It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fire/Water Baptism, What Are They?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Well the story of Jesus mirrors facets of our own existence from top to bottom, I don't think that can be ignored personally. His story is our story and the parables and metaphors used in his life are referring to our own journey. This goes for any Holy book, they describe the same thing only in different ways.

I think a true spiritual awakening is to realize this.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Like I said, when you let the bible interpret itself, it says something quite different than what you propose.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

The bible can't interpret itself, only you can. That's like telling a rock to define itself, it doesn't work like that.

The problem here I think is that you look at Jesus in a mostly literal and concrete way, you see his carnal representation. I see him in a metaphorical and abstract way, I see his spiritual representation.
edit on 9/12/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

It most certainly can. The word of God is alive and powerful.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

No it can't. Any interpretation of the Bible has been an interpretation by man. Even your interpretation is that of your own, not the Bible's. If the bible interprets itself then there wouldn't be so much division within Christendom.

A book is no more alive than a rock is.
edit on 9/12/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

For what it's worth, I share a similar perspective to what Believerpriest had mentioned earlier.I bring this up, because I can relate to Christ in different ways, including the metaphorical and abstract.

In my experience these forms of baptism manifest differently.?I was raised Roman Catholic, so that comes into play too.Typically, individuals are baptized as infants.I expect that those exploring the faith, further down the road may have different opinions due to their age and greater life experience.

I tend to look at water baptism as a commitment to repentance and the purity required to grow in one's relationship with Christ.Idk, working on building the foundation required to understand the mysteries.Looking back, I describe this stage of my journey as more of an intellectual process, anchored through faith.(mind)

The baptism of fire brings to mind the quote"That when the student is ready, the teacher appears."Imo this stage of one's life marks a deeper understanding of the scriptures and the esoteric life of those who have persevered in their trials.Fire describes it well.

I feel that in the past my understanding and faith was more of a window dressing. Idk like practicing good works, and cultivating the virtues.It's looks good on the outside, but it is better when the inside is in sync.Water often signifies the emotions in symbolism, while fire tends to bring intent,strength, life force, light and warmth.(heart)

I feel that after this form of baptism, someone is more likely to realize the importance of purity in their inner lives, and that this heralds a transformation of the heart at a deeper level.I'm having a hard time describing the the change.I feel like I never had the personal relationship I was looking for until the I experienced this.Most will know intuitively when it happens.It's intense.

I wonder how it would go, for those who make the commitment to Christ in greater maturity.This is part of the reason that I enjoy hearing what the more Evangelical among us have to say.As for me, I feel this change can happen in an instant depending on the initiation.

3NL1GHT3N3D1, you may want to take a look at some of the writings of Paramhansa Yogananda.The Second Coming series goes into ideas about this, that may be easier to relate to.I feel you may enjoy his take, rather then more orthodox views.His perspective may be able to tie in more these concepts better in a metaphysical sense...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join