It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleeping with the door open?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
So I was in a home defense thread & the primary concern was home invasion, yada yada ya.
A terrible thing to be sure if it happened to any one, could be a loose/ loose situation.

That got me curious if anyone else sleeps with their door open?

Even when I lived in south LA(San Pedro) I slept with my door open so the kittys could get in & out.
Now I'm in backwoods Oregon(cough Meth robberies cough) & I still sleep with the door open for the again adopted fuzzies.
Damn if I know how these critters know I'm a soft touch.

Anyway anybody else sleep with the door open?

K~

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
No freaking way. Even when I grew up in the isolated mountains we always locked our doors. I do sleep with my window open because we don't have air conditioning, but even that weirds me out.

I also don't like to sleep with my closet doors open. That weird me out on a different level.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

In the UK, we have cat flaps.

Otherwise, in Oregon I'd be scared of bears invading as much as people...or sharks.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Never sleep with your doors or windows open. Anywhere.

Use the worst case scenario as your blueprint.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

Oh the closet, had a terrible experience with a closet as a child, until I figured it out then I just felt foolish.
Lesson learned, never sleep with a monkey that has big plastic lips.

K~

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Hell no. I was raised in northwest Miami. In my neighborhood you didn't leave your car unlocked for 5 minutes.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yes pet doors but in LA it was a rented flat so I couldn't cut the door & I want to replace my current doors, but haven't got to it yet.
Eh bears around here are more likely to run from you, coyotes & cougars can be more of a problem.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Meh always have will continue to so when the furries require it.
"Worst case scenario" I think we probably have different concepts of that?

K~

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Yes when being in a more off the grid situation. It was a mountain farm area, didn't worry about people as much as the goat (daytime though)breaking out of the pen and accidentally falling in the door-she liked the tree leaves outside of it. We had Timber Wolves, and Mountain Lions so didn't leave the cats and dogs outside unattended at night.

In the city, no... never. I moved from So. FL to vs the more remote area of as Eastern Washington, still crime, still robberies while not as rampant or lethal. Family now lock their doors in higher population areas here. Even where I'm at now crime is growing especially for unlocked doors. Sadly, feels like this was the last small town city where you didn't have to lock your doors when heading into a store.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

If you feel safe in the area, why not?

Before their cat died, friends used to do the same thing in a busy, built-up neighbourhood. They'd leave the back-door ajar for hours a day. In ten years there was only one incident when 2-3 kids were caught in the kitchen and they ran off.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Yeh the cougars have been a real problem the past couple of years, both pets & people.
No wolves but the coyotes run deep around here.

Yea the crime thing is crazy, I'm in the boonies & the nearest town is "Blink & you miss it" & for a few years, ya lock it just to run in the market.
Them damn nasty drugs cause that, it's much better now no need to lock up, well I've never had a problem.

K~

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek
a reply to: rockintitz

Meh always have will continue to so when the furries require it.
"Worst case scenario" I think we probably have different concepts of that?

K~

There are no different concepts when it comes to worst case scenario.

Imagine the worst, plan for it, and hope it doesn't happen.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Not that the areas are safe, San Pedro had a , well LA crime rate & here there have been issues, not so much lately.
I don't know I guess I'm "off" enough that it's just not a pressing concern.

It just struck me that the concern seems to be the norm so I'm attempting to Baseline my eccentricities.

K~

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I sleep with my doors open when the weather is nice.
I also have a dog and shotgun handy.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Always good to have mans best friends around if needed.

K~

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek

Yeh the cougars have been a real problem the past couple of years, both pets & people.
No wolves but the coyotes run deep around here.

Yea the crime thing is crazy, I'm in the boonies & the nearest town is "Blink & you miss it" & for a few years, ya lock it just to run in the market.
Them damn nasty drugs cause that, it's much better now no need to lock up, well I've never had a problem.

K~

There's a bit of a coyote issue here. Loud noises and or letting my dog out to break often helps them to keep a better distance. Watch for owls as well. The hooting of course is a dead give away, but if you can actually spot one hiding in the trees, then it's may be a dangerous size vs a cat.

Yeah, the "Blink & you miss it" towns seem best on keeping out the rampant drugs of larger areas-but that's if you can be welcomed enough there as well-many generational locals are very weary to outsiders. Sounds like you found a good place.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Well a few years back the bathtub blenders were a real problem, that has been more of an issue for the rural areas because the remoteness benefits the process.

Owls tend to keep to the deeper woods around here but thanks for the heads up.

K~

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Sleeping with door open and a hunk of steel under the pillow is comforting.
Yep! An old man's conservative view of life as desired.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Hey I resemble that remark, well except the conservative part.

K~

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Oh hell no.

With the door open??? Double hell no.

I live in a semi-rural area and never locked doors for the longest time. Now they're locked, so at least the noise of someone trying to get will wake me.

As far as the cat, he has a curfew: dark. And he has to stay his butt inside during the night so that nothing gets him.

**In the country there's no one to hear you scream. In the city it's so common no one cares.**

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join