouldn't still be on probation at a year , the company I worked for probation was three months.
The fact he was still on probation that far into his contract may suggest he was so for a reason.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: brancolinoxx

They shouldn't encourage sin.

I know you dont see it as a sin, thats up to you. People hate hunting, hunters dont. People hate animal testing, others see it a vital. People hate vaccinations, others dont. Get used to the fact we are different. It is normal. If you hate people because of this obvious fact, you are a problem too. We need to learn to try to accommodate each other as best we can. Like I said, we all do this to some degree and we need to learn to stop it. Rebuild our communities on respect, tolerance and understanding. Try to accommodate peoples beliefs as much as possible. Without the hatred and critisism just because we dont understand others views.

I see. Well that was the longest and lamest excuse I've heard in a long time.

Plus you never even addressed my question. I suppose it must have been easier to just call me a hater rather than providing proof for your claims.

Try again??

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Meh.

It's Canada.

This guy will whine to a newspaper or two, everybody will yawn in boredom, and his soapbox moment will disappear into the abyss before most people even get a chance to read about it.

edit on 12-9-2015 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: brancolinoxx

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: Joneselius
It's literally in his faith that he CAN'T do it.

If it's "literally" in his faith then show me where it is written "Thou shall not drive a pride bus".

They shouldn't encourage sin.

I know you dont see it as a sin, thats up to you. People hate hunting, hunters dont. People hate animal testing, others see it a vital. People hate vaccinations, others dont. Get used to the fact we are different. It is normal. If you hate people because of this obvious fact, you are a problem too. We need to learn to try to accommodate each other as best we can. Like I said, we all do this to some degree and we need to learn to stop it. Rebuild our communities on respect, tolerance and understanding. Try to accommodate peoples beliefs as much as possible. Without the hatred and critisism just because we dont understand others views.

Why is it that the world should accommodate the religious and their beliefs when they are the ones preaching tolerance and "don't hate us because we think different" and are the source of the majority of hate in this world. Do you see the hypocrisy in what you ask? How many people have been killed in the name of religion in the past 2000+ years? How many people are still being killed in the name of religion this day? Look at the mess going on in the middle east right now? Tell me, WHO is less tolerant? How many LGBT groups are raiding peoples homes and their lands in the name of what they believe and murdering innocent people? I don'r know of any.

You preach about your morals and how much better they are, yet is it moral to hate and shame another HUMAN for being different than you? It's all good for Christians to hate the gay's, but don't hate us because we hate you is what your preaching here.

On the flip side of the coin, if the bus driver was Gay, do you think he would refuse to drive a Church group to a Church related festival? My money is on him doing his job and not hating on the Christians. I would go as far to say any one of the attendees at the Pride parade would do the same thing.

I look at it this way, If you are not a 100% devout to your Christian religion and you pick and choose which parts of the bible you want to whine about then you have no leg in the game. Don't ignore and commit sins that are convenient to you one minute then claim moral superiority the next. It doesn't work that way.

Give respect, to get respect.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Im not a good writer and have difficulty getting my views across.

I think you're doing just fine, and making good points.

It just upsets me when peoples solutions are hateful all the time.

Me too. I think we can do better also.

I understand what you are saying about how business operate. Doesn't mean it's the best way.

It can be tough for businesses to find a happy medium, especially when there are so many potential objections to this, that and the other. It can be a lot to be considered and managed and balanced.... and, sadly, complicated by the many agendas to push. That's what we're dealing with here.

It is never good to force people into situations that make them uncomfortable, that's what Im saying, there was a simple solution to this. Look at the hatred these actions cause in the long run on all sides. If we could just learn to accommodate people better (yes, the driver too needs to learn), can you not see the way this little gesture could greatly improve our society? This needs to be implemented across all sections of society in order to make it the norm.

I agree with everything you said here. We can do better... but too many people have different purposes. One is the divide-and-conquer -- keep us fighting and hating so that we never come together for the common good, all for the benefit of the few. Arguments are now framed as who's "right" or who's "best" and who deserves to impose their will on the undeserving. I'm pretty sure that Canada has legal protections for religious beliefs, similar to our own, including "reasonable accommodations" much like you suggested. It was probably easier to fire him for social media transgressions than to use his religious objections, which would have given him rights under the law.

For me, personally, as long as people can still say "no," that's what's most important. I would much rather see someone have to walk away from their job if they cannot in good conscience perform the duties of that job, than to see someone forced to do anything that violates their conscience/faith.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

well to be fair that can be said for any country really.

second line.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Exactly how does one compromise with a person whose very position is based upon not compromising? The only way to accommodate an absolutist position is through total surrender. What makes it even more troubling is that these religious scruples are hypocritical at best.

