It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about neutron bombs and cockroaches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Ok it's time for another stupid question from Cyberdude78. I've heard lot's of stuff about cockroaches surviving nuclear radiation and such. And I wondered what effect a neutron bomb would have. Does anybody know if a cockroach would be immune to a neutron bomb.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Probably, i mean nothing really kills them.
When they invent a tank like a cockroach armours days will be numbered.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
IIRC a nuetron bomb is just hard radiation Nuke with very little fallout. I think everything with living tissue would die under such conditions including cockroaches.

The problem lies in that cockroaches don't stand out in the open but usually like dark damp areas with poor ventilation. Which makes them less succeptible to Rads from a nuclear device.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
the hydrogen in water blocks neutrons, and being in a damp area far away would help. However, setting one off relatively close to a cockroach would kill it. It's just that they can tolerate more radiation before dying than a human.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
A neutron bomb is a hydrogen bomb with the outer layer of Uranium (which absorbs neutrons) removed. This neutron radiation is so powerful that it is said to destoy any living matter within its effective range. However, there are some exceptions like the cockroach, which has such a high tolerance for radioactivity (up to 105,000 rems compared to 800 rems being the lethal threshold for humans) that it would probably survive the effect from anywhere not directly next to the bomb. Check out these articles on the bomb and the radiation thresholds of cockroaches.

www.ipm.iastate.edu...

www.zealllc.com...

www.radiusdefense.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
We know what a neutron bomb is... yet to my knowledge one has never been set off. For all we know it could rip a hole in the thingy we like to call the space time continumumum. That thing. Ya. Cockroaches can resist more radiation, as we all know. And most of them probably would survive a nuklear war. Once again, as we all know. But a neutron bomb, we don't really know what it will do other than explode really really big like, or whether or not it will effect cockroaches.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
If cockroaches survive, so will scorpions. Scorpions also fall under the category of "Why won't you die dammit?"

Well anything that survives a nuclear holocaust, needs to have a natural predator.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Oh yes, forgot to add this. "Neutron" bombs would never work. There is no way to split a neutron. It is part of an atom. It is made of quarks. We know of no way to split them, of no way to use them to make an explosive force with them, purely theoretical. Now, to destroy organic matter, it would simply be what we like to call a "dirty bomb". Simply releasing tons of radiation, not a neutron bomb.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Roaches have a higher ressitance to radiation than say a soft skinned animal. However, given that like rats they are usually in well protected spaces many will survive. Then given the abundance of food and lack of many preditors, their ability to multiply is staggering.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kompaktor
Oh yes, forgot to add this. "Neutron" bombs would never work. There is no way to split a neutron. It is part of an atom. It is made of quarks. We know of no way to split them, of no way to use them to make an explosive force with them, purely theoretical. Now, to destroy organic matter, it would simply be what we like to call a "dirty bomb". Simply releasing tons of radiation, not a neutron bomb.

A nuetron bomb is not a bomb built by splitting nuetrons (which can be done with particle accelerators), but a bomb which releases large numbers of nuetrons - without a large explosive yeild. They are based on standard nuclear weapons, with special attention paid to increase nuetron yeild without increasing explosive yeild.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   

We know what a neutron bomb is... yet to my knowledge one has never been set off. For all we know it could rip a hole in the thingy we like to call the space time continumumum.

Ummm..sorry but you are WAY off there. First, there have been neutron bombs made and tested, starting in the 1970's during the cold war. Russia was known to have a belt of neutron bombs all along their buffer countries to deter US forces from invading by tank. About ripping a hole in the spacetime continuum, that's just impossible with these things. Like was said above, a neutron bomb just emits a huge mass of neutrons that destroy all organic life. But I can see where its confusing, as an atom bomb involves the splitting of an atom...

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Who cares mate, get yaself a good solid shoe, no roach survives that!

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Alright. Thanks for clearing that up folks. Now I can go stick my tounge at my friend. Hehe.

new topics

join