It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remembering 9-11-2001 for a different reason

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It was a horrible day. I remember the feelings like they just happened. Anger, confusion, sadness, fear. But, I also remember another thing. That day, and in the days to follow, we didn't look at each other as black-white-Chinese-Mexican, or any other outward appearance limiter. We looked at each other as AMERICANS. We hugged each other for comfort. Never worrying about the hate that seeps into our daily lives

I sure don't want to repeat the horror, but the togetherness and unity....yea...I miss that.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I remember watching the second plane hit on TV. I was working with disabled children at the time, and there were five of us in the room at the time. Two staff members and three mums, all three of whom happened to be from Pakistan. I remember sitting there in horror as the second plane hit and it slowly dawned on all five of us women that this wasn't an accident.
I remember one of the mums slowly turning round to me and holding my hand. We sat together for ages like that. We spoke about the Americans and how they were going to get through this but their nationality didn't matter. It was a human tragedy and borders didn't seem to matter. It's sad it takes a disaster for us to unite with our cousins overseas, but we take so much for granted that sometimes we have to be shocked out of our comfy paradigms to see the bigger picture.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I really respect your message and I share the wish. For a very short and brief time we did transcend and become a single people. Sadly that unity quickly got packaged into hatred of another group and led to some pretty ugly things.

Sadder still, to me... that we seem to require great tragedy and loss to have even a temporary catharsis about the value of love and life.

S&F.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Sadder still, to me... that we seem to require great tragedy and loss to have even a temporary catharsis about the value of love and life.

S&F.

Isn't that because we only value what we might end up losing? We take so much for granted. Too much, actually.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

S&F.

Yep, I teared up a bit when writing this for that very reason. Why can't our lives be just as important on a nice sunny day with no tragedy?

I also remember what a fantastically beautiful day September 12th was. I pulled over in a park and walked around the grass by myself thinking about things and just couldn't get over how beautiful the sky was and how much I didn't think about those little things very much.

Just as some have tried so hard to separate us, I hold out hope that someone will come along an unite us again, as Dr. King tried so hard to do.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

I was driving to a job and listening to the radio. they were talking about the first plane hitting and how it was a confusing accident and how could that happen. then when I got to the job, they were getting a TV out to watch the news. I don't remember if I saw the second plane live or just replays, but we all just starred at the TV and didn't move or talk for what seemed like an eternity.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Based upon the way things are going in the US, I think you'll be missing that feeling of unity for a very, very long time. Disunity is most likely only going to increase, IMHO. I'd suggest you want "Unity" you go to Canada.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Based upon the way things are going in the US, I think you'll be missing that feeling of unity for a very, very long time. Disunity is most likely only going to increase, IMHO. I'd suggest you want "Unity" you go to Canada.

Something I was taught at a very young age. Anything worth having, it worth working for.

If we all just gave up, this country wouldn't even be here. I have to believe that things can move in a positive direction. They just aren't right now. A catalyst will come along and fix it as it always does. I just hope it's a smooth peaceful one.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Twelve plus years of war and destabilization of Iraq giving rise to ISIS. Afghanistan was a strategic move for gas pipelines and opiates.

The lives lost in 2001 are a fraction of those killed, maimed, or displaced since that had no involvement in the events of that day. That is the saddest fact about 11 September.

Plus the Patriot Act, the Department of Homeland Security, getting your asshole checked at the airport...a bunch of people waving tiny made in China US flags was just hip at the time.
"You're either with us, or against us", no bid Halliburton contracts, $4.50/gallon gas if available,

Yeah, I didn't wave a flag. I had questions on that day, I still have unanswered ones now.
edit on 11-9-2015 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

I feel bad for you if you truly missed the feeling I described in the OP. Yea, we all got off track pretty quick and lots of idiots did lots of stupid things as a result, but the unity was very real and had nothing at all to do with tiny flags made in China or Japan. It was inside, however short lived.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I wasn't about to blindly follow just because of a disaster. I felt bad for the people and first responders, but too many questions were raised that day and the response from the government? When can we attack Iraq? 17 of the 19 were Saudis. When can we attack Afghanistan?

I suffered under the "you're either with us or against" mentality because I could see through the bs back then. I watched the debates for the patriot act. I saw democracy dying even though it had been circling the drain for years.
It took lawsuits for first responders to get paid for their ailments.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

no arguments there. just had a different mindset for this thread. there are plenty of 9-11 thread rehashing all the mistakes and stupidity. I was just reflecting on a positive note.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I have to say that I agree with much of what you say. Sometimes I feel like I'm being manipulated by the media and all the coverage.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Sorry...I respect you and didn't mean to bring up the bad that followed.
It's just hard because I was in the minority (in Nebraska of all places) by questioning the actions that followed. Lost friends and was shunned by relatives because I wasn't just going along with the USA, USA, USA vibe.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

no worries. I had some of the same feelings.

I'd just rather try to get people to put aside all the negativity associated with this day and try to focus on something I felt like was the one positive that came from this tragedy. (again, however short lived it was)

new topics

top topics

join