Why is there not an evangelical movement to close Red Lobster? After all, Leviticus clearly prohibits shellfish. Why are no evangelicals on my news feed saying that if shrimp is not made illegal then they feel that their religion has been violated?

Why has an evangelical never stoned me to death for wearing leather and cotton at the same time. That too is a clear violation of Mosaic law.

Why are no evangelicals outraged that the law will not allow them to sell their daughters into slavery? Again, Leviticus.

Why are no evangelicals saying that the legality of football is violating their religious freedoms? Footballs are made from the skin of dead pigs and that is most certainly prohibited in Leviticus.

How are all of these other things not a trespass upon religious freedom, but this one particular issue is?

I would offer that personal biases, fortified by agenda driven media and political manipulation have much, much more to do with things than any real concern for whether or not God is offended.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Exactly. The thing that bothers me about American style evangelical Christianity is;

1. They walk around with a superior to everyone else attitude
  2. They pick and choose what they want to condemn as you have raised
  3. They really do believe they are above secular law
  4. They are not prepared to live and let live

I am gay and I grew up Catholic. I know the bible, I know Christian belief, and for the most part I have reverent respect for it. These clowns though are a joke and I do not respect them because they use the bible as a shield to hide their arrogance and bigotry behind.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

These clowns though are a joke and I do not respect them because they use the bible as a shield to hide their arrogance and bigotry behind.

Truth! The fact that this bus driver won't refuse to drive the bus knowing there are fornicators and adulterers, liars, cheaters and thieves riding on his bus every day is proof that he doesn't really care who is on his bus. He just hates gays, and uses religion to justify it.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I'm not religious or homophobic, but I'd probably look for another job before driving the bus. To put it in context, how about trying the colours in other jobs? Can you see this working for servers in restaurants? Sportsmen? Construction? I'd love to see LGBT hi viz on tradesmen.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

i agree, if you are religious, or suddenly turn religious go to a job that already caters to your needs, don't expect your new or existing job to.

soon you will have someone attacking you for saying im not religious or gay...BUT

edit on 12-9-2015 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: theboarman
a reply to: SlowNail

i agree, if you are religious, or suddenly turn religious go to a job that already caters to your needs, don't expect your new or existing job to.

Again, it's all hypocrisy.

All the Christians ran over to stand behind Hobby Lobby, a religious company that didn't want to accommodate non-religious employee's while saying those employees need to find another job. Then they wanna run over and stand behind a religious employee and claim the non-religious company is not accommodating them and they shouldn't have to go find another job.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
He wasn't even asked to drive the bus!!! He learned of the bus and went straight to the media, stating that he would REFUSE to drive the bus, if it was assigned to him. THAT'S why he was fired! For breaching the city's code of conduct and media relations policy. Plus he was under probation. He screwed up completely!

Another "entitled" Christian victim, who thinks his religious extremist beliefs should be "accommodated" by everyone else. Too bad, brutha!

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
a reply to: Boadicea

Exactly how does one compromise with a person whose very position is based upon not compromising? The only way to accommodate an absolutist position is through total surrender. What makes it even more troubling is that these religious scruples are hypocritical at best.

Hmmm... how can I say this? I understand that it can be tough for businesses to find a happy medium, especially when there are so many potential objections to this, that and the other. It can be a lot to be considered and managed and balanced.... if you had asked me my opinion of those laws that allow such reasonable accommodations, I would say that I'm not sure they are either practical or effective, especially for a government office or agency that must serve everyone equally, but as well for private businesses who must maintain cost efficiency. I would have told you that folks probably should not apply for nor accept a job if they cannot do the job.

Of course, I would also have said that because it is the law, and as long as it is the law, that those legal rights must be given the same due process and consideration as any other laws, and that to ignore and or deny those legal rights is just as wrong as ignoring anyone else's rights to due process. I would have to add that the real issue is the law, not the person exercising those rights, and the law should be attacked... not the person simply exercising their legal rights, or those protecting due process for ALL not just a selected few.

And sadly, I would have to point out that such laws are easily manipulated and exploited and tainted by those who do not want to respect others' rights and who want to impose their will on others.

I would offer that personal biases, fortified by agenda driven media and political manipulation have much, much more to do with things than any real concern for whether or not God is offended.

And I would agree 200%... because I see the agenda driven media and political manipulation that you see, as well as other agendas and manipulation that you refuse to see.
edit on 12-9-2015 by Boadicea because: formatting: remove CAPS

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
Of course, I would also have said that because it is the law, and as long as it is the law, that those legal rights must be given the same due process and consideration as any other laws, and that to ignore and or deny those legal rights is just as wrong as ignoring anyone else's rights to due process.

There is no law. Read the post above yours. The man was not even asked to drive the bus and was NOT fired for refusing.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I believe if he told the employer of his religious objections and asked for a replacement he could be protected under the law.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join