It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has 'Conspiracy Theory' Lost Its Negative Connotations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Has 'Conspiracy Theory' Lost Its Negative Connotations?
Research finds the label no longer implies an idea worthy of immediate dismissal.

Source- Pacific Standard

One way politicians deflect charges of wrongdoing is by uttering the words "conspiracy theory." The term suggests a certain level of looniness, conjuring images of paranoid people struggling to find sinister patterns in random events.

Or does it? University of Winchester psychologist Michael Wood decided to test whether the widely disparaged two-word phrase is really as pejorative as most of us assume.

To his surprise, he found it is not.
-
Source- Pacific Standard

"Even when someone's very first exposure to an allegation of political corruption is seeing it branded as a conspiracy theory, they are no less likely to take it seriously than if it is instead called a corruption allegation."

Also, since the following show has brought more information of the topic to the table I'm sharing this video:

Study Shows ‘Conspiracy Theory’ Insult Losing Power – #NewWorldNextWeek

Video-if it doesn't work above.
At 6:20 Has Conspiracy Theory lost it's negative connotations?

First part of the video talks about 9/11 Truth.

Labeling something a Conspiracy Theory had no effect on whether people believed something to be true as shared by the Study by the University of Winchester. Even during someone's first exposure to a topic labeled CT had no bearing on whether they believed it or not.
Did the romanticized view of conspiracy theory help it to lose it's negative stigma? That and or that more people are okay with questioning official narratives due to the free flow of information?

I see it as more than positive. Nonetheless, should be aware, if this pretty close to what's going on,what's next for "cognitive infiltration"?

What do you say ATS?

edit on 11-9-2015 by dreamingawake because: video correction

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Did the romanticized view of conspiracy theory help it to lose it's negative stigma? That and or that more people are okay with questioning official narratives due to the free flow of information?

I think people are tiring of the official narrative, that being that all 'conspiracies' are only 'theories'. They generated the term to keep minds locked into their dogma.

Mud in your eye main stream…

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Depends on to whom you say it.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I don't think so OP, i still get mocked for it

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The fact that the term "conspiracy theory" ever had a negative connotation at all is a statement about our collective capacity for independent thought versus accepted public opinion.

Or an organized attempt to devalue those who don't believe official government stories, for whatever reason.

Maybe a little of both.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I have noticed that more and more people seem to be "waking up".

I am still mocked for a few of my fringe beliefs. People I know that I never would have thought they would think outside the box have begun to do so. But I do see so many more shills than there used to be and their tactics have become extremely aggressive.

A new age with a higher density perhaps.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

It's been a dark magical spell that has persisted to veil
much corruption. Powerful words and labels are usually injected
into the population to support a spell. If you don't know by now
of the wicked people running this planet? It's because you're
afraid to face it.

a reply to: Ozsheeple

I think what might really help you. Is to further understand what you
are up against. It seems cut and dry to you. You are awake and others
won't listen to what you want to tell them. But your error is thinking
it's that innocent. When all you need to do, is take one step backwards
and see the portrait you are a part of with you there in it. And think of
the possibilities of what might be against you.
edit on Rpm91115v01201500000002 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Oh no. I just got used to be being negative. I find it quite reassuring of being the only conspiracy theorist in all my group of friends. More so I have actually made up some outlandish theories to impress my friends. Something along the lines of "I was anally probed by aliens last night".
My appologies to anyone who have ever been anally probed.
But, by Jove you can be the centre of attention at barbeques.

top topics

join