It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diamonds vs. Gold

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
My girlfriend and I had an interesting discussion about a week ago. We thought that outside of any aesthetic value (jewelry, fashion, etc.), which is actually more beneficial to our society? She said that she thinks diamonds are more useful to society than gold is, because we use it in so many different science experiments, tools, etc. I argued that I believe gold is more useful to us, for the same reasons, but instead of being used on saw blades, we use it on spacecraft.

I told her that I think it's a very valid discussion and an interesting argument, as I don't believe one side is undoubtedly right or wrong - and could pose for a decent debate. I'm interested in hearing what some of you guys think. Thoughts?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Your girlfriend obviously has a bias toward diamonds. Good luck with that.

On topic, I think gold has more practical use, but I agree with you that the argument could go either way. (I have a bias toward gold).

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Diamonds aren't as readily recognizable to the layman as gold.

Diamonds are "pretty" but like stamps, haven't as much intrinsic value as precious metals. The world turns on metals. Everything is made of metal or is made in a factory made of metal.

In a SHTF scenario, the diamond on moms diamond ring will be as worthless as the most valuable stamp.

The gold on that wedding band , however…
edit on 11-9-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
My argument would be for gold. Not sure if it'd be a very good one, but it just makes sense to me. People have been cutting stone without diamonds for thousands of years. Even the Egyptians had a thing for gold. It's used in electronics, satellites, spaceships, etc... Yeah, I'm goin with gold.
edit on 9 11 2015 by EequalsMC2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Schmidt1989

If your not already engage.....maybe she's hinting, hint hint.

I would go on the side of diamonds though, useful in tools, I'm in construction, gold wouldn't do anything but be used as a finish.

P.L.U.R.
edit on th52Fri, 11 Sep 2015 10:52:27 -0500K201592730am9 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I would have to say diamonds as well because of their usefulness for cutting tools. There are just some substances which are so hard that nothing else but diamonds will cut them. Sure, gold is used in electronics and spacecraft and whatnot, but at least in the case of electronics, other metals can be used (though not as efficiently as gold) but I don't know enough about gold's uses in space travel to know if anything else could possibly be used.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Apples and oranges. They have different uses. It's like trying to compare iron and rubber.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
I would have to say diamonds as well because of their usefulness for cutting tools. There are just some substances which are so hard that nothing else but diamonds will cut them. Sure, gold is used in electronics and spacecraft and whatnot, but at least in the case of electronics, other metals can be used (though not as efficiently as gold) but I don't know enough about gold's uses in space travel to know if anything else could possibly be used.

Gold is better at radiation shielding than lead. You can see it on the visors of a spacesuit helmet.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I'd say equal but different.

Diamond is useful as an industrial tool for cutting, grinding, polishing, etc.

Gold is useful as a conducting material in electronics (computers, phones, etc.)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Diamonds are made on this planet by the planet starting with coal and then millions of years later, a diamond.

Gold is not made on this planet and all the gold that we have is all that's ever been here and all that ever will be here (unless we bring some back from space vacation)

Gold is only created by super nova star explosions.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: NowWhat

I believe a large part of our diamonds arrived on earth via meteorite.

I may be wrong.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
there are so many diamonds that their public release is controlled. diamonds are used on all the drill bits that drill into rock......the only reason we pay so much for a little stone to put in our jewelry is because we have been conditioned to think it is so valuable......gold is a lot rarer than diamonds

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: NowWhat

Ding ding we have a winner!

Diamonds of extreme high quality can be cheaply manufactured. Plus DeBeers has warehouses full of them

Most gold on earth resides in the core. All gold on earth was splattered here by supernovae ejections.

Might be a buttload in space floating around. But until it hits us, it isnt here. And scientists have only made a few atoms of gold ever.

So yes, uou got it right first.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

The question is "Which is more beneficial to society"

The answer is that both diamonds and gold have their commercial and industrial uses -- diamonds are used for cutting and polishing, while gold has uses as an specialized electrical conductor, useful for electronics and computers.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
while gold has uses as an specialized electrical conductor, useful for electronics and computers.

...and producing antimatter (positrons).

In the 13 March Physical Review Letters, the team describes firing short pulses from an intense laser onto thin gold targets and creating a high-density positron source

physics.aps.org...

edit on 11-9-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
...and producing antimatter (positrons).

Ah, yes. Thanks.

That is one of gold's uses in the medical industry -- for medical imaging (antimatter positrons used in PET scanners).

I think we will also find more and more uses for diamonds as time goes on -- using the hardness of diamonds for creating super-durable materials, rather than than just using them for cutting and polishing. Carbon nano-threads that have a crystalline structure similar to diamonds may be useful as building material in the future -- such as for building a space elevator.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I believe a diamond is more conductive than silver but I'm not sure who wins the conductivity battle between diamond and gold. I'm guessing the diamond but I don't really know. Gold is used on many circuits and wiring harnesses because of it's great conductivity. I bet diamond would be even better but far too expensive.
edit on 11-9-2015 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Yes, and because of the electrical and non corrosive nature of gold, each and every computer, phone, and entertainment device depends on it to be able to operate.

Diamonds can make good cutting tools, grinders, and happy wives and girlfreinds.

But just try to take your girlfreinds phone from her. You will die.

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
a reply to: smirkley

The question is "Which is more beneficial to society"

The answer is that both diamonds and gold have their commercial and industrial uses -- diamonds are used for cutting and polishing, while gold has uses as an specialized electrical conductor, useful for electronics and computers.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: libertytoall
I believe a diamond is more conductive than silver but I'm not sure who wins the conductivity battle between diamond and gold. I'm guessing the diamond but I don't really know. Gold is used on many circuits and wiring harnesses because of it's great conductivity. I bet diamond would be even better but far too expensive.
You got your types of conductivity mixed up. Diamonds are electrical insulators, not conductors. Diamonds have good thermal conductivity but in the context of your discussion about circuits that doesn't appear to be what you meant.

I agree with Soylent it's a toss-up, there's no clear winner.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Gold has far more uses in everyday life. It's an easily malleable metal that can be made into tools (lol), as long as those tools aren't needed for heavy labor.

For example, lets assume you were the only person alive and you stumbled across an enormous deposit of gold. You could use simple rocks or lumps of wood to mold that gold into plates, spoons, pots & pans, accessories, etc. And depending on how much gold you found, you could even theoretically make bricks, walls, chairs, and other structures out of the gold.

Now let's assume you were the only person alive and you stumbled across an enormous deposit of diamonds. Most diamonds in the rough have the size & appearance of normal rocks. And they're small. You're not going to be able to make much of anything with those rocks, though they'd be pretty good in a slingshot. Even primitive accessories with them would suck because you probably wouldn't be able to cut them to give them the characteristic diamond "bling". Maybe they'd make good gravel for one of your pathways?

But if I was in a region-wide, crap hits the fan scenario, I'm taking diamonds every time. They're small, valuable, and barely weigh anything. I could have millions of dollars worth of diamonds hidden on me & you wouldn't notice, especially if they were investment grade diamonds. Anyway, I'd just take my precious stones, assume the appearance of a scruffy looking loser, then travel until I got to an advanced society. Then I'd trade those diamonds to get the things I'd need to start over in life. Gold is simply too heavy to carry around in large enough quantities to do this.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join